The host of the memorable 1996 Summer Olympics is a vibrant city, with a vast metro population of well over 5 million people. A major commercial and transportation hub, Atlanta is the gateway and unofficial capital of the South.
A notable role in the Civil War and Civil Rights Movement puts the city on the map for many tourists. Sweet Auburn is a U.S. National Historic Landmark District that contains many vital monuments, from the Martin Luther King, Jr., National Historic Site to the Odd Fellows Building and Auditorium. A tour of the peerless district is a must. Other points of interest like the world class Georgia Aquarium, World of Coca-Cola and CNN Center remain wildly popular with international visitors. Centennial Olympic Park preserves the legacy of the 1996 Games and affluent Buckhead is a superb entertainment and nightlife district. In the end however, Atlanta's quiet “Old South vs. modern global city” identity crisis is what makes the city so magnetic.
- Atlanta History Museum – This museum displays exhibits from historic moments in Atlanta.
- APEX Museum – An interactive museum dedicated to the African-American experience in the United States.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Historical Site – Visit the birthplace and burial site of Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Margaret Mitchell House – The home where author Margaret Mitchell wrote her literary masterpiece, “Gone With the Wind”.
- Oakland Cemetery – See the final resting place of many notable Georgians.
Atlanta Art & Culture
- HIGH Museum of Art – Atlanta’s premier art museum houses exhibits by artists such as Picasso, Monet and Warhol.
- Woodruff Arts Center – Home to several regular performances, including the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra.
- Fabulous Fox Theatre – The Fabulous Fox Theatre hosts live performances from famous musicians, actors and dance troupes.
- Michael C. Carlos Museum – This museum displays ancient art and artefacts from noted civilizations in Africa and Asia.
- Museum of Contemporary Art of Georgia – See original and modern paintings and sculptures.
- Lenox Square – The largest shopping mall in Atlanta, Lenox Square covers four floors and houses over 250 stores.
- Phipps Plaza – An upscale shopping mall with high-end shops.
- Discover Mills – A sprawling shopping plaza that features department stores, restaurants and a movie theatre.
- Atlantic Station – An urban mix of shopping, dining and entertainment in Midtown Atlanta.
- Little Five Points – The city’s eclectic section is home to several niche and offbeat shopping destinations.
Gay & Lesbian Atlanta
- Atlanta PRIDE Festival – The city's annual gay pride festival held in Piedmont Park every October.
- Black Gay Pride Weekend – A gathering of African-American LGBT individuals held every September.
- Swinging Richards – Gay club hoppers can have a swinging good time at the hottest male strip club in West Midtown.
- My Sisters’ Room – Visit the most popular lesbian bar in East Atlanta Village for fun, socializing and entertainment.
- Blake’s on the Park – Featuring drag queen performances every night, Blake’s on the Park is a top LGBT meeting spot in Midtown.
- Zoo Atlanta – The largest zoo and wildlife conserve in Georgia.
- Piedmont Park – Located in the heart of midtown Atlanta, Piedmont Park is the city’s biggest green space.
- Atlanta Botanical Garden – Get a look at rare and unique plant species and sculptures in this garden next to Piedmont Park.
- Centennial Olympic Park – Commemorates the athletes and the supporters of the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games.
- East Lake Golf Course – A PGA championship golf course in Decatur, Atlanta’s eastern suburb.
- Visit Turner Field and take in an Atlanta Braves baseball game.
- Buy a ticket to watch the Atlanta Falcons play NFL football at the Georgia Dome.
- Go hiking at Arabia Mountain State Park, just outside of the city.
- Sign up to run in the Peachtree Road Race, the largest 10K in the South.
- Watch the Atlanta Hawks play basketball at the Philips Arena.
- Georgia Aquarium
- High Museum of Art
- Sweet Auburn Historic District
- Grant Park
- World of Coca-Cola
- Atlanta Ballet
- Atlanta Braves
- Atlanta Jazz Festival
- Georgia Renaissance Festival
- National Black Arts Festival
- Bone's Restaurant
- Fat Matt's Rib Shack
- Aiko Lounge
- Beluga Martini Bar
- Five Spot
- Mood Lounge
Atlanta has a humid subtropical climate, with four distinct seasons.
- Winter (November to February) 1-17°C
- Spring (March to May) 7-27°C
- Summer (June to August) 19-32°C
- Fall (September to October) 12-28°C
Atlanta On Wikipedia
378 hotels in Atlanta, US
The Georgian Terrace Hotel has been the venue of choice for Atlanta's most prominent events and occasions. With its prominent features and services it is sure to make your stay a memorable one. ... More
Featuring excellent service, high standards of comfort and a friendly atmosphere, this Hilton Atlanta hotel is an ideal place to reside for both business as well as leisure travellers. GeneralThe... More
Charming and chic, The Artmore Hotel Atlanta is an independent boutique hotel housed in a restored Spanish Mediterranean-inspired building. This hotel in Atlanta, Georgia makes for an ideal base... More
Offering a unique atmosphere of tranquility and warm hospitality, Melia Atlanta Hotel is conveniently located on the edge of midtown and downtown, Melia Atlanta is perfectly suited for the business... More
267 Marietta Street Map
Representing the spirit of Atlanta, this luxurious hotel, which emphasize a feeling with more privacy and coziness is the perfect getaway from the modern day pressures. GeneralIf you are planning... More
BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn At the Peachtrees offers a rewarding living experience with great accommodation and exceptional services. GeneralThe property provides convenient banquet facilities and a... More
Offering a favourable location and relaxing atmosphere, Loews Atlanta Hotel is the right choice of accommodation for both leisure and business travellers, while visiting Atlanta. Outdoor... More
With deluxe accommodations housed in a historic building in the downtown area, The Ellis On Peachtree Hotel Atlanta makes for an ideal base in the Georgia capital. This city centre Atlanta hotel... More
Being located in the heart of Atlanta, the Hyatt Place Atlanta Downtown lends a unique comfort and intimacy that makes your stay a memorable one. GeneralWhile away your free time by visiting the... More