Khon Kaen hotels
Charming Khon Kaen
After a mix of spirituality, beauty and a smidgen of commercial goodness? Khon Kaen is your place. This Thai city isn’t nearly as brash and hedonistic as her sisters (Pattaya, we’re looking at you), but still manages to reel in tourists who want to experience her unmatched charm.
If you’re after a good dose of nature, make sure you head to Phu Kao for an invigorating trek through native greenery and Pha Nok Khao for a killer mountaintop view. Or if you’re after more instantly gratifying pursuits, Khon Kaen’s fantastic shopping and eating opportunities will send you to heaven. Visit Phrae Phan for quality silks at insanely cheap prices and Naem Laplae for food that will have you positively drooling.
Khon Kaen’s Top 10
10. Rad The biggest and best club in town, with pumping beats and a seemingly endless supply of alcohol.
5. Phu Wiang National Park Take a gander at dinosaur fossils and then chill by a waterfall. Perfect!
9. Wat Jien Bung Kaen Nakhon A beautiful and very ornate Chinese temple.
4. Phrathat Kham Kaen This temple has been around since the town’s beginnings and is still going strong.
8. Chonnabot Home to the best silk in town. Break out the baht!
3. Khon Kaen National Museum Packed with exhibitions on everything from archaeology to art. Go and learn.
7. Non Mueang Get in touch with your inner archaeologist in this 9th century town.
2. Sim Isan Wat Pa Saeng Arun This temple beauty was just made for photos. Check out the amazing murals inside.
6. Ban Khok Sa-nga King Cobras Village Definitely not for those who are scared of the slithery critters! If you’re fearless, this place is awesome.
1. Phra Mahathat Kaen Nakhon A huge shiny stupa filled with Buddha relics and plenty of sparkly bits and bobs.
Khon Kaen History
- City Pillar Shrine - This historical site in Khon Kaen features an ancient stone inscription.
- Sema Boundary Markers - These ancient sandstone carvings tell the story of the life of Buddha.
- Chao Phia Mueang Phaen Monument - This attraction commemorates the founder of the city.
- Phra Mahathat Kaen Nakhon - This historical site houses many important Buddhist relics and scriptures.
- Wat Chai Si - This site was declared a national historical monument in 2001 and is home to ancient murals.
Khon Kaen Art & Culture
- Khon Kaen National Museum - The precious artworks and antiques make this museum well worth the visit.
- Treasure Hall - This unique museum tells the history of the city through many interesting exhibits.
- Art and Cultural Centre - This centre houses some of the best works of local art.
- Sim Isan - This famous site is known for its Mudmi pattern murals and beautiful examples of local silk.
- Khon Kaen University - This is the largest centre of education in all of Isan and a very important part of Kohn Kaen culture.
Khon Kaen Shopping
- TuckCom Plaza - This large shopping plaza has a variety of shops featuring local items.
- Fairy Plaza - A collection of unique shops and street food can be found in this plaza.
- Glang Muang Road Night Market - This lively Khon Kaen night market occasionally doubles as a carnival.
- Se Ed Book Centre - If you are looking for a good supply of used and new books in Khon Kaen, this is the place to start.
- Central Plaza - Featuring all of the best name brands and , as well as a cinema.
Gay & Lesbian Khon Kaen
- The Rad Club - This large disco caters to a mixed and usually young crowd of partiers.
- Zolid Discothèque - One of the most popular spots for gays and lesbians to go dancing.
- U Bar - This bar is open to everyone but is a favourite among the local gay and lesbian crowd.
- Wishing Tree Resort - This gay-friendly resort is one of the hotspots in Khon Saen for gay travellers.
- Glacier Hotel - This upscale hotel caters to an older and more sophisticated gay crowd.
Khon Kaen Outdoor
- Bueng Kaen Nakhon - This lake features a park and many famous statues, making it a great place for a stroll.
- Pu Kradung - This mountain is a popular site for day hikes out of Khon Kaen.
- Pu Wiang Mountain - This area is famous because of the dinosaur fossils that were found there, making it one of Khon Kaen’s best hikes.
- Kaen Nakorn Lake - A great place to spend the day swimming or walking the shores of this beautiful lake.
- Chonnobat - This small village is a great place for a stroll and to see how local Thai silk is made.
Khon Kaen Sports
- Hit the links at Ubonrat Dam in Khon Kaen.
- Play a round of golf at Dan Coon.
- Catch a fish at Sri Nuan Fishing Park.
- Land a giant catfish at Sirikit Dam.
- Catch a snooker match at May Snooker Rai Re Sports Stadium.
Khon Kaen Events
January’s Khon Kaen International Marathon attracts thousands willing to run through the sizzling heat or just kick back, watch and enjoy the food markets.
The Dok Khoon Siang Flower Festival in April features a huge parade filled with vibrant floats and flowers, plus concerts, dance performances and more food markets.
Late April brings the awesome Dok Khun Siang Khaen Songkran Festival. Celebrating the New Year and the coolness of Buddha, this fun fiesta hosts a Buddha-themed procession, a beauty pageant and the most epic water fight ever.
For June’s Phii Ta Khon Festival, locals slap on some spooky masks and colourful getups and try to scare the bejesus out of the people watching!
The Silk Festival celebrates this Khon Kaen industry. Expect big parades filled with pretty silk and pretty girls. November to December.
When To Go
- Khon Kaen stays pretty warm all year round. The average, annual temperature is a toasty 27°C (81ºF).
- If you don’t like the rain, stay away in July and August. We’re talking cats and dogs!
- Watch out for epic humidity from March to June. Frizzball alert!
- Songthaews are a popular choice for locals and tourists. They’ll take you pretty much anywhere for about 10 baht.
- Tuk tuks are cheap and lots of fun! If you find a good, non-shoddy driver, make sure to grab his number.
- Hiring a car is a good option if you’re not up for the unique public transport. But be careful as traffic rules are rarely followed in Khon Kaen.
4 hotels in Khon Kaen, TH
Offering pleasing accommodation and various facilities, the Pullman Khon Kaen Raja Orchid caters to the needs of both business and leisure travellers. GeneralThe hotel boasts 15 well-appointed... More
999 Moo 4 Prachasamosorn Road, Amphur Muang Map
Offering stylish accommodations and spacious event spaces right in the heart of Khon Kaen, Centara Hotel & Convention Centre Khon Kaen makes for an ideal base for discerning travellers visiting the... More
Well-positioned in Khon Kaen City Center, Tamarind Residences Serviced Apartment is the ideal point of departure for your excursions in Khon Kaen. The city center is merely 1. Km away and the... More