Fort Myers hotels
Fort Myers, Florida
Fort Myers, Florida, knows the art of seduction. Located on the banks of the Caloosahatchee River, the City Of Palms will welcome you like a lover, and once seduced, you’ll begin to see the light that exudes from this beautiful part of the world. The love affair intensifies as Fort Myers slowly shares its secrets with you, some of them dark and dirty, some of them the essence of light.
With both a slightly dark past and a passion for luminosity, Fort Myers hosts a wealth of history, culture and beautiful scenery. From its many museums and historical sites to its swinging clubs and bars, you’ll find some wild romance everywhere you look in Fort Myers. Spend some time with your loved one collecting shells on the sandy beaches, or have a fun day island hopping. Curl up with your loved one somewhere remote and uninhabited, or take your kids to the Imaginariumand a ball game at Hammond Stadium. Later in the evening you can head off to Ellington’s Jazz Clubor Doc Ford’s Rum Bar & Grilleto try the local ‘Floribbean’ cuisine, and dance the calories off to your choice of jazz, reggae or rock’n’roll.
Fort Myers’ Top 10
10. Go shell collecting at Sanibel Island Captiva and Cayo Costa and take a spectacular specimen or two back home.
5. Go to Pine Island and visit the local artist’s community of Matlacha, but be sure to pronounce it right! Mat La SHAY!
9. Visit Useppa Island’s Barbara Sumwalt Museum and see exhibits on everything from the Ice Age to the CIA.
4. Join Captain Robert Dallaert for an Air Expeditions Seaplane Ride over the islands off Fort Myers.
8. Tour the Boca Grande Lighthouse Museum on Gasparilla Island and check back after dusk to see this still-working monolith guide the local ships.
3. Take the kids to the Imaginarium in Fort Myersfor hands-on fun. Dig up a dinosaur and have a blast in the Hurricane room!
7. Experience the sunset and watch dolphins at play from secluded Captiva Island.
2. Take a wander through Fort Myers to the Edison – Ford Winter Estate and see the historical sites left by these famous local residents.
6. Discover Fort Myers’ fascinating local indigenous history at The Mound House in the Mound Key Archaeological State Park.
1. Be in Fort Myers for the Edison Festival of Light. See how the world used to get around at the Antique Car Show and get a good seat for the Grand Parade.
Fort Myers History
- Edison & Ford Winter Estates – These were the winter residences of Thomas Edison and Henry Ford.
- Fort Myers Historical Museum – This museum has exhibits on Fort Myers history from the Seminole Indians to the present day.
- McGregor Boulevard – This is one of the oldest streets in Fort Myers.
- Southwest Florida Museum of History – This museum offers a look at artefacts from Florida’s earliest days, including early human tools and dinosaur fossils.
- Burroughs Home – This Georgian mansion was built in 1901 by wealthy resident Nelson Burroughs.
Fort Myers Art & Culture
- Imaginarium – This interactive museum features exhibits about animals, science, dinosaurs and weather.
- Calusa Nature Centre and Planetarium – This centre is home to a planetarium, nature trails and a butterfly aviary.
- Edison Community College Gallery of Fine Art – Featuring contemporary art pieces, this gallery also has travelling exhibits by famous artists.
- Southwest Florida Symphony – Enjoy an evening of classical music at an orchestra concert.
- Arcade Theatre – This live stage venue hosts several performances each week.
Fort Myers Shopping
- Bell Tower Shops – This shopping plaza has over 50 stores and restaurants.
- Gulf Coast Town Centre – An indoor shopping mall with more than 100 stores.
- Tanger Outlet Centre – This sprawling shopping plaza offers deep discounts on name brands.
- Fleamaster’s Flea Market – An enormous, 400,000-square-foot market with over 900 vendors.
- Edison Mall – Give your credit card a workout at this 160-store shopping mall.
Gay & Lesbian Fort Myers
- Tubby’s Video Bar – Open to gays and lesbians of all ages, Tubby’s has karaoke, Nintendo Wii games and sports broadcasts.
- Bottom Line Lounge – With six different bars, live entertainment and foam parties, this is one of the hottest destinations for gays and lesbians in Florida.
- Gay and Lesbian Community Centre of Southwest Florida – Offering resources, support and a welcoming environment to people of all sexual orientations.
- The Office Pub – Have a gay old time at the oldest gay nightclub in Southwest Florida.
- Garbally on the Gulf – A gay-friendly inn located near the beach.
Fort Myers Outdoor
- Lakes Regional Park – This outdoor space on the lake is perfect for picnics and gatherings, with a community garden and a scale-model railroad.
- Manatee Springs State Park – This state park has wild manatees swimming free in the warm waters.
- Castle Golf – A family-friendly miniature golf course with a medieval theme and haunted forest.
- Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve – A natural wildlife preserve that is home to alligators, wild pigs and birds.
- Bonita Beach Park – This park on the Gulf of Mexico is a place to see dolphins and other sealife in the wild.
Fort Myers Sport
- Buy tickets to watch the Boston Red Sox spring training baseball games.
- Rent a boat from a local marina and go sailing.
- Watch a minor league baseball team play at Lee County Sports Complex.
- Book a chartered sport fishing tour.
- Play beach volleyball on the seashore.
Fort Myers Events
Get back to the dark ages in Fort Myers at the Annual Ye’ Riverdale Kiwanis Medieval Fair at the Lake Regional Park in January.
Late January and early February in Fort Myers is time for the annual Edison Festival of Light. The festival runs over three weeks and has endless activities and attractions.
The first weekend in February also hosts the annual Artfest Fort Myers with displays from more than 200 fine artists, art activities for the kids and great food.
Head to Sanibel Island just off Fort Myers in March for the Sanibel Shell Fair and Show and check out the natural wonders that wash up on the beach there. Get a Hot Dog and catch the Red Sox in training at the Fort Myers City of Palms Park at this time of year, also.
Get your salsa gear on for dancing in April at the Fort Myers Latin Jazz Festival at Centennial Park, and in May, don’t let the Annual Tarpon Fishing Competition get away.
In July it’s art season again with the annual SWFL LIVES! Group Art Show, with works by some of the best artists living in Fort Myers and other parts of southwest Florida.
Celebrate beachside at the Fort Myers Freedom Fest on Independence Day. Enjoy the family-friendly activities and stay for the fireworks.
Step up to the catwalk in August at the Fashions Ahoy Zonta Club Annual Celebrity Fashion Show and see the best in Fort Myers local designer garb.
Get down to South Fort Myers in October for the Southwest Florida Folk and Blues Fest and hear some great live music.
If you’re here in December, get out on the water and see the annual Fort Myers Holiday Boat Parade before ringing in the New Year at the Downtown Countdown in Downtown Fort Myers.
When To Go
Fort Myers has a comfortable climate year round. In winter, the average temperature is around 65°F (17°C), and it climbs to a very balmy 82°F (28°C) in the summer months, so be sure to pack your sunscreen.
Rainfall in the Fort Myers area is mild, and you’ll find that the summer months are wettest, with a monthly average rainfall of around 8.5 inches (215mm) dropping to a low of about 1.7 inches (45mm) during winter.
Fort Myers is suitable for a family holiday or a romantic getaway all year round, but get there early in the year if you want to take advantage of all the atmosphere and events taking place at the Edison Festival of Light.
Fort Myers, Florida, is serviced by the Southwest Florida International Airport, which is located about 19 kilometres south of the city. With 16 domestic and four international carriers including Delta, United, Continental, and US Airlines, you won’t have to look too hard for airfare.
The Greyhound Bus Terminal is located in downtown Fort Myers, and there’s a local Trolley service to get you around the beach areas, and buses and taxis are easy to find.
Some of the attractions in Fort Myers are located far apart, so if you want the best holiday experience, hire a car. Remember that you’ll need both your domestic and an international driver’s license.
5400 Plantation Road Map
Kids Eat Breakfast Free + Coupon Book with Savings
South Seas Island Resort Captiva welcomes travellers to a stylish retreat surrounded by nature parks and pristine seawater in Florida. While staying in Captiva Island, tourists should not miss the... More
6890 Estero Blvd Map
Summer Sale - Save 25% on your stay
Combined with splendour and serenity of natural surrounding, Holiday Inn Fort Myers Beach gives the feel of being in a classic island style resort. GeneralIn addition to the natural beauty at the... More
4th of July weekeend
Set amidst breathtaking flora and fauna, the Park Shore Resort Naples is a perfect venue for a pleasant as well as relaxing stay. GeneralDuring leisure, you can relax at the spa or take a... More
Surrounded by scenic waterways like Ostego Bay and Gulf of Mexico, Hidden Harbor Hotel & Suites Fort Myers offers an a reasonably priced lodging in a serene setting in Fort Myers. Ideally located,... More
12200 Tamiami Trail North Map
Signature chocolate chip cookie at check-in
Providing the casual elegance and relaxed atmosphere that characterizes beautiful city, this property is the prefect place to stay, while visiting Naples. GeneralThe DoubleTree Suites By Hilton... More
Island Inn Sanibel is located right on the beach enjoying the beauty of Sanibel Island. The architecture is contemporarily built. The interiors are brightly decorated to maintain a fresh and... More
7090 Cypress Terrace Map
Book early, Save big!� Enjoy 15% Off!
Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fort Myers is a modern inn that offers good standard of lodging and quality service. This property provides convenient transit option to the city attractions. Golf lovers... More
17260 Harbour Pointe Drive Map
Rate includes breakfast
Bask in the warmth of the Southern Florida sun at one of the premier Fort Myers, Florida resorts. Located on 85 waterfront acres at the tip of Fort Myers, the Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa... More
800 Vanderbilt Beach Road Map
Business Advantage - Arrival Day Cancel
Inn at Pelican Bay masterfully blends Mediterranean charm and Old World hospitality, as it offers cosy accommodations in Naples.This lovely boutique hotel is proud to be partnered with EuroSpa, a... More