Santa Maria del Mar hotels
Iglesia Santa Maria del Mar
The Iglesia Santa Maria del Mar or St. Mary of the Sea Church is a Catalonian Gothic church built in the 14th century. The church is situated in the Ribera district of Barcelona, Spain. It is highly distinguished for its exquisite architecture, which was the work of architect Berenguer de Montagut. The church was built to commemorate the conquest of Sardinia by the Catalans, and was patronized mostly by merchants and ship owners. During a 1960s excavation, it was discovered that a Roman necropolis used to stand on the church's grounds between the 4th and 6th century.
- Tour the impressive and spacious interior of the Iglesia Santa Maria del Mar, which features a towering central nave adorned with arches and octagonal pillars that are quite distinct from all churches in Barcelona.
- Explore the three facades of the church, which are located on Santa Maria Street, Paseo del Born and Santa Maria main square, and are representations of Gothic architecture that is unique to Barcelona and the Catalan region.
- Visit the Iglesia Santa Maria del Mar on a Sunday at 1 p.m. to witness the highly regarded choir performance.
The Iglesia Santa Maria del Mar is located in Plaza de Santa Maria and is quite accessible via Barcelona's public transportation network. Visitors to the church can take Barcelona metro underground system and get off at Jaume I station, which is the nearest metro station to the church. From this station, the church is only a 3-5 minute walk away. Another alternative for commuters is to take the city bus service that stops at Via Laietana-Argenteria. This stop is also just a few minutes' walk from Santa Maria del Mar.
Cities in Spain
- Barcelona hotels (429 hotels)
- Madrid hotels (355 hotels)
- Valencia hotels (88 hotels)
- Granada hotels (95 hotels)
- Seville hotels (105 hotels)
- Torremolinos hotels (10 hotels)
- Malaga hotels (38 hotels)
- Torrejon De Ardoz hotels (4 hotels)
- Pais Vasco hotels (8 hotels)
- L'Hospitalet de Llobregat hotels (7 hotels)
410 hotels near Santa Maria del Mar
Offering warm welcome and high standards of accommodation, this property is an ideal place for a comfortable stay. GeneralGuests can avail the services of fax, photocopy as well as internet. At... More
Nouvel Hotel is a modernist building, which is considered as one of the oldest hotels in Barcelona. Restored and well maintained, guests can experience world-class hospitality from the staff. ... More
To experience the classical Catalonian hospitality in a superb location, Avenida Palace Hotel Barcelona provides the perfect setting for an enjoyable holiday experience. The Casa Batllo and La... More
Barcelona Universal Hotel offers quality lodging in La Rambla, a frequented place by tourists for entertainment and shopping. Lyceum Theater, an opera house, is one of the historic landmarks of the... More
Pulitzer Hotel offers comfortable accommodation and convenient facilities to make your stay in Barcelona a pleasant one. General The hotel boasts a meeting room, business centre office, library... More
Confortel Almirante Hotel Barcelona enjoys a fine location close to Harlem Jazz Club, Barcelona's famous nightclub. It also offers comfortable accommodation and quality services to cater an... More
Offering excellent facilities and services, this property is an ideal place for a pleasant as well as a relaxing stay. GeneralThe property offers well-equipped conference rooms for organising your... More
Featuring contemporary accommodations housed in a late 19th century palace, Hotel Gran Via makes for an ideal base for visitors looking to explore the vibrant city of Barcelona. Travellers can... More
Silken Ramblas Hotel Barcelona welcomes sophisticated travellers to a plush retreat set close to major tourist attractions in the heart of this heritage-rich Catalonia capital. This stylish... More