Sweden's southernmost city and third most populous after Stockholm and Gothenburg is a lively destination. Situated on the edge of the Oresund strait, which separates it from Copenhagen, Denmark, Malmo is a dynamic little metropolis with a lot of inherent charm. Since the completion of the Oresund Bridge, a modern marvel of structural engineering, the city has opened up considerably to the rest of Europe and indeed, the world.
While the tendency in Malmo is to spend a day by way of the Danish capital, the city deserves more time and attention than a mere cursory tour. From epic Malmo Castle, home to the superb Malmo Museum, to the 16th century Radhuset, or city hall, the city is awash with heritage architecture and great attractions. The most recent piece of eye candy is the decidedly twisted HSB Turning Torso, a unique take on the modern skyscraper located in Malmo's harbor.
- Gustav Adolf's Square – One of three main squares in Malmö.
- Statue of King Karl X Gustav – Located in the centre of the Big Square, this statue of King Karl X Gustav celebrates the man responsible for taking the city from the Danish dominion.
- Malmö City Hall – An ornate city hall built in 1546. A popular subject of tourists' holiday snaps.
- Kockska Huset – The house of Jörgen Kock.
- Malmöhus Castle – Situated west of the old city, this castle was built in 1437. The castle was inhabited by Danish kings in the 1500s and used as a prison up until 1914.
Malmö Art & Culture
- Malmö Museer – One of the largest, most important Malmö museums. The museum is located within a castle and is dedicated to the medieval history of Malmö.
- Rooseum – An extraordinary exhibition space filled with temporary exhibitions of modern art.
- Konsthall (Fine Art Museum) – A museum renowned for its bright-white exhibition halls. The works of many international artists can be found here.
- Stadsmuseum (City Museum) – The place to visit for those interested in the cultural history of the whole Skane region.
- Koggmuseet (Cog Museum) – A fascinating museum featuring a maritime theme.
- HansaCompagniet – A Malmö shopping centre located in the city centre.
- Triangeln – This popular shopping centre offers a mixture of clothes shopping and eating establishments.
- Storgatan – A large shopping centre selling mostly clothes for young people. The centre is also home to numerous shops.
- Södergatan – One of Malmö’s main shopping streets.
- Les Trois Roses – A lovely little chocolatier, perfect for purchasing tasty gifts.
Gay & Lesbian Malmö
- Indigo – A popular, cutting-edge Malmö dance club. Located in a former warehouse within the Triangeln neighbourhood.
- Club Skeppsbron – A mixed club for relatively mature clientele. This venue incorporates a restaurant and an outdoor terrace.
- Nightclub Étage – A mixed nightspot reached by climbing up a circular staircase from an enclosed courtyard.
- Slagthuset – A high-energy mixed dance club hailed as one of the largest dance clubs in Scandinavia.
- Bishop’s Arms – A cosy Anglo-Irish pub that attracts both tourists and locals in equal measure.
- Folkets Park – This amusement park is home to a range of different rides. The park is mostly suited to younger children. A terrarium can also be found here.
- Pildammsparken – An outdoor area featuring gardens and a theatre.
- Kungsparken/Slottsparken – An open space located behind the castle, the ideal spot for sunbathing or to enjoy a picnic with the family.
- Malmöfestivalen – A free, eight-day Malmö festival that takes place in August. Visitors can enjoy cultural and culinary experiences.
- Ribersborgsstranden – A2km-long sandy beach, ideal for swimming and sunbathing.
- Catch the Malmö FF football club at the Swedbank Stadion.
- Watch Sweden’s second-best football team, IFK Malmö, at the Malmö Stadion.
- Enjoy seeing the Malmö Redhawks ice hockey team in action at the Malmö Arena.
- Witness the first division handball team, HK Malmö.
- Watch the Malbas basketball club.
- HSB Turning Torso
- Oresund Bridge
- Malmo Castle
- Malmo FF Football
- Opera of Malmo
- Rainbow Festival
- BUFF Festival
- Anno 1900
- Johan P
- 1 ROK
- Salt & Byrgga
Malmo has a mild, oceanic climate, with four distinct seasons.
- Winter (December to February) -1-4°C
- Spring (March to May) 0-17°C
- Summer (June to September) 10-22°C
- Fall (October to November) 4-12°C
31 hotels in Malmo,
Business and holiday travellers visiting the beautiful city of Malmo find suitable base at the modern and sophisticated accommodations of Comfort Hotel Malmo. While in this part of Sweden,... More
Renaissance Malmo Hotel is an ideal accommodation for business as well as leisure travellers. This hotel combines the modern facilities to ensure an exciting stay in Malmo city. Malmo Museer and... More
Scandic Triangeln has 20 floors of spacious guest rooms with great views. Excellent location in central Malmo on the city's largest shopping street and with Turning Torso and other Malmo... More
Whether in Malmo for business or leisure, travellers find suitable base in the comfortable accommodations of centrally located Astoria Hotel Malmo. While on vacation, tourists play on the slots and... More
Housed in an elegant building, Hotell Baltzar Malmo fuses classic style with modern sensibilities. This value-for-money hotel in Malmo offers comfortable accommodations and central location, near... More
The stylish Grand Hotel Garden Malmo is located in the very heart of Malm. Whether it is a question of business, relaxation or pleasure, the hotel is for those who value quality and convenience.... More
First Hotel Jorgen Kock Malmo is a welcome embrace for weary travellers who are looking for comfortable accommodation in a great location. This property is near St Petri Kyrka, Malmo Castle, Malmo... More
Teaterhotellet Hotel Malmo is a contemporary business hotel featuring comfortable accommodations set within convenient distance to local attractions and recreation sites. While in Malmo, art... More
Offering comfortable accommodations strategically set in the heart of Malmo, Hotel Duxiana makes an ideal base for holidaymakers visiting sights in this side of Sweden. Guests at this... More