Montevideo General Information
Affable and cosmopolitan Montevideo often elicits comparisons, both good and bad, to nearby Buenos Aires. This is fair to neither city however, as both national capitals offer a different kind of vibe altogether. A short three hour ferry ride from Buenos Aires across the Río de la Plata, Montevideo is a compact metropolis of 1.8 million people, which represents more than half the population of Uruguay.
As the only significant urban area in the country and indeed, as the national capital, Montevideo is the undeniable academic, cultural, commercial, economic and political pulse point in Uruguay. Squeezed as the country is by both Argentina and mighty Brazil, as the heart of a nation, Montevideo is delightfully self-effacing, and yet, defiantly proud. City residents have much reason to be, with beautiful districts like the Ciudad Vieja and torrent of proximate beach resorts. The cultural and social heritage of Montevideo includes a nonpareil, eclectic architectural landscape, the infectious rhythms of candombe, tango, and of course, fútbol. Superb points of interest to explore in Montevideo include the Palacio Legislativo, Cabildo de Montevideo, Catedral Metropolitana, Museo Torres García and vibrant La Feria Tristán Narvaja Flea Market.
- Ciudad Vieja – Walking down the old road feels like time travel.
- Plaza de Independecia – It pays tribute to the heroes who brought independence to the country.
- Mausoleo de Artigas – The monument of Jose Gervasio Artigas is found in Plaza Independencia.
- Fortaleza General Artigas – Take a glimpse at Uruguay’s collection of armour and artillery.
- Museum of National History – It is built like a mosque. The country’s most important artefacts are stored here in Montevideo.
Montevideo Art & Culture
- Palacio Taranco – The museum features fascinating works of decorative art.
- MAPI – Home of stunning indigenous art and archaeology.
- Museo Blanes – A museum in Montevideo that houses 19th- to early 20th-century Uruguay art.
- Museo Torres Garcia – The marvellous creations of famous Uruguay artists are displayed here.
- Desfile de Llamadas – Carnival, a vivacious festival that gets celebrated in Uruguay every February.
- Punta Carretas Shopping Mall – It is a prison turned shopping mall. It has a variety of restaurants, a cineplex and wonderful boutiques.
- Manos del Uruguay – They are scattered around the city and sell woven products and handicrafts.
- Mercado del Puerto – It is a market in Montevideo packed with restaurants selling authentic Uruguay cuisine.
- Mercado de los Artesanos – A feast for your senses, artists and creators sell their creations here.
- Acatras del Mercado – Sells a wide array of awe-inspiring ceramics.
Gay & Lesbian Montevideo
- Sexual Diversity Plaza – The first monument honouring sexual minorities in South America was erected here.
- Chueca – A pre-dance lounge in Montevideo where the gay community usually hang out.
- Cain – Pronounced as “Caaa-eeen”, fully dressed hunks are flocked by a pack of men.
- Espacio Guambia – A concert place where you can lounge to local music.
- W Lounge – For the ultimate clubbing experience where some of the hottest Latin women hang out.
- Montevideo Beach – If you are seeking a spot to unwind and relax, this place is simply fascinating.
- Montevideo Bird Watching Sites – Home to a variety of local and migratory birds. Bird watching in the city is breathtaking, and you can see both native and migrant birds.
- Castillo Pittamiglio – These castles are just wonderful. Visit and reminisce about the past.
- Palacio Salvo – Take your family or loved ones here and you can see the amazing view of Montevideo’s skyline.
- Barrio Reus – The African neighbourhood shows the diversity in Uruguay. The rustic houses are just brilliant.
- The alluring waves are pretty awesome at Playa Honda. Try surfing, and you will not be disappointed with its wonderful waves up to 1.5 metres.
- Get a load of football memorabilia in the museum at the famous Estadio Centenario.
- See horse races held at the Hipodromo de Maronas.
- Cheer on the Club Nacional de Football at the Estadio Gran Parque Central.
- Catch a Defensor Sporting football game at the Estadio Luis Franzini of Montevideo.
- Palacio Legislativo
- Cabildo de Montevideo
- Teatro Solís
- Catedral Metropolitana de Montevideo
- Museo Torres García
- La Feria Tristán Narvaja Flea Market
- Puerto del Buceo
- Mercado de los Artesanos
- Montevideo Carnaval
- Festival Internacional de Tango de Montevideo
- La Vaca Parrilla
- El Rincon de las Poetas
- El Horno de Juan
- El Fogon
- Cantina Vasca
- El Tartamudo Café
- El Pony Pisador
- El Callejón
Montevideo has a humid subtropical climate, with mild, rainy winters and hot summers.
- Winter (June to August) 6-15°C
- Spring (September to November) 8-23°C
- Summer (December to February) 15-28°C
- Fall (March to May) 9-26°C
19 hotels in Montevideo
After Hotel Montevideo welcomes discerning travellers to a plush base offering a blend of neoclassical accents and modern appeal in this part of Uruguay. This Montevideo hotel puts corporate... More
" Located in the emblematic ""Mercado del Puerto"" /Port Market, DON is a boutique hotel for those who enjoy exclusivity. The exquisite design details are combined with a... More
Featuring tasteful accommodations and accessible location, Palladium Business Hotel Montevideo makes for an ideal base for travellers visiting Montevideo. This sophisticated hotel offers convenient... More
All our 65 spacious rooms are equipped with modern and contemporary furniture, state of the art technology and floor to ceiling windows offering great natural light in all rooms. At the hotel's... More
Esplendor Hotel Montevideo features a stylish haven ideal combining 1920's elegance and contemporary accents in the heart of the Art District in the Uruguayan capital. Aside from soaking up the sun... More
An ideal place for all travellers, the NH Columbia Hotel Montevideo offers a warm welcome, pleasant ambience and convenient facilities that makes your stay a relaxed one. GeneralIdeal for... More
Offering contemporary service and traditional hospitality, this property makes you to enjoy all the privileges, for an unforgettable stay. LocationSheraton Montevideo Hotel is strategically... More
Travellers exploring the historic Uruguay capital find suitable base at the plush accommodations and central location of Dazzler Hotel Montevideo. Aside from hitting the white sands of De Los... More
Experience the comfortable accommodation blended with a warm hospitality and unsurpassed service at the Holiday Inn Montevideo. GeneralThis property offers 2 well-equipped meeting rooms for... More