San Sebastian hotels
The former summer capital of Spain's royal family and haven for the likes of Leon Trotsky, Toulouse Lautrec and Mata Hari, San Sebastian is a magical place. The Basque city of Donostia, the official name of San Sebastian, welcomes a diverse cluster of visitors every year, from cinephiles who come for the International Film Festival to gourmet hunters who covet the cuisine of Juan Mari Arzak and Martin Berasategui, both rock star chefs in the food world.
Where San Sebastian shines however, is in the Parte Vieja and La Concha Bay. The old quarter teems with the city's version of the tapas bar, known in Donostia-San Sebastian as pintxo. Though the city is home to three-star Michelin restaurants, the pintxo bars of the Parte Vieja comprise the ultimate Basque culinary and indeed, cultural experience. The crescent beach of La Concha Bay is where locals and visitors alike gather in the pristine summer months to socialize, swim and soak up the sun.
San Sebastian History
- Museo Naval - A museum dedicated to the naval history of Spain and especially of the Basques.
- Mirando a San Sebastian - This museum is all about the history of the city, from its origins to the present day.
- Santa Maria del Coro - A historic church is located in the old town, where you can soak up the history both inside and out.
- Ayuntamiento de San Sebastian - Built in 1882, this building began as a casino and now is the home of the City Hall.
- Kiosko del Boulevard - After the fire in 1813, there were plans to rebuild the city. This pavilion is the home of the plans and what might have been.
San Sebastian Art & Culture
- Combs of the Winds - Eduardo Chillida created this sculpture by the sea.
- San Telmo Museoa - This art museum features exhibits of Basque art and history.
- Kursaal - This building is known for its beautiful architecture and is best viewed at night from the jetty.
- Parte Viejo - A picturesque neighbourhood in San Sebastian known for its dining and nightlife.
- Centro Cultural Koldo Mitxelena - This former engineering school now houses a number of cultural exhibits and events.
San Sebastian Shopping
- Kukuxumusu - This is the store for the Basque clothing label of the same name.
- Divain - This store features furniture and jewellery from Argentina.
- Trip - This aptly named store is your location for buying souvenirs from San Sebastian.
- Elkar Megadenda - This store has books, music and art and also boasts a Basque section.
- Don Serapio - Choose from an assortment of vegetables, fruit, fish, cheeses, wines and other delicacies.
Gay and Lesbian San Sebastian
- Dioni’s - This gay bar is also known for serving black coffee in the mornings and has an ’80s feel.
- Pokhara - A mixed bar with a relaxed atmosphere. It is one of the most popular in the city.
- Kontra - This is one of the oldest gay bars in town with a mixed age clientele.
- Miraconcha - This area is where most of the gay entertainment in San Sebastian is found.
- Maria Christina Hotel - A gay-friendly hotel is located in the centre of the city and has a long history.
San Sebastian Outdoor
- Parque de Atracciones - This is an amusement park where you pay per ride instead of a park fee.
- Aquarium - Begin with a tour of the naval museum and then enter the world of the sea, with many exhibits of local fish.
- Monte Urgull - Climb to the top for the best views of San Sebastian and its surroundings.
- Monte Igueldo Funfair Park - This is a family-friendly amusement park complete with donkey rides.
- Playa de la Zurriola - This is a popular beach for surfing and swimming.
San Sebastian Sport
- Surf off one of the many beaches.
- See a game by the Real Sociedad football team.
- Watch cyclists compete in the Clasica de San Sebastian.
- Golf at one of several local courses.
- Climb or trek the beautiful mountains nearby.
- Miramar Palace
- San Sebastian Cathedral
- La Concha
- Plaza de la Constitución
- Parte Vieja
- San Sebastian International Film Festival
- San Sebastian Jazz Festival
- Street Zinema Festival
- Semana Grande
- Basque Week
- Martin Berasategui
- La Cuchara San Telmo
- Aloña Berri
San Sebastian has a mild, temperate climate, with moderate conditions throughout the year.
- Winter (December to February) 2-14°C
- Spring (March to May) 5-24°C
- Summer (June to September) 13-31°C
- Fall (October to November) 5-21°C
San Sebastian official guide
17 hotels in San Sebastian, ES
Characterized for its huge range of facilities in a comfortable atmosphere, this property is an ideal place for a pleasant and unforgettable stay as well as to explore the San Sebastian beaches,... More
Whether on business or family vacation, stay at the Astoria7 Hotel San Sebastian and indulge yourself in luxury and style with highly sophisticated technology that surrounds you and makes you feel... More
Offering unparalleled opportunities for relaxation amid beautiful environment, the Tryp Orly Hotel San Sebastian is an ideal choice for business guests as well as long term stays. GeneralTryp Orly... More
Palacio De Aiete Hotel San Sebastian is a modern property fully integrated in its natural environment. Due to its exceptional location and high degree of comfort, it manages to remain a favourite. ... More
The 3 star Hotel Husa Europa enjoys an unrivalled location in San Sebastian city centre , in the so called "Romantic Area", just a 2 minute walk from the iconic Concha beach and 10... More
Welcome to the new Zenit San Sebastian Hotel.Opened in September 2014, the new Zenit San Sebastian Hotel is located in the neighborhood of Amara, Morlans area.Leave your car in our parking and... More
Imagine a place in the centre of San Sebastian which encompasses cosiness and warmth with services and comfort; the perfect combination of a century-old villa and a luxury hotel for a unique stay.... More
Offering favourable location and relaxing atmosphere, this property is the right choice of accommodation while visiting San Sebastian. GeneralThe hotel provides 500 square metres of versatile... More
The hotel is located next to famous and historical premises of Igueldo Hill (Monte Igueldo), with panoramic views on the city and the bahia. At Igueldo is possible to visit the city wood... More
Paseo Republica Argentina, 4 Map
Hotel Maria Cristina San Sebastian is an emblematic place for a unique occasion with its pleasant ambience and convenient facilities. Santa Maria del Coro is one of the popular attraction of this... More