Fort Lauderdale hotels
With a population close to 6 million, metropolitan South Florida is a formidable area of growth in the United States. Popular for scenic coastlines and balmy weather, the region almost triples in population at peak tourist time. The towns of Fort Lauderdale and Hollywood are especially attractive to visitors, with picturesque boardwalks, beachfront and a surfeit of recreational options.
Known as the "Venice of America" because of an elaborate canal network, Fort Lauderdale is built for tourism. The city marina is a primary port of call for cruise ships, pleasure crafts and yachts. Hollywood, while not as big, is nonetheless a top draw with snowbirds, particularly from the province of Quebec in Canada, for over 8 km of Atlantic Ocean coastline.
Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood, Florida, History
- Bonnet House Museum and Gardens – This is a former home of two artists and was constructed in 1921.
- Stranahan House – The oldest building in Fort Lauderdale that can be viewed through inexpensive, guided tours.
- Fort Lauderdale Historical Society – Preserves the history of the area, dating back to pre-European settlements.
- Old Dillard Museum – This museum focuses on black history in the Fort Lauderdale area.
- Museum of Art in Fort Lauderdale – This museum features various historical exhibitions of worldwide interest.
Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood, Florida, Art & Culture
- Riverwalk Arts & Entertainment District – Located along Las Olas Boulevard and featuring many restaurants and nightclubs.
- Broward Center for the Performing Arts – A multi-venue theatre that hosts opera shows, ballets, concerts, plays and community gatherings.
- Where the Boys Are – The Fort Lauderdale area and Hollywood beach first gained notoriety as a vacation spot due to the popularity of this film.
- Langerado Music Festival – An annual music concert often held in Fort Lauderdale during the early spring.
- International Swimming Hall of Fame – In addition to its swimming facilities, this spot holds a library and a museum.
Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood, Florida, Shopping
- Fort Lauderdale Swap Shop – This multi-use area features the biggest flea market in the world and a drive-in theatre with 14 screens.
- Casablanca Café – Serves Mediterranean food in a Moroccan-style building.
- Johnny V – Serves American food with a Southwestern taste.
- Bierbrunnen German Bar – Located in an alley, the bar serves genuine schnitzel and sauerbraten with beer.
- Ruff Riders – Stylish clothing with a virtual cult following.
Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood, Florida, Gay & Lesbian
- Villa Venice Men’s Resort – A gay-owned and operated hotel that is located in Fort Lauderdale, two blocks from the beach.
- Dania Beach – A beach that is popular with the gay community.
- Liberty Apartment Garden and Suites – Small hotel and winner of various small-lodging awards, such as the Pink Choice award.
- Inn Leather – A gay-centric hotel that is located on 19th street.
- Victoria Park – The gay neighbourhood in Fort Lauderdale.
Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood, Florida, Outdoor
- Hugh Taylor Birch State Park – The 180 acres of this park are located along the beach and include camping sites and nature trails.
- Hollywood Beach – More than five miles of beach open to the public.
- Ski Rixen – This is the only cable water-ski facility in South Florida.
- Jungle Queen Riverboat Cruise – You can cruise on New River while enjoying barbecue and shrimp.
- Florida Everglades Airboat Adventure and Wildlife Encounter Ticket – A good opportunity to tour the everglades in an airboat.
Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood, Florida, Sport
- Lockhart Stadium – See the Fort Lauderdale Strikers play a professional soccer game here.
- Bank Atlantic Center – During the fall and winter, you can watch the Florida Panthers play at home.
- Fort Lauderdale Stadium – Both the New York Yankees and the Baltimore Orioles train here in the spring.
- Fort Lauderdale Aquatic Complex – Location of the International Swimming Hall of Fame.
- Florida Atlantic University Owls – This college team plays and practices football at Lockhart Stadium.
Without beaches, Fort Lauderdale and Hollywood would cease to exist as tourist destinations. Ocean, sunshine and sand is what people come for. Combined, the two towns have almost 20 km of Atlantic coastline to enjoy.Flamingo Gardens
Although not the official state bird, flamingos are nonetheless a popular Florida symbol. Flamingo Gardens is a tropical conservation area with exotic plants and birds, that include flamingos of course.Tree Tops Park
A wonderful 358-acre park, Tree Tops features a freshwater marsh boardwalk, canoe and paddle boat rentals and Tequesta Indian landmarks that date back to the 16th century.Butterfly World
Vivid Butterfly World puts the colourful insects on display in a sequence of interactive and educational exhibits.Seminole Okalee Indian Village
The semi-authentic Seminole village in Hollywood recreates traditional native culture and traditions. Unfortunately, the village is located in the less authentic Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino.Las Olas Boulevard
Fort Lauderdale's vibrant main street is awash enough tourist shops to satisfy just about anyone. From beachwear to chain restaurants, bars and souvenirs, Las Olas is the pulsepoint of the city.Mills Pond Park
Mills Pond Park is a vast, 130-acre recreation and picnic area in Fort Lauderdale. With myriad leisure activities like batting cages, a large playground, nature trails and water-skiing, the park is ground zero for family fun.
EventsLas Olas Art Fair
A huge art fair comes to Fort Lauderdale's main drag every January.Fat Tuesday
Mardi Gras celebrations take over Hollywood Beach every year, with food stalls, parades and live music.Ocean Fest
The month of September brings the annual Ocean Fest to Fort Lauderdale's Atlantic reef, with dive exhibits, music and food.Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show
Billed as the largest boat exhibit in the world, the International Boat Show features over 1,500 vessels in a popular Fort Lauderdale event held every October.Riverwalk Blues & Music Festival
Held in downtown Fort Lauderdale on the beautiful Riverwalk every November, the eclectic Blues & Music Festival draws artists from all over the country.Hollywood Jazz Festival
A November staple, the Hollywood Jazz Festival offers musicians from all parts of America to showcase their love of jazz to appreciative audiences at the Hollywood Central Performing Arts Center.
South Florida, of which Fort Lauderdale and Hollywood are very much a part, has a tropical climate, with warm temperatures throughout the year. The wet season occurs between May and October.
- Winter (December to February) 15-25°C
- Spring (March to May) 17-30°C
- Summer (June to September) 23-32°C
- Fall (October to November) 19-30°C
2000 North Ocean Blvd Map
Save 20% On Your Stay
With deluxe units and breathtaking Atlantic Ocean views, Pelican Grand Beach Resort, A Noble House Resort makes for a grand retreat in this side of Florida. Visitors at this oceanfront hotel in... More
Featuring well-furnished spaces ideally set close to Hollywood Beach, Caribbean Resort makes for an ideal retreat for holidaymakers in this vibrant city in Florida. Visitors at this Hollywood hotel... More
Travellers find suitable retreat in the intimate spaces and personalised services of The Atlantic Hotel Fort Lauderdale while visiting the Gold Coast of Florida. Apart from attending events at... More
quick stop before cruising
Offering a favourable location and relaxing atmosphere, All Inclusive Inverrary Vacation Resort Fort Lauderdale is an ideal place for both business as well as leisure travellers. GeneralThis... More
Great Experience Daycation
Featuring a favourable location and a relaxed friendly atmosphere, W Fort Lauderdale, which offers the perfect blend of charm and elegance, is an ideal spot for an enjoyable vacation. GeneralThe... More
The Beachcomber Resort & Villas Pompano Beach invites you for a journey in the tropical hideaway that defines the word vacation and reminds you that life is full of luxuries and you deserve every... More
999 N Ft Lauderdale Bch B Map
Save 25% on your stay
Sonesta Fort Lauderdale offers a memorable beach holiday with its chic accommodations and state-of-the-art facilities. Guest can stroll around the nearby Riverwalk area or revisit the past at... More
Nice hotel on beach
2670 East Sunrise Boulevard Map
Exemplifying the casual elegance and superiority, this captivating property with its beautiful installation and services will surely allow you to experience the remarkable revival of Fort... More
Discerning travellers looking for comfortable accommodations within convenient distance from local recreation sites, must-see attractions and corporate hubs, find an ideal base in the tastefully... More
Presenting elegant accommodation and friendly service, Sea Club Resort is a perfect venue for an unforgettable vacation in Fort Lauderdale. GeneralThe Sea Club Resort offers meeting and conference... More
Seen better days
Refine your search
- Bonnet House Museum and Gardens hotels
- Hugh Taylor Birch State Park hotels
- Fort Lauderdale Beachfront hotels
- Las Olas Beach hotels
- International Swimming Hall of Fame hotels
- New River hotels
- Stranahan House hotels
- Andrews Living Art Studio hotels
- Broward County Main Library hotels
- Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale hotels
- Old Fort Lauderdale Villange and Museum hotels
- Greater Fort Lauderdale & Broward County Convention Center hotels