The capital of Switzerland may not get the same attention as Zürich, Lucerne and Geneva or ski resorts like Davos, Gstaad and St. Moritz but regardless, Bern is a lovely place to visit. The river Aare city of 125,000 people has a wonderful old City to explore, with a singular collection of medieval architecture ranks among the very best in Europe, let alone Switzerland.
The Zytglogge for one, is a 13th century tower whose astronomical clock is the de facto symbol of Bern and perhaps the most popular attraction in the city as well. Einsteinhaus preserves the former home, from 1903 to 1905, of the most famous and important scientist of the 20th century, with a permanent exhibition on Albert Einstein at the Historical Museum of Bern. The Münster of Bern is a 15th century Gothic masterpiece with a superb bell tower panorama of the Old City.
- Bundeshaus (Federal Palace) - This is the Swiss House of Parliament building.
- Einsteinhaus - The former residence of Albert Einstein.
- Zytglogge - A clock tower located in the Old Town. The tower was built in the 13th century.
- Tramdepot - This old station provides tourists with a glimpse into Berne's first tramway. The building houses a popular Berne brewpub.
- Museum fur Kommunikation (Museum of Communication) - The history of Berne’s postal system is explored and tourists can see thousands of historic stamps on display here.
Berne Art & Culture
- Invasion of Berne - Witness small graffiti mosaics as they explore Berne.
- Kunstmuseum (Museum of fine Arts) - Renowned for its fine collection of artwork, including the works of Pablo Picasso.
- Swiss Alpine Museum - A museum exhibiting the full range of the Swiss mountains.
- Berne Historical Museum - Switzerland's second-largest historical museum.
- Zentrum Paul Klee - A contemporary wave-shaped building.
- Rathausgasse - Home to cute shops selling handicrafts and luxury goods.
- Yamatuti - This is where unique toys and collectibles can be found in abundance.
- Krompholz Music - As the name suggests, this store is home to an extensive collection of sheet music and CDs.
- Bärenplatz Market - Find an array of local produce, including food and flowers.
- Waisenhausplatz Market – Berne’s local market.
Gay & Lesbian Berne
- Come Back Bar - Located in a cellar below medieval buildings, this bar is the place to be seen in Berne.
- ISC - A popular student venue with very loud music.
- Samurai Club - An upmarket gay club featuring some of the best music around.
- Lounge Kapelle - A classy lounge bar which Berne’s gay community regularly frequent.
- Liquido Club - Located near the city centre, this gay-friendly club is for those who like to dance.
- Tierpark Dählhölzli (Zoo) - Located along the Aare River, this Berne zoo features many outdoor enclosures.
- Bear Pits - Real live bears can be seen in the Bear Pits.
- Gurten - A lovely hill located just outside the centre of the city. A park and magnificent views of the city can be uncovered here.
- Rosengarten - A small park offering splendid views across the Old Town.
- Buskers Bern - An annual street musician festival that takes place in the Old Town.
- See SC Bern, Berne's ice hockey team, play at their impressive stadium, the PostFinance Arena.
- Watch the BSC Young Boys football team at the Stade de Suisse Wankdorf.
- Enjoy baseball and softball courtesy of the Bern Cardinals, who play at the Allmend.
- Take pleasure in a game of rugby and watch RC Bern, who also play at the Allmend.
- Visit the Sportanlage Schonau and catch the Bern Grizzlies American football club in action.
- Münster of Bern
- Historical Museum of Bern
- Im Juli
- Da Bucolo
- Blauer Engel
- Die Bar
- Kreissaal Bar
- Comeback Bar
Bern has a humid continental climate, with four distinct seasons.
- Winter (December to February) -4-5°C
- Spring (March to May) -1-18°C
- Summer (June to September) 9-24°C
- Fall (October to November) 0-14°C
Berne On Wikipedia
Berne official guide
19 hotels in Berne, CH
The City Am Bahnhof Hotel is a newly renovated three star hotel in the old city of Berne, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The city is famous for the Zytglogge Zeitglockenturm, or animated clock... More
Situated in the heart of historic Berne, Hotel Metropole Bern is ideally positioned for visitors wanting to explore this beautiful UNESCO World Heritage City. Just minutes away on foot are the... More
Blending pleasant ambience and friendly service, Savoy Hotel Berne is an ideal place for a fun filled holiday. The Collection of the Berne Museum of Fine Arts is one of the most distinguished in... More
An ideal place in the city of Berne, this hotel offers a warm welcome, pleasant ambience and convenient facilities. LocationSituated in the heart of Berne, close to the shops and railway station,... More
The four star Hotel Ambassador & Spa Berne is a fully renovated business hotel and spa on the quiet outskirts of the city. Just 2 kilometres from the centre of the city, the hotel is also suitable... More
Being an ideal place for guests on leisure and business, the Sorell Ador Hotel is a pleasant property that has easy access to the various important and interesting places of Berne. GeneralGuests... More
Best Western Hotel Berne is one of the most strategically located hotels in Berne. It is an ideal accommodation choice for both leisure and business travellers. This hotel is just 100 metres from... More
The Arabelle Hotel Berne represents a great choice for budget conscious travellers and those who nonetheless require a first rate location. GeneralPlaced just few minutes away from the medieval... More
Providing comfort and functionality, BEST WESTERN Hotel Bristol makes for an ideal starting point for exploring the Old City of Bern, the UNESCO World Heritage Site-listed medieval city centre. For... More