As the second largest city in New York, Buffalo has multiple personalities and caters to everyone from athletes to art enthusiasts. Sports fans love catching games at the Ralph Wilson Stadiumand the HSBC Arena. With their creative dedication to the arts and architecture, Buffalo is host to the Albright Knox Art Galleryas well as homes by Frank Lloyd Wright.The Buffalo Museum of Scienceis a stunning building to explore natural history through interactive exhibits. Another well-known attraction in Buffalo is Niagara Falls,which can be seen by way of cruise tours, hot-air balloons or on foot. This geographical gem has drawn tourists with its amazing and exciting views since the 18th century.
For more outdoor adventures, tour the Buffalo & Erie County Naval & Military Parkwhere visitors get an up-close look at historic vessels and exhibits. After a long day of trekking through the city, rest your feet at one of the many restaurants and bars. From contemporary French cuisine to spicy Buffalo wings, this city will keep you well fed. So whether it's a football game or a hike to the falls, you’ll find something for your whole family in Buffalo.
Buffalo's Top 10
10. Buffalo City Hall Go sightseeing in Downtown Buffalo and take in the striking architecture of this magnificent art deco building in front of Niagara Square.
5. Buffalo Zoo Gardens Come feed, watch or even spend the night with the animals in this 23-acre urban zoo.
9. CEPA Gallery Pictures are worth a thousand words when you visit this gallery filled with photo exhibits, education and support for visual artists.
4. Herschell Carrousel Factory Visitors can go around and around viewing and exploring this museum in Buffalo with hand-carved carrousel animals, photo exhibits and free rides with admission.
8. Albright Knox Gallery As one of the oldest public arts institutes in America, visitors will discover that this Buffalo museum has both art and history on display.
3. Aquarium of Niagara From seal presentations to penguin feedings, this attraction has something for the whole family to enjoy.
7. Art Park Check out concerts and theatre productions overlooking the Niagara River gorge in Buffalo.
2. Old Fort Niagara As a historical landmark, the fort showcases 18th-century military architecture and living history events throughout the year.
6. Frank Lloyd Wright’s Darwin Martin House Visitors will enjoy touring and viewing the beautiful lines and innovative architecture of this home in Buffalo.
1. Niagara Falls State Park This park overlooks the Niagara Gorge and has many activities like the Maid of Mist tours, food and a museum.
- Erie Community College City Campus – Originally Buffalo’s main post office, renovated in 1975.
- Darwin D. Martin House Complex – A historic building showing off the prairie style of Frank Lloyd Wright.
- St Joseph’s Cathedral – Opened in 1851 and built out of grey limestone with stained-glass windows showing the incarnation, resurrection and redemption.
- Connecticut Street Armoury – National Guard armoury built in 1899 and resembles a castle.
- Edward M. Cotter Fireboat – Built in 1900 and still being used to put out fires on the waterfront.
Buffalo Art & Culture
- Temple Beth Zion – A popular national landmark used as a house of worship since 1850.
- Buffalo Theatre District – Twenty blocks of performing arts venues, nightclubs and restaurants.
- Albright-Knox Art Gallery – Featuring modern and contemporary 20th-century art from the likes of Pablo Picasso and Jackson Pollock.
- Art Dialogue Gallery – A not-for-profit gallery dedicated to exhibiting regional artists and running art workshops.
- Kleinhans Music Hall – Known worldwide as acoustically excellent and home to the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Hertel Avenue – A popular shopping district with various ethnic restaurants.
- Elmwood Village – A vibrant neighbourhood with shops, boutiques, restaurants and bars.
- Village of East Aurora – The place to find antique dealers, old-fashioned stores and ice cream shops.
- Broadway Market – The place to be if you have a taste for ethnic cuisine.
- Fashion Outlets of Niagara Falls USA – Outlet shoppers’ paradise with over 150 brand-name stores.
Gay & Lesbian Buffalo
- Bear Trap – Annual event in which gay men gather in Buffalo to eat, drink, dance and party.
- Women’s Gifts – A December event in which lesbians come together to celebrate women artists, crafters and musicians.
- Pride Weekend – June celebration of the lives of LGBT people, including a pride parade and Dyke March.
- Marcella – No. 1 dance club and the largest gay, drag and bi club in Buffalo.
- Q – Gay club located in an upscale area where you can just chill and relax.
- Charles E. Burchfield Nature & Art Centre – Featuring 29 acres of woods and garden and more.
- Delaware Park – Comprises 365 acres with a golf course, tennis courts, baseball diamonds and the Buffalo Zoological Gardens.
- Niagara Falls – A 12,000-year-old natural waterfall draining Lake Erie in Lake Ontario.
- Buffalo Zoo – Displaying over 1,000 species of animals, 300 types of plants and a new lion and tiger habitat.
- Tifft Nature Preserve – Urban nature reserve great for bird watching, hiking, snowshoeing and cross-country skiing.
- Catch a race at the Buffalo Raceway.
- Do some hiking and biking around Niagara Gorge.
- Grab your fishing pole and charter a boat on Lake Erie, Lake Ontario and Niagara River.
- Go boating or kayaking along the border on the Niagara River.
- Whether you are an amateur or a near-pro, grab your clubs and hit the links at Ivy Ridge.
Winterfest gets February going with beer tasting, sports activities, food and fun for residents and visitors in Buffalo who like to venture out into winter weather.
The St. Patrick’s Day Parade is the largest celebration of Irish heritage in Buffalo. Visitors are encouraged to join the crowds along Delaware Avenue to watch dancers and bands.
Buffalo Riverfest in June has tourists dancing, eating, drinking beer and taking fireboat rides during this summer festival.
In July the Taste of Buffalo will fill your plate with scrumptious food and drink from more than 50 restaurants and wineries during this huge two-day event.
National Buffalo Wing Festival is held on Labor Day weekend and is filled with a lot of wings, hot sauce and family fun.
Buffalo unveils their upcoming theatre season in fall with Curtains Up, an event that includes a street party, black-tie dinner and pre-theatre viewings.
The Buffalo Niagara Film Festival is hosted each September by filmmakers and screenwriters who offer a festival filled with cinematographic arts for new filmmakers and visitors.
Oktoberfest is an evening event featuring a German beer garden, food and entertainment for visitors coming to Buffalo in October.
Take a drive through the Fairground Holiday Light Festival in Buffalo and enjoy holiday displays, a gift shop, caroling and fireworks.
First Night in Buffalo is a great way for visitors to celebrate New Year’s Eve with fireworks, jugglers, music and much more.
When To Go
Summer and fall in Buffalo are warm seasons, cooled by the breezes from Lake Erie. Buffalo has average high temperatures of 75°F (24°C) and average lows of 60°F (16°C) from May to October.
Once winter approaches in November, the air becomes colder with sharp blowing winds. From January through April, Buffalo experiences some of the coldest winters in the country due to the nearby Great Lakes. Snowstorms blow in with low frigid temperatures of 19°F (-7°C).
By air, visitors will land at the Buffalo Niagra International Airport located in Cheektowaga, which is 16 miles east of downtown Buffalo.
Amtrak operates train services to Buffalo and arrives in one of three stations in the area. Visitors can travel from the Depew station to other parts of the city by bus or taxi.
Greyhound buses serve the city of Buffalo with a large bus depot in the downtown area.
Providing modern comforts, amenities and friendly service, this property will certainly make your stay pleasant and relaxing one. GeneralThis property offers well-equipped meeting rooms that can... More
Always stay here in Buffalo
Featuring an elegant decor and a warm hospitality, Hyatt Regency Buffalo welcomes travellers for an unforgettable vacation. GeneralThe Grand Ballroom at Hyatt Regency Buffalo Hotel is the finest... More
10 Lafayette Square Map
Complimentary wired and Wi-Fi Internet Access
Welcome to Hilton Garden Inn Buffalo Downtown. Located less than 10 miles from Niagara Buffalo International Airport and easily accessible from I-90, 290, 33 and 5, this friendly hotel in downtown... More
125 High Street Map
Signature chocolate chip cookie at check-in
With its comfortable accommodations, central location and friendly service,DoubleTree Club by Hilton Hotel Buffalo Downtown makes for an ideal base while in Buffalo, New York. Within close distance... More
220 Delaware Avenue Map
Free On The House hot breakfast, Wi-Fi
With a prime location, the Hampton Inn & Suites Buffalo Downtown offers the kind of warm hospitality, inviting atmosphere and top-notch services sure to please business and leisure travelers alike.... More
200 Delaware Avenue Map
Free cooked-to-order breakfast, Evening Reception
Offering cityscape views and pleasant atmosphere, Embassy Suites Buffalo provides spacious and stylish hotel accommodations for the guests travelling on leisure or business purpose. Guests at this... More
Offering comfortable accommodation and convenient facilities, the Holiday Inn Buffalo Downtown provides you with all of the quality amenities to make your stay a memorable one. GeneralConference... More
The Buffalo Marriott HARBORCENTER is located in downtown Buffalo just off Interstate 190 in the Canalside entertainment district and is attached to First Niagara Center, the home of the Buffalo... More
Best Western Inn on the Avenue Buffalo is an ideal location for lodging. The inn offers great ambience and comfort. The Inn has a wonderful architecture with elegant interiors complementing it.... More
One Canalside, 125 Main Street Map
Rate Includes Breakfast
The all new Courtyard® by Marriott Buffalo Downtown/Canalside provides greater flexibility and choices for guests. This downtown Buffalo hotel features an innovative lobby with inviting, flexible... More
Refine your search
- HSBC Arena hotels
- First Niagara Center hotels
- Ralph Wilson Stadium hotels
- Alumni Arena hotels
- UB Stadium hotels
- Niagara Fallsview Casino hotels
- Skylon Tower hotels
- Queen Victoria Park hotels
- Bird Kingdom hotels
- Fallsview Indoor Waterpark hotels
- Nightmares Fear Factory hotels
- Greg Frewin Theatre hotels