What travelers to Houston are saying
Space City, H-Town, or Bayou City are just some of the names used to describe Houston, the fourth most populated city in the US. From NASA’s Johnson Space Center to waterways that wind their way past the The Woodlands, Houston has a unique geography as well as community. For outdoor enthusiasts, Buffalo Bayou runs through Downtown Houston, which has revitalized areas offering trails for hiking and biking, musical performances and many restaurants and shops. There is also the Galleria close by, which is one of the largest malls in Houston for visitors to grab gifts and souvenirs.
Whether it's a ballgame at Minute Maid Park or a stroll through Houston Chinatown, the list of things to do in this Texan city are endless. There are art and culture among the cowboys and girls in Houston in the Museum District, Medical Center, and Reliant Park areas. So whether this is your first visit or your 20th to the city, saddle up, go for a fun ride and explore all that Houston has to offer.
Houston's Top 10
10. Menil Collection With art from the Byzantine era to the 20th century, this permanent collection is a Houston treasure.
5. Children's Museum Here Houston tourists and residents can enjoy watching their children's imagination soar with interactive exhibits in this ‘playground for the mind’.
9. Memorial Park Here visitors will find the Houston Arboretum, as well as 600 acres of jogging trails, green space for picnics, a pool and a fitness centre.
4. Downtown Aquarium Houston takes to the water at this amazing aquatic attraction with games, events, rides and a restaurant.
8. The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston Visitors will enjoy strolling through this magnificent structure filled with many types of exhibits, films and educational classes.
3. Museum of Natural Science Exhibits, a planetarium, IMAX theatre and butterfly centre will have visitors spending the whole day at this Houston museum.
7. Hermann Park From train rides to paddle boats, this park is a relaxing getaway in Houston.
2. Splashtown Houston This water park will allure tourists to cool off, especially during summer vacations to the city.
6. Houston Zoo With more than 50 acres to traverse, this zoo offers visitors 4-D adventures, an African forest, food and a lot of fun.
1. Space Centre Houston This is the place to visit for those who love the exploration of space. Here visitors can tour NASA or go on a mock space mission.
- George Ranch Historical Park – A historical site in Houston that fills 480 acres with over 100 years of Texan history.
- Bishops Place – This is Walter Gresham’s mansion, made out of steel and stone.
- Grand 1894 Opera House – Considered one of the finest historical restorations.
- Battleship Texas – One of the last battleships to take part in World War I and II and the first to become a museum.
- Historic Strand District – Appreciate turn-of-the-century architecture and find entertainment.
Houston Art & Culture
- Houston Theatre District – Houses six performance halls and is home to nine major performing arts groups.
- Bayou City Art Festival – Considered one of the top art festivals in the country.
- San Jacinto Monument and Museum of History – Home to one of the biggest collections of Texas artefacts, art and history.
- American Cowboy Museum – Home to the preserved heritage of Native Americans, blacks and Hispanics in the area.
- 1940 Air Terminal Museum – Promoting the part Houston has played in the history of civil aviation.
- The Galleria – This high-class Houston shopping mall is one of the busiest in the country.
- 18 Hands Gallery – Brings the unique works of many wonderful clay artists together in one place.
- 310 Rosemont – A denim boutique and bar in the River Oaks Shopping Centre.
- 99 Ranch Markey – A great mix and incredible selection of Asian foods at reasonable prices.
- Affection Boutique – This shop offers a hand selection of pieces from around the world.
Gay & Lesbian Houston
- Pride Parade – Houston parade held yearly at the end of June.
- Blur – A great place to party and dance the night away.
- Brazos River Bottom – A country and western place with lots of music and dancing.
- F Bar – A place for clubbing, yummy drinks, an outdoor area and small dance floor.
- In-N-Out Burger – A full bar that offers great food.
- Art Car Parade – Amazing parade in the middle of May that includes spectacular additions each year.
- Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo – Held from late February to early March, this is the biggest livestock and rodeo show in the world.
- Herman Park – The most visited park in Houston that covers 445 acres and includes many local attractions.
- Market Square Park – A lovely place outdoors where you can find public art, entertainment and food.
- Sam Houston Park – Dedicated to Houston’s historic past and a lovely place to take in the sights.
- Minute Maid Park is home to the Houston Astros baseball team.
- The Houston Motocross brings international competitors for its yearly race in May.
- To catch a game with the Rockets basketball team, check out the Toyota Centre.
- The Reliant Stadium is home to the Texans football team.
- Houston hosts the yearly Shell Houston Open golf tournament in April at the Redstone Golf Club.
The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo starts the yearwith bucking broncos, concerts, and enough food for everyone at this Texas-sized event.
Houston International Festival comes in April and is a family-friendly event with arts, crafts, food and fun celebrating the many cultures that make up the city.
For May, the Art Car Parade in Houston is a fantastically fun event where artistic expression goes mobile. This free event takes place along the Allen Parkway, from Waugh to Bagby.
Freedom Over Texas has Houston lit up with all-day events on the Fourth of July, then as night falls the sky is filled with a phenomenal fireworks display.
Houston Hot Sauce Festival heats up the month of September. Visitors will be entertained, educated and set ablaze with this fiery festival.
Texas Renaissance Festival in Houston is one of the nation's largest acclaimed Renaissance fairs, where the sights, sounds, and tastes of the 16th century come alive for eight weekends in October and November.
Theatre District Open House fills Houston with performing arts companies showing off their upcoming lineup of theatrical events in the fall.
For more 20 years, Houston has started the holiday season with the Uptown Tree Lighting Ceremony,which takes place at Post Oak Boulevard, between San Felipe and Westheimer.
December wouldn't be complete without the Texas Bowl game. This annual game in Houston, a football-loving city, is usually played in Reliant Stadium.
When To Go
April through November is the best time to visit Houston. From summer to fall, temperatures range from highs of 90°F (32°C) during the day to evening lows around 65°F (18°C).
From December through February, the Houston winter weather is mild with occasional freezes and snowfall.
Spring is in the air from March through May in Houston, and the weather is beautiful and comfortable with daily highs of 72°F (22°C).
Houston air transportation includes two airports: the William P. Hobby Airport (HOU) and the George Bush Airport (IAH), which is where most flights to Houston land.
Transportation by bus is offered by Greyhound. Houston has a full-service bus station located at 2121 Main Street near Midtown.
Travelling to Houston by boat or ferry can be done on cruise lines that operate from the Port of Galveston, just 45 miles south of the city.
The fourth most populous city in the United States of America is a complete, global destination. Metro Houston has close to six million people and believe it or not, is home to more Fortune 500 headquarters than any other city except New York. Throw in a superb arts and culture scene, vast ethnic diversity and fabulous restaurants and nightlife and the Texas city comes out on top.
While undeniably a big metropolis, Houston is easy to navigate. The city has many notable areas to explore, from the Museum District to the Theater District. Both offer marvelous points of interest, such as Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, Hermann Park, the Houston Museum of Natural Science, Bayou Place and the Wortham Theater Center. NASA's Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center is the reason Houston got the nickname “Space City” of course and the home of Mission Control is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the Lone Star State.
Attractions & Activities
Restaurant & Nightlife
Houston has a humid subtropical climate, with four distinct seasons.
- Winter (November to February) 7-23°C
- Spring (March to May) 13-30°C
- Summer (June to August) 23-34°C
- Fall (September to October) 17-32°C
Houston, TX on Wikipedia
Offering an unbeatable combination of comfort, convenience and outstanding personal service, the JW Marriott Hotel Houston is just the place for you to relax. GeneralThe JW Marriott hotel has... More
1750 West Loop South Map
Rate includes breakfast
Whether travelling for business or pleasure, the Houston Marriott West Loop with its friendly hospitality, modern conveniences and superior service will make your holiday a pleasant and memorable... More
5011 Westheimer at Post Oak Map
Save 15% on your stay
If you are planning for a particular holiday at Houston, then The Westin Oaks Houston At The Galleria is the perfect place for you to reside. GeneralThe Westin Oaks Houston At The Galleria's... More
2400 West Loop South Map
Save 20% on your stay
Whether you are here as a corporate or leisure traveller, attending a meeting or social function, enjoying a vast array of shopping or just relaxing, the property provides everything you may need... More
Love The Brand But This May Be My Last Stay
Connected to Interstate 610, Hotel Derek is a well-located boutique haven that combines modern urban comforts and laidback Texan charm ideal for business and leisure visits in Houston. Tourists... More
Being placed in a convenient zone and offering comfortable accommodation in a luxurious environment, the Royal Sonesta Hotel Houston Near The Galleria is a world of fun and fantasy. GeneralThis... More
Hilton Houston Plaza/Medical Center is an impressive hotel that comes with an exceptional location, surrounded by natural splendors and impeccable service to keep you satisfied throughout your... More
Offering cosy accommodation and services, the Crowne Plaza Houston Suites Southwest Hotel invites both families and individual travellers for an unforgettable stay. GeneralThe Crowne Plaza Suites... More
The Westin Galleria Houston offers elegant accommodation and modern facilities in a quiet area to make your stay in Houston a pleasant one. General Whether you're planning a small meeting, large... More
Great shopping experience
111 North Post Oak Lane Map
Save 10% with advance purchase
Whether travelling for business or pleasure, the Houstonian Hotel Club and Spa provides contemporary accommodation and excellent friendly service to make your stay a pleasant one. GeneralThis... More
Love it from start to finish
Refine your search
- Houston Arboretum and Nature Center hotels
- Water Wall hotels
- Houston Symphony hotels
- Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens hotels
- Beer Can House hotels
- Wall Memorial hotels
- The Menil Collection hotels
- Rice Stadium hotels
- Rice University Trail hotels
- The Lillie and Hugh Roy Cullen Sculpture Garden hotels
- Museum of Fine Arts hotels
- Lillie and Hugh Roy Cullen Sculpture Garden hotels