Palm Springs hotels
Palm Springs Rundown
If you want to visit California but are tired of Hollywood and the urban scene of Los Angeles, you should take a drive or catch a flight to Palm Springs. This desert town has an artsy, old-Hollywood style that contrasts beautifully with its serene surroundings: Painted Desert and St. Jacinto Mountain. You can peruse posh Las Palmas, a famous celebrity neighbourhood pre-dating Beverly Hills, and see the homes of stars from the 1940s through the1960s. After that, stop at the Smoke Tree Stables and take a horseback tour of the Palm Springs desert.
If you are more adventurous, you can stay at the Sea Mountain Nude Resort and enjoy this couples’ and women-only spa. While you are there you can play a round of golf at the Desert Dunes Golf Club or visit the nearby Palm Springs Art Museum, but put your clothes back on before leaving the spa! Whether you are a patron of the arts, a ‘naturalist’, or simply enjoy ruggedly beautiful nature, you are sure to love Palm Springs.
Palm Springs Top 10
10. Palm Canyon Drive offers a variety of shops, eateries and local Palm Springs landmarks.
5. See the wildlife and breathtaking scenery of the Palm Springs desert and San Andreas Fault at the Coachella Valley Preserve.
9. VillageFest is a cool little street fair with street performers for a classic hippy market experience.
4. The Agua Caliente Cultural Museum features archaeological artefacts and cultural exhibits related to the Cahuilla Indian tribe.
8. Knott's Soak City Waterpark is a refreshing, family-friendly water park spanning more than 20 acres with plenty of water slides and rides.
3. The Agua Caliente Indian Canyons offer a view of the glorious desert and its wildlife via hiking and horseback trails.
7. Tahquitz Creek Golf Resort is one of the many celebrated courses in Palm Springs.
2. Palm Springs Art Museum has a variety of fine art and architectural exhibits, including glass works and a sculpture garden.
6. Palm Springs Aerial Tramway is one of the best ways to see all of Palm Springs. You can view the desert and the mountains as well as everything in between on one grand tour.
1. The Fabulous Palm Springs Follies are a group of feisty senior-citizen performers who entertain the masses with musical and dance performances reminiscent of the 1940s through the 1970s.
Palm Springs History
- Agua Caliente Indian Reservation – Established in 1896 by the US government.
- McCallum Adobe – The oldest building in Palm Springs, built in 1884.
- Palm Canyon Trading Post – Learn about the history, art, and culture of the Agua Caliente Indians.
- Andreas Canyon – This canyon contains centuries-old mortars and metates used for preparing food.
- Palm Spring Air Museum – Features the US’s largest collection of WWII flying aircraft.
Palm Springs Art & Culture
- Palm Springs Art Museum – Features paintings from artists like Picasso and Matisse and a sculpture courtyard.
- Plaza Theatre – Home to the popular theatre company, The Fabulous Palm Spring Follies.
- Palm Springs International Film Festival -- One of the largest film festivals in North America and held each January.
- Oasis Hotel – Distinctive art-deco building designed by Lloyd Wright, son of Frank Lloyd Wright.
- Sinatra House – Designed by the famous Palm Springs architect E. Stewart Williams in the 1940s.
Palm Springs Shopping
- Palm Canyon Drive – The most famous shopping strip in the historic centre of Palm Springs.
- Dazzles – Previously a motel, this store now sells antique treasures.
- VillageFest – Shoppers flock to browse the vendors at this old-fashioned street fair.
- Shops on El Paseo – This upscale shopping district features shops, boutiques, art galleries and restaurants.
- Estate Sale Store I and II – These stores on East Palm Canyon Drive sell excellent secondhand clothing and items.
Palm Springs Gay & Lesbian
- Cheeky’s – Enjoy classic breakfast and brunch dishes like pancakes, eggs and bacon at this gay-friendly spot.
- Triangle Inn Palm Springs – Keeping clothes on or off is your choice at this popular hotel catering to gay men.
- Toucan's Tiki Lounge – This fun dance club features drag shows on Sundays.
- StreetBar – Stiff drinks and a Sunday drag show are found at this lively gay bar.
- Hunters – Love it or hate it, this popular Palm Springs gay nightclub packs a crowd.
Palm Springs Outdoors
- Palm Springs Aerial Tramway – This tram carries you high into the San Jacinto Mountains.
- Tahquitz Canyon – See waterfalls and pools in the desert in this beautiful area.
- Joshua Tree National Park – Hike your way through the Little San Bernardino Mountains to Joshua Tree National Park.
- Coachella Valley Preserve – See desert flora and fauna in a network of sand dunes.
- Moorten Botanical Garden Showplace – Cacti are featured at this garden established in 1939.
Palm Springs Sports
- Rent a bike from Palm Springs Bicycles to ride around town or even farther.
- Watch a tennis match at the BNP Paribas Open held in March.
- Play golf at the picturesque PGA West Greg Norman Golf Course.
- Trek through Mount San Jacinto State Park.
- Catch an amateur baseball game at the Palm Springs Stadium.
Palm Springs Events
The Village of Palm Springs is a self-paced walking tour of various historical inns along Ramon Road and Tahquitz Canyon Way in Palm Springs. Some of these elegant hotels were built more than a century ago.
You can attend the annual Palm Springs if you go to Palm Springs in April. This is an important fundraiser for HIV and AIDS research. Be sure show up dressed entirely in white.
Desert Concours d’Elegance is a yearly classic, antique and exotic auto show in Palm Springs that features auctions and races.
Arthur Lyons’ Film Noir Festival is perfect for those who enjoy this film genre. It is held each May in Palm Springs and features a variety of lesser-known classic and vintage noir films.
Tour de Palm Springs is a fundraising bike tournament held every year in July. It is among the largest of its kind and raises hundreds of thousands of dollars for local nonprofit organizations and charities.
Restaurant Week is a culinary event hosted every July in Palm Springs. Sponsored by several local eateries, it is the perfect opportunity to sample gourmet foods at budget prices.
The December Festival of Lights Parade is a festive holiday event in Palm Springs. This nighttime parade features floats covered in lights that illuminate the entire city.
The Tree Lighting Ceremony at Aerial Tramway is a special event in December where a celebrity tree lighter kicks off the holidays in Palm Springs and the local high school choir sings songs of the season.
The Palm Springs International Festival of Short Films is the second largest event of its kind in the world, and it is endorsed by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Many leaders in the film industry attend every August.
Palm Springs International Film Festival, held every January, is one of the most prominent film festivals in its category, and this black-tie event attracts famous people from all over the country.
When To Go
There is no bad time to visit Palm Springs due to the year-round warmth and sunshine. The summers are hot and dry, and the winters are mild.
October through December are the coolest months in Palm Springs with high temperatures from 66-87°F (1830°C and the lows around 44-61°F. The hottest months are July through September with highs around 100 °F (37-38°C) and the lowsaround 75°F 23-24°C).
There is very little rainfall in Palm Springs. The average annual precipitation is around 15 centimetres.
Palm Springs International Airport is the main airport for Palm Springs, California. You can book flights with most major US airlines, a few Canadian airlines or some private charter companies through this facility. It is located right in the centre of the city.
Amtrak has a train station in Palm Springs that provides service to several major metropolitan stations in California and Arizona. You will need to find transportation to the station, as there is no special shuttle.
Palm Springs, like many big cities in California, is very pedestrian and bike friendly. Getting around by foot is quite easy, and the main roads have bike lanes. If you prefer four wheels, you can get around by limo, taxi or private vehicle.
- Las Vegas hotels (174 hotels)
- New York hotels (321 hotels)
- San Francisco hotels (161 hotels)
- San Diego hotels (195 hotels)
- West Hollywood hotels (13 hotels)
- Los Angeles hotels (119 hotels)
- Orange County hotels (1 hotel)
- Chicago hotels (138 hotels)
- Washington DC hotels (111 hotels)
- Seattle hotels (107 hotels)
92 hotels in Palm Springs, California
The Curve Palm Springs Hotel invites travellers to a cosy retreat set close to recreation and corporate opportunities in this vibrant resort city in California. This boutique hotel in Palm Springs... More
Combining leisure facilities, spacious event spaces and well-furnished lodgings set by the foot of San Jacinto Mountain, Desert Princess Palm Springs Golf Resort makes for an ideal retreat for... More
With picturesque mountain and desert views, tasteful accommodations and rich Hollywood history, Indian Wells Resort Hotel makes for an ideal getaway in Indian Wells, California. Tourists at this... More
Palm Mountain Resort and Spa provides you all the modern facilities and conveniences for a wonderful and enjoyable vacation. GeneralBanquets, conferences, parties, weddings and board meetings are... More
Riviera Palm Springs - A Noble House Resort welcomes discerning holidaymakers with deluxe accommodations and up-to-date facilities set on expansive greens in Palm Springs. While on holiday,... More
Whether it is a weekend retreat or longer stay, this property emerges to be the upscale getaway ideally suited for serenity seekers and romantics. GeneralThe Palm Canyon Resort features a dramatic... More
Offering superior level of comfort as well as comfortable accommodation in a contemporary environment, the Quality Inn & Suites is the perfect choice for a relaxed as well as an enjoyable vacation.... More
Located in beautiful Rancho Mirage, Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa is a AAA 4 Diamond Award-winning hotel. With five restaurants, a 24-hour casino, world-class spa, fitness centre and nightlife,... More
Assuring courteous hospitality and copious facilities, the Homewood Suites By Hilton La Quinta Hotel is a perfect base for a relaxing as well as memorable stay in Palm Springs. GeneralThis... More