Sheffield is the Full Monty when it comes to urban regeneration. Many cities might have let the heavy bombing during WWII, as well as the demise of the steel industry upon which it was built, break its spirit. But not this irrepressible industrial city – Sheffield simply dusted itself down and set about a transformation – and what a transformation it has been. From the vast and impressive botanical Winter Gardens – a flagship architectural project of glass and steel - to the spruced up warehouses lining the canal basin at Victorian Quays, Sheffield has gone from strength to strength.
The Devonshire Quarter is home to the trendiest shops, while the large student population is much in evidence everywhere in Sheffield, many of whom, instead of revising, head to the Frog & Parrot for what is allegedly the world’s strongest beer – the 12% ‘Roger & Out’. If you like your entertainment a little more on the classy side, then head to the Showroom Bar which features live jazz on Sunday afternoons.
SHEFFIELD'S Top 10
10. If you are a sports fanatic then the English Institute of Sport has your name written on it.
5. The Showroom Cinema is the biggest independent cinema in the UK. Slink in for some art-house, off beat productions.
9. Graves Gallery is where Sheffield’s fine art collections are housed as well as a selection of temporary exhibitions
4. Ponds Forge Pool is one of the biggest public swimming pools in the country and host of the UK Swimming Championships.
8. The Bishops’ House is no longer one of Sheffield’s bests kept secrets.
3. Magna is a vast science adventure centre housed in a former steelworks building. Get all interactive with the many exhibits.
7. Meadowhall is one of the biggest indoor shopping centres in the UK. Get dizzy attempting to negotiate its 270 retail outlets.
2. The Kelham Island Museum illustrates Sheffield’s massive contribution to all things industrial.
6. Sheffield Cathedral is one of the oldest buildings in the city with some fabulous Tudor monuments.
1. The Millennium Gallery is two galleries under one roof- the Ruskin and the Metalwork Gallery – tell how Sheffield Steel left an indelible mark on the nation.
April sees the event which is synonymous with Sheffield – the Betfred.com World Snooker Championship at the Crucible Theatre.
Tickle your taste buds during July at the Sheffield Food Festival, a weeklong celebration at a number of city centre venues including city centre farms, markets and gardens.
Music in the Gardens with the likes of Sheffield Philharmonic Orchestra takes place in June at Sheffield Botanical Gardens - tickets are £8 to £14.
Tramlines is a free for all music festival which takes place in Sheffield city centre in July.
Cliffhanger is touted as the outdoor event for outdoor people and held in July at Millhouses Park. One of Sheffield’s biggest green spaces becomes a hive of activity for two days. Watch top athletes perform as well as get involved in a wide range of outdoor pursuits.
The August Sheffield Fayre attracts over 25,000 people and is held in Norfolk Heritage Park. This is listed as the largest free event in South Yorkshire and includes historical re-enactments, fair rides, crafts and markets.
Get your running shoes out and take part in the Great Yorkshire Run (10K) which starts in Sheffield City Centre city centre – free to enter on the 9th October – show us what you’re made of.
The British Judo Championships are held during October at iceSheffield with tickets available on the day.
Sheffield Children’s Festival takes place in June at the Upper Chapel with free entry.
British Gas ASA National Swimming Championships take place in June at Sheffield’s Ponds Forge International Sports centre
WHEN TO GO
· Sheffield had a temperate climate in the main, but it can get cold during winter, due to its northern UK location.
· Temperatures in summer average out at 21 °C in the daytime, with those at night falling to a comfortable 10. Winter sees temperatures of between 0 and 7 °C – but sub zero temps can occur.
· Like the rest of the UK, Sheffield is no stranger to rain – anything from a summer downpour to a wintry drizzle so pack a brolly.
· National Express runs a service to Sheffield from most major UK cities, including Leeds and London which takes around four hours, which costs £14.50 or less.
· Trains run in all directions from Sheffield – London St Pancras takes about two and a half hours and currently costs about £69.50 – but fares vary according to how far in advance you book.
· Leeds-Bradford airport is the closest to Sheffield, with national and international flights on offer. Trains run from here to Sheffield railway station which is a journey of around 30 minutes.
Decades free from a post-industrial era economic slide, Sheffield has become a prominent redevelopment success story in the new Great Britain. The former “Steel City” is now a diverse and vibrant metropolis with over 1.8 million people. Home to a beautiful cityscape that sits where five rivers meet, Sheffield has more green space than any other city in Europe. That remarkable feature alone draws scores of visitors to the South Yorkshire city every year.
Culture and music combine to form powerful bait as well. The city is the birthplace of a phenomenal legacy in that regard which includes The Human League, ABC, Arctic Monkeys and infamous Gatecrasher One nightclub. Sheffield is also home to several superb orchestras, in addition to the Lyceum and Crucible theaters, both well-known throughout England. Some of the main points of interest in the city include the Sheffield Cathedral, Winter Gardens, Site Gallery, Graves Park and Peace Gardens.
Sheffield has a temperate climate, with four mild seasons.
- Winter (December to February) 1-7°C
- Spring (March to May) 3-16°C
- Summer (June to September) 10-21°C
- Fall (October to November) 4-13°C
Your hotel booking club!
Hear about our best travel deals first when you sign up for our emails!
West Bar Green Map
Free On The House hot breakfast, Wi-Fi
Set in Sheffield''''s exciting city center, just five miles from the M1 motorway and an hour from East Midlands Airport, the friendly Hampton by Hilton Sheffield hotel offers great connectivity... More
Quality Saturday Night Stay
Offering high quality service in a relaxed period setting and special atmosphere to ensure that your dreams of the perfect day come true when you are in this traditional Victorian hotel. ... More
Featuring an elegant decor, utmost comfort and convenient facilities, this hotel welcomes you for an unforgettable holiday in Sheffield. GeneralThe hotel offers 9 well-equipped meeting rooms that... More
Paper thin walls, no A/C, horrid
Make the beautiful BEST WESTERN Cutlers Hotel Sheffield your home away from home when visiting the beautiful Sheffield City. The property with its impressive range of amenities, is an ideal... More
The Holiday Inn Express Sheffield City Centre is conveniently situated within a few minutes walk to Sheffield City Centre and overlooks the River Don . Hotel easily accessible from junction 33 of... More
Holiday Inn Express SHEFFIELD CITY CENTRE Extra Night
119 Norfolk street Map
Rate includes up to 40% off, Breakfast and more
Mercure Sheffield St Pauls Hotel Spa welcomes guests to its chic and modern architecture. It is positioned close to interesting landmarks such as the two expansive Lyceum and Crucible Theatres,... More
First class city centre stay
Providing excellent accommodation and numerous facilities, the Copthorne Hotel Sheffield is a wonderful property that has been completely designed to meet the needs of the most discerning... More
Whether travelling to Sheffield Centre for business or pleasure, stay at the Novotel Hotel Sheffield Centre and allow the highly professional staff to assist you and make your stay comfortable and... More
Savvy business travellers and holidaymakers can find comfortably appointed accommodations and attentive professional service in the heart of Sheffield at Jurys Inn Sheffield Hotel. This modern... More
The Fairway Barnsley Formally New Country Inns is an elegant, full-service hotel and is a great choice for business or pleasure. GeneralWell-equipped conference and banquet rooms that can... More
fair price at the Fairway
Refine your search
- Sheffield Station hotels
- John Charles Center for Sport hotels
- Middleton Park hotels
- Temple Newsam hotels
- Leeds and Liverpool Canal hotels
- Clarence Dock hotels
- Bridgewater Place hotels
- Scarborough International Holdings hotels
- Leeds Station hotels
- West Yorkshire Playhouse hotels
- Call Lane hotels
- Northern Ballet Theatre hotels