Who would have thought that one day we would actually agree with Belinda Carlisle? No. Really. Heaven is a place on earth.
Without doubt one of the most beautiful of the Canary Islands, Fuerteventura’s only drawback is that its name is a little tricky to type at speed. With over 150 beaches, complete with dunes and ‘Oh my God!’ stretches of water, this is the perfect place to relax, explore, eat, drink or just watch as the locals go about their days.
Then when you’re done surfing, or sunbathing or soaking up everything else on offer, head off to explore the suburbs of Antigua, Betancuria, La Oliva, Pájara, Puerto del Rosario and Tuineje to find something new to entice and excite everywhere you step. That’s the beauty of the place. Well, that and the sheer beauty of the place!
Fuerteventura’s Top 10
10. Parque Natural de Betancuria Simply adorable. Mountains, parks, cottages and general charm.
5. Isla de Lobos Take the El Majorero for a day trip or mini-cruise.
9. Casa Museo de Betancuria Even if you’re not into Guanche artefacts (and who isn't?), you’ll still love the collection here.
4. Playa del Mattoral More water sports around this often deserted and under-rated natural beauty.
8. Museo de Arte Sacro Paintings, silverware and general treasures. Get a combined pass for this and the Santa Maria.
3. Museo Artesania Museum and crafts! Take Granny. But don’t give her too much of the yummy local cheese or booze!
7. Iglesia de Santa María Arrr, me hearties! Watch your back for pirates in this renovated Gothic mansion.
2. Casa Museo de Unamuno It’s like going over to your mate’s house. If your mate is a famous philosopher and speaks Spanish.
6. Castillo del Tostón Climb right to the top to see the best views of the surrounding beaches, before taking part in the sight and sound show.
1. Parque Natural de Corralejo Windsurf or kiteboard your way up the 10km of perfect dunes and coastline. Bonus features include hunks in trunks and babes in bikinis.
Fuerteventura Island History
- Iglesia Catedral de Santa Maria de Betancuria – This historic church dating back to the 16th century is a must-see.
- San Buenaventura – On the outskirts in Betancuria is the oldest abbey on the island.
- El Cotillo – Visit the castle on the beach built as a watchtower to protect the town from pirates in 1763.
- Nuestra Senora de Regia – See the beautiful wall coverings in this church in Pajara.
- Casa del Capellan – Visit the house of one of the town’s historic priests in La Oliva.
Fuerteventura Island Art & Culture
- Fuerteventura en Música : La Caja de Canarias –This music festival takes place in July.
- Centro de Arte Canario – See the outdoor sculptures on display here in La Oliva.
- Centro de Artesania Molino de Antigua –View the popular art collection here in Antigua.
- Tablao Los Duendes – This live flamenco show is held every Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
- Fuerteventura Carnival – This is one huge celebration of local culture early in the year across the whole island.
Fuerteventura Island Shopping
- Las Rotundas – This shopping centre in Puerto del Rosario has many well-known brands.
- Markets – Buy unique gifts at the Caleta de Fuste Saturday morning market.
- Corralejo Main Street – This street is full of shops of all kinds and usually busy.
- Artesania Lajares – This is the place to buy locally made crafts and watch lace being made.
- Antigua Windmill – Shop at the arts and crafts store inside this historic windmill in Antigua.
Gay & Lesbian Fuerteventura Island
- Bubbles Bar – This is a popular lively gay bar in Corralejo in the old town.
- La Casa Gay – This gay guesthouse is located on Valle Valhondo in Puerto Del Rosario.
- Diamonds Music Bar – A gay-friendly karaoke venue with cross-dressing hosts.
- Playa Castillo – The section of nudist beach here at La Oliva is popular with the gay community.
- Rainbow Sun Weekend – An annual gay and transsexual weekend celebration in Corralejo in October.
Fuerteventura Island Outdoor
- Quad Bike Safari – Explore the landscape in with a quad bike safari with X-Squad in Corralejo.
- Caleta de Fuste – Sunbathe on this long, golden-sand beach.
- Playa Blanca – This is a great beach in Puerto Del Rosario for swimming in the sea, as it has lifeguards on duty at busy times.
- Park Natural de Corralejo – Go for a stroll amidst the natural beauty of this nature park in Corralejo.
- Playa de Ajuy – There are fantastic caves to explore here in Ajuy.
Fuerteventura Island Sport
- Learn windsurfing at Flag Beach Windsurf Centre on Flag Beach.
- Go on a mountain bike tour of the terrains of Fuerteventura with EEE Bikers.
- Surf the seas with Homegrown Surf School in Corralejo.
- Play a round of golf at island’s first golf course at Caleta de Fuste.
- Gone Fishing in Caleta de Fuste will sort you out with what you need to go fishing.
February and March see each town on the island go into battle during Carnival. Almost every major town hosts its own carnival, each attempting to out-do the others with noise, colour and sheer abandon.
The skies over Dunas de Corralejo Natural Park come alive in November during the annual Kite Festival.
When To Go
Basically, we’re glad to tell you – it’s always delightful! It’s warm and sunny for around 300 days in a year. Bliss!
Fuerteventura experiences the least rainfall of all the other Canary Islands, while the summer months of July, August and September are the hottest, with temperatures averaging 29°C (84°F)
For the rest of the year, it’s still very pleasant, only dropping to around 15°C (59°F) in January and February.
Hiring a car is the best way to discover the more remote areas. It’s not too expensive, especially if you’re in a group and are not planning to dent the bonnet!
The bus lines from Puerto del Rosalio (via airport) to Correlejo, Caleta de Fuste, Morro del Jable and Cotillo are cheap and very reliable. The buses also make it easy to get from Correlejo to the brilliant southern sand-dune beaches.
As a member of the Canary Islands, Fuerteventura belongs to an exclusive club. Few resort archipelagos in the world can compete head to head with the Spanish island chain off the west coast of Africa. Fuerteventura may be second in size in the Canary Islands, behind busy Tenerife, but is no small fry when it comes to vacation appeal. At 100 km long and 30 km wide, the Atlantic Ocean island offers many sweet escapes under the hot sun. Known as the "Island of Eternal Spring", the mercury rarely dips below 15°C on Fuerteventura and the island as a whole boasts over 3,000 hours of sunshine a year. No small wonder then that as of 1965, resorts have sprung up all along the pristine coastline, from Corralejo in the north, with over 11 km of fine sand, to Cofete in the southwest, with believe it or not, 35 km of beautiful beach.
Attractions & Activities
- Morro Jable
- Punta de Jandía
- Puerto del Rosario
- Puerto del Rosario Carnaval
- Antigua Artisan Fair
- Corralejo Kite Festival
Restaurant & Nightlife
- El Roque de los Pescadores
- El Tren
- Blue Jeans
- Rock Cafe
- Imagine Live Music Bar
- Kiwi Cafe
Like the rest of the Canary Islands, the weather in Fuerteventura is idyllic, with very little relative variance from one month to the next and hardly any rainfall to speak of. Temperatures waver between a low of 13°C in December and a high of 29°C in August and September.
53 hotels in Fuerteventura, ES
To experience the perfect accommodation blended with a warm welcome and unsurpassed service, the H10 Playa Esmeralda Hotel Fuerteventura is just the place for you to relax. GeneralThe H10 Playa... More
Offering everything that you need for a holiday, the Castillo San Jorge Antigua & Suites Fuerteventura Hotel is a perfect base for holidaymakers and water sports lovers. GeneralThis property has a... More
C/ Las Dunas s/n Map
Suite Hotel Atlantis Fuerteventura All Inclusive Resort is surrounded by tropical gardens and white sand beaches, over an area of 65.000 square meters. It also has Baku Centro de Ocio y Cultura,... More
Whether travelling for business or leisure, Hotel Melia Gorriones Fuerteventura with its fantastic accommodations and unmatched services welcomes guests for a holiday experience of a lifetime.... More
Assuring comfortable accommodation blended with quality service, this hotel makes you to enjoy all the privileges for an unforgettable stay. GeneralFor business or social needs, this property... More
Come and experience the comfortable accommodation blended with warm hospitality and an excellent service at the Iberostar Gaviotas Park All Inclusive Hotel. GeneralOther facilities include a... More
Discover the exotic charms of the island of Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands at the Iberostar Palace Fuerteventura, which has an idyllic location and excellent amenities that makes it the... More
Combining contemporary decor and luxurious accommodation, this property creates an inviting ambiance for you to enjoy. GeneralThis property boasts 3 well-equipped meeting rooms that can... More
Carretera Majanicho 100 Map
With stylish accommodations and up-to-date facilities, Pierre & Vacances Village Club Fuerteventura OrigoMare makes for an ideal base for travellers in a vibrant vacation in Lajares, Fuerteventura.... More