Stansted airport hotels
Stansted Airport Rundown
Stansted Airport is located in the south of England in Essex, just 75 km from North East London. Known as London’s third airport, it welcomes almost as many passengers through its terminals as the big two – Heathrow and Gatwick. Stansted has carved out a niche for itself, however in providing low cost scheduled flights – both to Europe and further afield - with the likes of BMI Baby and Flybe amongst its operators.
Air travelers arriving at Stansted should check out the local area before dashing off to the bright lights of London, since, along with plenty of cost-effective accommodation on offer, the Stansted area has lots to entertain. For instance, Mountfitchet Castle & Norman Village is right on the doorstep, and the House on the Hill Toy Museum is bound to keep the family amused.
Nearby, Bishop’s Stortford is home to a nature reserve and the historic market town of Saffron Walden is a mere stone’s throw, with its many cultural and recreational attractions – plus it boasts a decent shopping center.
London is only an hour away from Stansted Airport, so getting to know the UK’s capital city during a stay here is a breeze too.
Stansted's Top 10
10. Dunmow Maltings & Museum For a glimpse of past rural life, and just a few km from Stansted Airport.
5. Saffron Walden Museum A 12th Century castle within a couple of km of Stansted Airport.
9. Scott’s Grotto was built during the 18th Century, so large even Father Xmas would be envious of this one.
4. Marwell Wildlife Park Get as close as you wish to dangerous animals and cute ones like the meerkats.
8. Prior’s Hall Barn Just km from Stansted Airport, one of the last remaining medieval barns still standing.
3. Mole Hall Wildlife Park There isn’t a Mole of Mole Hall in residence, but plenty of other mammals at this Stansted Airport attraction.
7. Museum of Harlow Get on your bike at this Stansted Airport attraction, since its home to a bicycle museum.
2. The Gardens of Easton Lodge comprises 23 acres of sumptuous gardens designed for lucky Daisy, Countess of Eastwick.
6. Much Hadham Forge Museum is Elizabethan and Grade II listed with its own resident Blacksmith.
1. Audley End House and Gardens Take a tour of this historic building and its delightful formal gardens, plus there’s a top drawer tea room.
Stansted Airport History
- Waytemore Castle – Only ruins atop a mound remain of this 12th-century castle built by the Normans.
- Market Square – The site of a thriving market that once characterised the town of Bishop’s Stortford.
- St Michael's Church – This local landmark was first built by the Normans and then rebuilt in the 15th century.
- Corn Exchange – This imposing building built in the early 18th century reflects Bishop’s Stortford’s market town past.
- Old Thorley Lane – Located in Thorley Village by Stansted Airport, there are a number of Grade II-listed historical buildings along this scenic road.
Stansted Airport Art & Culture
- Rhodes Arts Complex – This popular arts venue has a theatre, dance studio and cinema.
- Bishop's Stortford Museum – This museum showcases exhibits on local history and culture and has a victorian-era-style room.
- All Saints’ Church – Designed by the architect Stephen Dykes Bower, this parish church is also host to concerts.
- The Half Moon – See local rock, blues and folk bands at this traditional-style pub near Stansted Airport.
- Bridge/High Streets – These streets in Bishop’s Stortford have a number of restored buildings with historic architecture.
Stansted Airport Shopping
- Jackson Square – Large shopping mall with modern shops, cafes and bars.
- Tissiman & Sons – This tailor shop on High Street has been around over 400 years and sells quality men’s clothing.
- South Street – A prominent shopping street in Bishop’s Stortford with a few local shops and national stores.
- Potter Street – A number of high-street chains and local shops line this pedestrian-friendly road.
- Stansted Airport – Over 30 shops can be found at Stansted Airport, including Boots, Sunglass Hut, All Saints and Ted Baker.
Gay & Lesbian Stansted Airport
- Great Hallingbury Manor Hotel – A high-end, gay-friendly hotel featuring smart rooms.
- Days Hotel London Stansted – The convenient location of this gay-friendly hotel makes it popular with travellers.
- Stansted Guest House – Gay-friendly victorian cottage set amongst gardens and just a 15-minute walk from Stansted Airport.
- Hilton London Stansted Airport – All the comforts expected from a Hilton, including a swimming pool. Gay-friendly.
- Terrace Café – Friendly café and wine bar in Bishop’s Stortford with occasional live music.
Stansted Airport Outdoor
- Castle Gardens – Created in 1908, these lush public gardens have historic memorials.
- Gibberd Garden – This garden found a short distance from Stansted Airport features beautiful local flora, glades, pools and statues.
- River Stort – A small walkway lines this narrow river and passes through several local sites and marsh areas.
- Rye Meads Nature Reserve – Hikers flock to this nature reserve, which contains many well-kept trails.
- River Lea – A great place for a canoe ride or scenic stroll along the many paths.
Stansted Airport Sport
- Go for a swim in the 25m pool at Grange Paddocks Leisure Centre.
- Watch the Essex County Cricket Club play at the County Cricket Ground.
- Play a round of golf at the Bishop’s Stortford Golf Club.
- Practice your swing at the Great Hadham Golf Club.
- Try your hand at lawn bowling with the Bishop's Stortford Bowls Club.
The Audley End Picnic Concerts are simply not to be missed if you are staying in the Stansted Airport area during July for rock, pop and Opera in magnificent surroundings.
Jazz in the Park is an event which takes place close to Stansted Airport at Saffron Walden. It’s highly recommended to pack a picnic and pitch up at Bridge End Garden in the month of June.
Bishop’s Stortford near Stansted Airport plays host to Berden Fete each year. For a traditional English fete you could do no better than this one, in July.
If you enjoy the great outdoors then why not book a place on Wild Camping at Hatfield Forest which takes place right under the nose of Stansted Airport.
Cazfest gets better and bigger each year. Head to Bishop’s Stortford’s Sworders Field in July and join in the fun. Easily accessible from Stansted Airport.
Hopley’s Open Air Theater is a treat for budding thespians, so if you are staying at Stansted Airport make sure to catch Chapterhouse where the resident theatrical company strut their stuff in July.
Thaxted Fair is a great family day out with stalls, rides and more, and close to Stansted Airport too, so make it a date in July.
Hatfield Forest, close to Stansted Airport invites you to enjoy its annual WoodFest, a celebration of this outstanding natural area.
Saffron Walden Farmers Market which neighbors Stansted Airport, brings you food with a local flavor, full of July seasonal produce.
Euston Lodge Gardens Open Day For all horticulturalists and folk who just like to look at flowers, just a few km from Stansted Airport.
When To Go
Stansted Airport’s southerly location means it has a mild pleasant climate and receives lots of sunny days during the summer. Because of its temperate climate winters don’t get as cold as other parts of the UK too.
Expect summer temperatures to get as high as 22°C on average during the day, and fall to a minimum of around 11°C at night. Winter temperatures usually get no lower than 6°C, but recent winters have shown that temperatures around Stansted can fall below freezing, and night time frosts are not uncommon.
Rain is never far away – whatever the season and days which start out fine can end up showery, so carry an umbrella with you, and pack a raincoat.
Stansted Airport is well connected by road to the rest of the UK – the M11 Motorway is right alongside.
National Express operates a service which leaves every 10 minutes to London Victoria, a journey which takes around 80 minutes dependant on traffic. Tickets are cheap and booking ahead makes them even cheaper.
Stansted Airport Railway Station runs a frequent service to and from the airport and the centre of London, and trains run regularly to the Midlands and the East of the UK. The Stansted Express runs every 15 minutes into Liverpool St Station London.
Stansted Airport Rundown
Stansted Airport is located at Stansted Mountifitchet in Uttlesford, Essex around 50 miles to the North East of London. The airport is the third busiest in the UK, and has made low cost scheduled flights around the world its niche market. The area is chock-a-block with enough local attractions such as Mountfitchet Castle & Norman Village, and the House on the Hill Toy Museum to keep even the most difficult to please, entertained. Hatfield Forest, is a breath of fresh air and the nature reserve at Bishop’s Stortford is just a hop, skip and a jump away. Plus the charming old market town of Saffron Walden is within spitting distance, offering a host of cultural and recreational amenities, as well as shops.
And if all this isn’t enough for you, you’ve got excellent connections into some place called London at just over an hour’s distance away.
Stansted Airport Top 10
10. Scott’s Grotto built for John Scott, 18th Century poet and is the largest grotto in the UK.
5. Dunmow Maltings & Museum A fascinating dip into local heritage and a stone’s throw from Stansted Airport.
9. Prior’s Hall Barn an early medieval barn and one of the few not converted into a ‘barn conversion’ for the moneyed up.
4. Much Hadham Forge Museum A Grade II listed building equipped with Elizabethan wall paintings and a working Blacksmith.
8. Saffron Walden Museum 12th Century Norman Castle with mummy cases and woolly mammoths, just a mile or so from Stansted Airport.
3. The Gardens of Easton Lodge 23 acres of gardens designed for Daisy, Countess of Warwick and close to Stansted Airport.
7. Visit Marwell Wildlife Park and get as close as you would like to tigers, crocs and meerkats.
2. Audley End House and Gardens Be on your best behaviour in this formal garden and Jacobean mansion. Knowledgeable guides and sumptuous tea room.
6. Museum of Harlow Stansted Airport attraction includes a vintage bicycle collection.
1. Stansted Airport attraction Mole Hall Wildlife Park has no moles, but plenty of squeaky otters.
Stansted Airport Events
Jazz in the Park takes place during June in Saffron Walden. Head off from Stansted Airport to Bridge End Garden and bring a picnic.
Get your Billy cans out and grab an acoustic guitar then enjoy a weekend of Wild Camping at Bishops Stortford’s Hatfield Forest, next door to Stansted Airport, in July.
Cazfest is back. A Stansted Airport music event with bigger and better line ups each year at Sworders Field, Bishops Stortford in July.
During a stay at Stansted Airport, Audley End Picnic Concerts are well worth attending with some big names from the world of Opera, Rock and Pop, during July.
Berden Fete is held each year near Stansted Airport at Bishops Stortford. Head here if you like traditional English fairs, at Berden Hall every July.
Stansted Airport’s ideally situated for the Easton Lodge Gardens Open Day. After a day here you will come up smelling of roses.
It’s easy to get the Saffron Walden Farmers Market from Stansted Airport, where you can pick up local produce in July.
Hopleys Open Air Theatre is a highly accessible for guests staying near Stansted Airport, with theatrical group Chapterhouse performing the classics.
Thaxted Fair takes over Thaxted Recreation Ground during July each year. Great family entertainment, stalls, and rides.
Hatfield Forest, on the doorstep to Stansted Airport is host to WoodFest each September. An annual celebration of this beautiful site.
When To Go
· Situated in the South East of the UK, Stansted Airport has a mild climate with pleasant summer temperatures and plenty of sunny days. Winters don’t tend to get too cold either – but can be rather overcast.
· Temperatures during July and August generally reach highs of around 22°C with night time temps of around 11°C. During a particularly hot summer temperatures can easily rise much higher – even into the early 30s. Winter temps around Stansted Airport will average out at 6-7°C, but recently have been known to drop well below freezing.
· You can expect to see several inches of rain per month, with drizzle falling on up to 18 days, so when setting off don’t forget a brolly.
How To Get There
· London Stansted Airport is conveniently located just off the M11 Motorway – use Junction 8a if you’re coming from London or Junction 8 if driving from the Cambridge side.
· Stansted Airport’s coach station is situated opposite the main terminal and a number of services run from here to main UK cities. National Express set off every 10 minutes for London Victoria – a journey time of around 80 minutes, and tickets are very competitively priced at around £10 one way.
· Stansted Airport rail station operates a regular service between the airport and central London as well as eastern England and the Midlands. The Stansted Express has a train every 15 minutes to London Liverpool St Station at a cost of around £21.
Thremhall Avenue,London Stansted Airport Map
Park & Fly- Includes up to 15 days of parking
The Holiday Inn Express London Stansted Airport offers convenient location and modern facilities to make your stay a pleasant and relaxing one. GeneralThe hotel offers parking (at cost) and six... More
They did not know that it was prepaid
Round Coppice Road Map
Park & Fly - Includes up to 8 nights of parking
Assuring courteous service and quality amenities, the Hilton Stansted Airport Hotel London prides itself as an ideal location for business and leisure travellers. GeneralThis hotel offers 16... More
The Radisson Blu Hotel London Stansted Airport is two minutes on foot to the main terminal via a covered walkway, very convenient for travelers arriving and departing from the airport. It has to be... More
Days Hotel London Stansted M11 provides quality accommodation with convenient facilities. The hotel's location near the airport makes it an ideal choice for business and leisure travellers.... More
The Days Inn Bishops Stortford M11 is located five kilometres from Stansted International Airport and is a perfect choice for pre or after flight accommodation. The hotel is also close to many... More
One night stay
Refine your search
- Loughton hotels
- Whitewebbs Museum of Transport hotels
- Riesco Gallery hotels
- Royal Veterinary College hotels
- William Morris Gallery hotels
- Museum of Domestic Design and Architecture hotels
- Tottenham Hotspur FC hotels
- Redbridge Museum hotels
- University of East London hotels
- Alexandra Palace hotels
- Turnpike Lane hotels
- Olympic Park hotels