Niagara Falls hotels
Niagara Falls Rundown
The New York State side of the “Honeymoon Capital of the World” may look worse for the wear but worry not. Beneath the dingy back-streets Niagara Falls, United States version, has a lot of charm. The very grit and dodgy nature of the city of 50,000 people in the shadow of Buffalo calls to mind the Henry Hathaway film noir that made Marilyn Monroe a star. Alas however, Niagara Falls was rather different when Niagara was made over half a century ago.
Still, Niagara Falls, New York works best as a counterpoint to the antiseptic, theme restaurant and casino allure of Niagara Falls, Ontario, on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge. While the U.S. side has none of the neon flash, it has a lot more urban authenticity. A good, non-ironic dive bar scene, under the radar public and state parks and a few solid relics of turn of the last century architecture fill the itinerary beyond the obvious star of the show. Spend a night or two, tops, and shun fantastical visions of storybook romance in order to appreciate and enjoy Niagara Falls for what it is.
Niagara Falls’s Top 10
10. Fashion Outlets of Niagara Falls fulfill all those shop ‘til you drop desires.
5. Fort Niagara State Park has snowshoe and cross-country ski trails in winter and abundant summer recreation too.
9. United Office Building is a foremost expression of skyscraper Art Deco mastery.
4. Prospect Point Observation Tower offers the best bird’s eye view in Niagara Falls.
8. Whirlpool State Park Picnic over the Niagara Whirlpool and Gorge.
3. Cave of the Winds allows visitors to get up close and personal with Bridal Veil Falls.
7. Seneca Niagara Casino Hotel is the largest hotel in New York State outside of Manhattan.
2. Hyde Park is second only to Central Park in the state of New York.
6. Aquarium of Niagara has some notable marine life, from sea lions to giant sturgeon, penguins to sharks.
1. Niagara Falls State Park encompasses what everyone who comes to Niagara Falls wants to see.
Niagara Falls History
- Old Fort Niagara – A popular Niagara Falls attraction, this fort has been sitting on the Niagara River since the 18th century.
- Martin House Complex –This historical landmark was built by Frank Lloyd Wright.
- St Mary of the Cataract Church – Containing more than 1,000 relics, this church has been beautifully restored.
- Nikola Tesla Memorial – This popular memorial is dedicated to the life and work of one of the world’s greatest inventors.
- Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural National Historical Site – Visit the site where one of America’s presidents was sworn into office.
Niagara Falls Art & Culture
- Niagara Art and Culture Center – This popular spot is host to many art shows and cultural events.
- Castellani Art Museum at the Falls – A popular Niagara Falls gallery features falls-related art.
- Daredevil Museum – See some of the memorabilia of past Niagara Falls daredevils, including the barrels people used to go over the falls.
- Das House German Heritage Museum – This museum was built in the late 19th century and tells the story of German immigrants.
- Niagara Gorge Discovery Center – This centre has interactive displays that explain the evolution of Niagara Fall
Niagara Falls Shopping
- Fashion Outlets of Niagara – Boasting over 150 stores, this is a popular shopping spot in the area.
- Honeymoon Capital Souvenirs – Buy friends and family a souvenir at this shop.
- Little Italy – This area of Niagara Falls illustrates the rich history of the area and is a great place to dine.
- Niagara Falls City Market – Visit the fruit and vegetable market three days a week.
- Three Sisters Trading Post – This unique store is located just a short walk from Niagara Falls.
Gay & Lesbian Niagara Falls
- Q – This bar is near Niagara Falls and offers a cosy atmosphere and friendly staff.
- Roxy’s – One of the most popular lesbian bars in the area, it is famous for its karaoke.
- Marcella Show Club and Lounge – Located just a few miles from Niagara Falls, this is the largest gay bar in the area.
- Cathode Ray – This bar caters to the gay and lesbian community of Niagara Falls.
- Underground – Providing the best of relaxation and dancing.
Niagara Falls Outdoor
- Cave of the Winds – You can stand just a few feet away from the powerful Niagara Falls and get soaked on the Hurricane Deck.
- Deveaux Woods State Park – With playgrounds and hiking trails, this park is a great place to spend a day.
- Hyde Park – Everything from ice skating to fishing can be done at this popular park.
- LaSalle Waterfront Park – A great place to walk a trail near Niagara Falls or see the panoramic views.
- Maid of the Mist Boat Tour – Waterproof clothing is necessary for this tour, which is one of the most popular.
Niagara Falls Sport
- Play volleyball or basketball at the Oppenheim County Park.
- Ride a bike along the Niagara Gorge Ridge trail for great exercise and views of Niagara Falls.
- Go skiing or snowshoeing at the Joseph Davis State Park in Niagara Falls.
- Race your family and friends at Ransomville Speedway in Niagara Falls.
- Jump aboard a high-powered jet-ski near Niagara Falls and race through the Niagara River Gorge.
Niagara Falls Events
The Maid of the Mist boat tour has been in operation, in one form or another, since 1846.
Whirlpool Jet Boat Tours offer a more daredevilish way to enjoy the power of the falls.
Whirlpool Golf Course tees it up from April to October.
Niagara Falls Blues Festival features an impressive bill of talent every September.
Niagara Wine Festival takes place on the other side of the falls in the Niagara Peninsula viticulture area in the province of Ontario, Canada.
Winter Festival of Lights illuminates the falls on the Ontario side of the border in November and December.
When To Go
Niagara Falls has a humid continental climate with four distinct seasons. One of them, summer, predictably draws the vast majority of annual visitors.
Temperatures in June, July and August - the bread and butter tourist season - range from 56°F (13°C) to 79°F (26°C). On the other end of the spectrum, conditions in winter waver between 16°F (-9°C) to 32°F (0°C).
Niagara Falls receives 2 in (51 mm) of rain a month, minimum, with significant snowfall throughout the winter season.
The most popular way to arrive in Niagara Falls, New York is by car. Many come via the likes Toronto (1 hour, 45 minutes), Buffalo (25 minutes), Rochester (1 hour, 30 minutes), Cleveland (3 hours, 40 minutes) and New York City (7 hours).
The Niagara Falls Amtrak station is at 27th Street and Lockport Road. A number of operators provide coach bus service to the city as well.
Within the city proper, a car is the only viable way to get around. One can, however, cover a lot of ground on foot.
Seneca Niagara Resort and Casino invites the guests for a comfortable stay by offering excellent amenities and quality services. This property has a casino, spa, sauna, fitness centre and indoor... More
great trip with wife and son
Boasting an incredible location just two blocks from a World Wonder, welcome to the newly built Wingate by Wyndham Niagara Falls hotel. Find many delights within walking distance of this downtown... More
300 3rd Street Map
Save 25% on your stay
With contemporary accommodations and convenient downtown location, Sheraton at The Falls Hotel, Niagara Falls, NY makes for an ideal base for travellers in the New York - Ontario border. This... More
Offering comfortable accommodation and convenient facilities, the Holiday Inn Niagara Falls provides you with all of the quality amenities to make your stay a memorable one. General If you are... More
Good Value Hotel
Featuring an elegant decor and a warm hospitality, the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Niagara Falls welcomes you for an unforgettable vacation. GeneralGuests travelling on business purpose can... More
Featuring well-equipped accommodations with scenic Niagara Falls views housed in a 1923 property, Red Coach Inn makes for an ideal base for holidaymakers in a getaway in this side of New York.... More
Offering outstanding personal service and comfortable accommodation, the Quality Hotel and Suites At The Falls is an ideal place for both business and leisure travellers. GeneralThe Quality Hotel... More
Positioned on the riverside in Niagara Falls, Four Points By Sheraton Niagara Falls Hotel offers a relaxing sanctuary for business and leisure travellers visiting this part of Canada. From the... More
Whether you are on business, conference, vacation or simply have chosen to take a well-deserved break from everyday life, the Rodeway Inn Niagara Falls provides facilities that make your stay... More
Refine your search
- Bird Kingdom hotels
- Fallsview Indoor Waterpark hotels
- Nightmares Fear Factory hotels
- Greg Frewin Theatre hotels
- Queen Victoria Park hotels
- Skylon Tower hotels
- Niagara Fallsview Casino hotels
- Niagara Glen Nature Areas hotels
- Great Wolf Lodge Water Park hotels
- Niagara Parks Botanical Gardens hotels