The extravagant, young and trendy neighbourhood of Chueca is the colourful hub of Madrid’s gay community. The streets are lined with quirky boutiques and sidewalk cafes that at night give way to the throbbing bass and neon lights of the infamous nightclubs that dot the area. This centrally located neighbourhood was named for Federico Chueca, whose light, airy waltzes can still be heard around Spain. Food lovers come for the chic restaurants and tapas bars where people can enjoy everything from sushi to traditional Spanish fare after strolling along the spotless streets.
- Learn wine tasting from the experts at Planeto Vino, a wine tasting school in this neighbourhood where newcomers and aficionados alike can enjoy the tasty red wine region is known for.
- Visit the Mercado San Anton one of Madrid’s trendy indoor food markets where smartly dressed Chueca visitors can enjoy cactus sorbet, grilled fish and strong coffee.
- Come to Chueca for the annual gay pride festival, where beautiful men and women put on colourful parades through the streets and everyone is accepted, regardless of orientation.
Because Chueca is located directly in the centre of Madrid, it can be reached in a number of ways. Found just off of Gran Via, Chueca is best reached by the Metro stop with this name. The pleasant atmosphere, clean streets and safe environment make this one of the best places in in the city for pedestrians, but be wary as the streets are a lively maze of winding streets that can quickly leave visitors bewildered. People-watching is a primary activity in this area, so people should get around on foot to best soak up the ambiance.
Cities in Spain
- Barcelona hotels (429 hotels)
- Madrid hotels (355 hotels)
- Granada hotels (95 hotels)
- Valencia hotels (88 hotels)
- Seville hotels (105 hotels)
- Torremolinos hotels (10 hotels)
- Malaga hotels (38 hotels)
- Pais Vasco hotels (8 hotels)
- L'Hospitalet de Llobregat hotels (7 hotels)
- Caleta de Fuste hotels (1 hotel)
30 hotels in Chueca
Eric Vokel Madrid Suites Hotel creatively highlights traditional Nordic design with sleek furnishings and a laid-back Mediterranean ambience, fit for travellers visiting vibrant Madrid. While in... More
Surrounded by natural beauty, the Sieteislas Hotel with its discreet charm and warm atmosphere is the perfect place to rejuvenate, relaxing escape or for a family holiday on the Madrid. ... More
Offering comfortably appointed spaces in the historic city centre, Hostal Ballesta Madrid makes for an ideal base for travellers looking to spend time in Madrid. From this cosy Spain hostel,... More
Hostal Foster is situated in the centre of Madrid, just 100 metres from Santo Domingo Metro Station. It offers free Wi Fi and brightly colored rooms with fun wall designs. Air conditioned rooms at... More
Splendom Suites Gran Via features tastefully furnished apartments conveniently positioned in the heart of Madrid within walking distance to the upscale shopping and commercial street of Gran Via.... More
San Lorenzo Hostal Madrid showcases metropolitan living amidst historical foundations in the vibrant city. Business travellers are afforded an easy distance to Madrid Convention Centre. Shopping is... More
Blending old charm and contemporary facilities, Urso Hotel & Spa is a boutique hotel set in a 20th century palace strategically located in the heritage-rich Spanish capital. This Madrid luxury... More
Offering warm welcome and high standards of accommodation, this property is an ideal place for a comfortable stay. GeneralBusiness travellers can make use of the conference facilities, available... More
With comfortable accommodations in a central location, Pizarro Hostal Madrid makes for a suitable base for travellers visiting beautiful Madrid. This gay-friendly value-for-money hostel places... More