As a perpetual platform to Taipei, Taoyuan is the conspicuous home of Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport and, moreover, close to half a million people. The skyscrapers and deluxe business hotels that dot the skyline hint at the primary modus operandi at work: Taoyuan is a place where business gets done.
The airport, heavy and light industry, a considerable overseas workforce, university students and the best cram schools in Taiwan accent the press coverage on Taoyuan. Indeed, the city may not have the kind of overt charisma that elicits purposeful tourism but as a satellite of Taipei, Taoyuan can be put to good use.
As a leisure suburb, for example, the city unfurls a tidy ensemble of malls, department stores and restaurants. Despite the industrial tag, Taoyuan is a foremost park city and environmental urban pioneer as well, with no less than 76 hectares of green space to enjoy and many sustainable initiatives in the works. This alone may make the short trek from Taipei worthwhile.
Taoyuan’s Top 10
10. Dongyanshan National Forest Recreation Area is one of the best day trip destinations in Taiwan.
5. Jiaobanshan Sculpture Park is a world-class open-air art depot.
9. MoCA Taipei is a triumph of contemporary art and well worth the 30 km trip from Taoyuan.
4. Sanmin Bat Cave feels a world away from the busy national capital metropolitan area.
8. Daxi Old Street is a gastro paradise, most notably for traditional bean curd snacks.
3. Xiao Wulai Scenic Area is in the aboriginal township of Fusing, Taoyuan County.
7. National Taiwan Museum provides the best education on the island republic.
2. Cihu Presidential Burial Place is the mausoleum of Chiang Kai-shek.
6. Taipei 101 is a must-see landmark for any visitor in Taiwan.
1. Taoyuan Tourist Night Market is a wonderful place to forage for sundry snacks.
Tao Yuan History
- Wenhua Yunlang – This museum offers a chance to see the historical relevance of the area.
- Sansia Tsu Shi Temple – This historic temple is one of the most popular around Tao Yuan.
- Lin Ben-Yuan Family Abode – This home acts as a monument to the history of the Ben-Yuan family.
- Chou’s Honor Arch – One of the most popular monuments in the city.
- Long Shan Temple – The famous temple offers insight into the rich religious history of Taiwan.
Tao Yuan Art & Culture
- Taipei County Yingge Ceramics Museum – This museum houses some of the best examples of Taiwanese ceramics.
- Fine Arts Museum – Some great examples of traditional Chinese art.
- Museum of World Religions – This unique museum illustrates the importance of religion in Taiwanese culture.
- Chang Foundation – This museum houses both contemporary and traditional works of art.
- National Revolutionary Martyr’s Shrine – An important shrine in Tao Yuan pays tribute to those who gave their lives for Taiwan.
Tao Yuan Shopping
- Tao Yuan Night Market – A must for those visiting Tao Yuan, this market is a great place to grab a snack.
- The Red House – Located in Taipei and once a government-created shop, this plaza is now the home to many stylish shops.
- Shinlin Night Market – This famous night market is about 40 minutes away but sells a little of just about everything.
- Sogo Department Store – Located in Tao Yuan, this store features all the latest designers and name brands.
- Taimall’s Nankan Family Entertainment Shopping Centre – The first shopping mall in the country.
Gay & Lesbian Tao Yuan
- River Bar – This Tao Yuan bar is gay friendly and one of the favourite meeting spots for foreigners in the area.
- Xin Tao Yuan Sauna – This Tao Yuan sauna has long catered to the gay community.
- Hua Yue Hotel – This gay- and lesbian-friendly hotel in Tao Yuan has a friendly staff and convenient location.
- Monarch Plaza Hotel – A gay-friendly hotel with an extremely helpful staff.
- Luckynews Classic Hotel – The rooms in this cosy Tao Yuan hotel are perfect for gay and lesbian travellers looking for some privacy.
Tao Yuan Outdoor
- San Chi Mee Ecological Farm – Come see how Tao Yuan is transitioning to a greener environment.
- Tashi Park – This lovely park offers visitors an escape from the hustle and bustle of the city.
- Windows on China Theme Park – A great place to take children for an active day outdoors.
- Yu Ren Bo Ji Chang – This boardwalk is a great place for a walk along the sea.
- Tigerhead Mountain – One of Tao Yuan’s most popular spots for a date.
Tao Yuan Sports
- Catch a game at the Tao Yuan County Stadium.
- Swim or catch a fish in Wenshi Stream.
- Play basketball and volleyball at the Tao Yuan Arena.
- Swim the day away at the Westin Ta Shee Resort in Tao Yuan.
- Hit the links at the Yao Yuan Golf and Country Club.
Night markets in Taoyuan and Taipei, from Shilin to Huaxi Street, Raohe Street to Ximending, offer singular fun, energy and intel on life in Taiwan.
The Ghost Festival Parade is a lively local event held in late August.
The Mid-Autumn Moon Festival is a vital event throughout Taiwan.
When To Go
Like Taipei, Taoyuan has a humid subtropical climate with close to 80% humidity from one month to the next and typhoon activity off the South China Sea coast. The bulk of annual precipitation pours down on Taoyuan from May to October. September is, on average, the worst month for showers, with over 360 mm in total.
Heavy rain is a good reason to avoid the capital region in summer but not the only one. Taoyuan and the rest of metro Taipei swelters throughout the wet season, with temperatures in the 76°F (24°C) to 94°F (34°C) range.
The best advice is to visit in the winter, if you can help it, or a month like March or November. When the torrid weather tapers off, Taoyuan is much more comfortable. Between December and March, visitors can expect scant rainfall and temperatures between 57°F (14°C) and 69°F (21°C).
Sitting in the northwestern part of Taiwan, Taoyuan, a city whose name literally means "garden of peach", is home to beautiful landscapes filled with attractions. One of the most famous sites in the city is the Shihmen Reservoir, which visitors come to see every year. Filled with history and diverse culture, this exciting holiday destination is sure to please all visitors.
- Tigerhead Mountain
- National Museum of History
- Shop Taimall
- Visit Yingge, a pottery village
- See performances at the National Concert Hall
Taoyuan’s climate is humid and subtropical, with four monsoon-influenced seasons. Due to Taiwan’s location in the Pacific Ocean, typhoons are common during the months of June through October. Summers are hot and rainy, while winters are mild and dry; average annual temperatures range between 74°F and 79°F (23°C and 26°C).
Getting There & Around
Visitors coming to this popular city fly into the Taoyuan International Airport. From the airport, visitors can reach the city by taxi in less than 30 minutes. There is also a bus terminal that provides transportation between the airport and the city.
Downtown is small, so walking is easy, although there are taxis that are relatively cheap. With its own bus network, the city can be accessed quickly by several routes. The train station located downtown offers affordable service to surrounding areas including Taipei and other major cities.
More Info On Getting Around
Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport is the dominant hub in Taiwan and where the vast majority of annual visitors pass through. The airport is on the doorstep of Taoyuan, some 20 km away.
The central train station provides easy access to Taipei and suburbs and other major and minor points on the island. A high speed railway makes the trip to the capital in under 15 minutes.
For simple A to B transport in Taoyuan, a taxi is the way to go. The city is rather progressive in the bicycle department, however, which is a boon for avid cyclists.
16 hotels in Taoyuan, TW
Majesty Hotel Taoyuan is a boutique hotel close to Tao-Yuan Railway Station and highways. It also has Wu Geo Tun Mountain, Yinko Ceramic Old Street, Sanshia Master Temple, Spring Farm, Tiger... More
No.703, Zhongzheng Rd., Taoyuan City, Taoyuan County 330, Taiwan (R.O.C.) Map
Well Garden Hotel is placed in the heart of Taoyuan City just a few steps away from Taipei Bus Station. Offering a restaurant and free Wi-Fi access, this elegant hotel also provides tastefully... More
Providing pleasant and homey accommodations for business travellers visiting the industrial city of Taoyuan in Taiwan, Taoyuan Hotel offers convenient services and useful amenities for a relaxing... More
Zai Yan Leader Hotel Taoyuan provides quality accommodation and professional services for an enjoyable vacation. Guests can explore the city's attractions such as Tashi Park, Wenhua Yunlang,... More
Boasting fantastic location, this property offers superb accommodation and quality facility that will be etched and makes your stay a memorable one. GeneralThis property offers well-equipped... More
Holiday Inn Express Taoyuan is just 20 minutes' drive from electronics companies in Huaya Technology Park and Guishan Industrial Zone. It also in vicinity to TaiMall shopping centre, Yingge Ceramic... More
Offering friendly hospitality and warmth, the Luckynews Classic Hotel Taoyuan welcomes you for an relaxing and wonderful stay. GeneralThe hotel offers well equipped meeting room for business... More
No. 777, Daguan Rd., Dayuan Township, Taoyuan City, Taiwan Map
Hotel Orchard Park Taoyuan is an international tourist hotel with business, holiday and transit functionalities, located in the Aerotropolis. It is also 20 minutes drive from the HSR Taoyuan... More
With its deluxe accommodations, elegant surroundings and fusion of Chinese and Western style, Hotel Kuva Chateau Taoyuan makes for an ideal base while in this part of Taiwan. This Taoyuan hotel... More