Sun City hotels
Sun City General Information
Led by E Street Band and The Sopranos alum Steven Van Zandt, Artists United Against Apartheid made Sun City, South Africa an infamous household name with the 1985 protest song “Sun City”. Though banished from South African airwaves, the song was a big international hit and indeed, thrust the casino resort into a kind of collective mainstream consciousness, most notably for young people.
Today of course, with the apartheid era history, few refuse to “play Sun City”, as the song lyrics go. Tourism in South Africa is now a big business and a vital cog of the economy, especially in the wake of the 2010 FIFA World Cup. While gorgeous national parks and game reserves and Cape Town, Stellenbosch and Durban lure untold international visitors, Sun City is wildly popular as well. The upmarket resort city is on the border of the phenomenal Pilanesberg Game Reserve and a short drive from Johannesburg, Pretoria and Rustenberg. Sun City was the brainchild of legendary South African hotel magnate Sol Kerzner, who has since sold the resort, and was the most ambitious leisure and entertainment development in all of Africa when it was built in 1979. South Africa and Sun City have come a long way since and, as a result, the comprehensive resort is a first-class holiday target.
Sun City History
- Apartheid Museum – Located in Johannesburg, this museum features exhibits that highlight the rise and fall of segregation and oppression in South Africa during apartheid.
- Museum Africa – Has exhibits detailing various historical events in South Africa.
- Origins Centre – A centre in Sun City that explores Africa as the place of humankind’s origin.
- Mandela Museum – Visit the tiny home where this historical figure lived with his first wife.
- South African National Museum of Military History – View the weapons used in South Africa from 1899 to World War II.
Sun City Art & Culture
- Zulu Hut Experience – Held in the Cabanas Hotel, this is a unique dining experience where you learn traditional handwashing ceremonies and listen to stories about the culture.
- Sun City Casino – Try your luck at this casino, which sits in the middle of the Sun City Resort.
- Shebeen – An alternative to a bar or pub.
- Cultural Village – Learn about traditional African life through shows featuring tribal dancing.
- Madikwe Game Reserve – One of the city’s premier destinations for safaris.
Sun City Shopping
- Entertainment Centre – A place where you can find basic items like film and magazines.
- Waterworld Beach Shop – A place to get swimming and sports gear.
- Indaba – You will find many housewares and gifts made by local artists.
- Sun City Collection – This is the place to go to purchase souvenirs for friends and family back home.
- Newsagent – Those looking for local newspapers can find them here.
Sun City Gay & Lesbian
- Mo’s Place – A gay-friendly hotel owned by a lesbian. Features television and tea and coffee in the room.
- Queer Johannesburg Tour – The first Sunday of every month, this tour takes you around all of the gay-friendly or themed places in the city.
- Mother City Queer Project – Held yearly in December in Cape Town, this is described as the biggest gay and lesbian party of the year.
- Beaulah Bar – A mixed bar in Cape Town that is popular with gay men and lesbians.
- Deon’s Gat Party – A country-western-themed gay bar in Cape Town.
Sun City Outdoor
- The Valley of Waves – A water park that used technology to generate waves.
- Kwena Crocodile Farm – A sanctuary for crocodiles. Kids and adults can learn about and feed the crocodiles.
- Waterworld – A theme park featuring putt-putt, mini-cars and cruises around the lake.
- Steam Train Rides Stimela – This train ride will take you through the Cabanas Aviary where you can see ostrich, impala and nyala.
- Waterworld Picnic Lawn – Enjoy a nice lunch outdoors close to the lakeshore with a playground for children.
Sun City Sport
- Play golf at the world-class, 18-hole Lost City Golf Course.
- Go on a balloon safari over Pilanesberg National Park to see exotic animals.
- Join in on a quad-biking excursion through the Letsatsing Game Park with experienced guides.
- Check out the 2010 FIFA World Cup venue, Royal Bafokeng Stadium, in nearby Rustenburg.
- Try your hand at clay pigeon shooting or archery at the Outdoor Adventure Centre.
- Kwena Crocodile Farm
- The Valley of Waves
- Zulu Hut Experience
- Sun City Casino
- Thaba Ye Letsatsing Mountain in the Sun
- Steam Train Rides Stimela
- Gary Player Golf Course
- Lost City Golf Course
- Squire’s Grill
- Santorini Restaurant
- The Fishmonger
- Villa del Palazzo
- The Orchid Restaurant
- Vistas Bar
- Tusk Bar and Lounge
- Peninsula Bar
- Harlequins Cocktail Bar
- Loerie & Kingfisher Bar
Sun City has a humid subtropical climate, with four distinct seasons.
- Winter (June to August) 6-21°C
- Spring (September to November) 13-26°C
- Summer (December to March) 17-27°C
- Fall (April to May) 10-23°C
4 hotels in Sun City, ZA
Tourists looking for a tranquil vacation in the vibrant Sun City Resort find ideal base at the elegant accommodations of Cabanas Hotel. Aside from visiting the amphibians at Kwena Crocodile Farm,... More
Known as the Grand Old Lady of Sun City, The Cascades Hotel Sun City stands in timeless elegance and sophistication. Its location pledges a so-much-to-see-and-do vacation. Vacationers can surf in... More
The best hotel in the Sun City complex, this 5* Deluxe hotel delivers evertything you'd expect from a member of the 'Luxury hotels of the world' group. There are certain dates in the year when... More