Mahe Island hotels
Marvellous Mahe Island
Mahe is the largest and most important island in the Seychelles archipelago – although in global terms, it’s not really all that large or important. What Mahe Island is, however, is lush greenery, azure waters and platinum sands that you don’t have to fight hordes of scantily clad day-trippers for your own strip to enjoy.
The rest of Mahe Island is as rolling and scenic as the capital city of Victoria is tiny and quiet – from the 900m peak of titanic Morne Seychellois to the secluded shores of Anse Forbans. If you view the lack of exposed flesh as a drawback then head to the Beau Vallon Bay Casino or the ambitiously named Level 3 Bar. What Mahe’s nightlife lacks in skyscraper lounges it makes up for with ice-cold drinks and, more importantly, plenty of warm vibes.
Mahe’s Top 10
10. Beau Vallon Mahe’s best-known beach is often skipped by visitors in search of more remote locations. So Beau Vallon is actually rather peaceful.
5. Diving Whale shark season is something to embrace, not avoid. Just take our word for it.
9. French Cultural Centre You don’t have to be a member (or French) to enjoy the books, events and meals.
4. Morne Seychellois National Park Covers 20 per cent of the island, so pick up a trail map before charging into its leafy terrain.
8. Le Jardin du Roi Spice Garden Off the beaten tourist track, you’re actually encouraged to taste the fruits of this Creole Garden of Eden.
3. The Botanical Gardens Not won over by a ton of interesting trees and plants? The Botanical Gardens also feature a teahouse and giant tortoises.
7. Chateau des Mamelles The Seychelles National Museum is pretty dire, so get a dose of history at this elegant old plantation house instead.
2. Victoria Markets Follow your nose towards the fragrant spices and fresh fish. Also sells a wide array of locally made crafts.
6. Tea Factory The best shop in Mahe – and totally worth the 25-minute drive from the city.
1. The Clock Tower Mahe residents will probably scorn you for calling their city landmark a miniature Big Ben, but that’s what it looks like.
Mahe Island History
- Victoria Clocktower – One of the main features found in the capital is an elegant copy of the Vauxhall Clock Tower in London.
- Mission Lodge – The ruins of a former school that was built for the children of freed slaves.
- St George Fort – This important landmark represents the time when the French ruled the island.
- Old Courthouse – This side features the typical Creole architecture and is an amazing site.
- Bicentennial Monument – Also known as the Three Birds, it features three sets of white wings representing cultures that came together in the Seychelles: European, Asian and African.
Mahe Island Art & Culture
- Natural History Museum – A Mahe Island museum that offers exhibits showing the natural wildlife.
- Seychelles National Museum – A small museum that features the background and history of the area.
- Tea Factory – Take a tour of this factory for a complete overview.
- National Cultural Centre – Home to a collection of cultural objects and historical artefacts.
- French Cultural Centre – Offers an art gallery and library.
Mahe Island Shopping
- Sir Selwyn Selwyn-Clarke Market – A fabulous market in Mahe Island with stalls and vendors offering all kinds of fresh produce, spices and food.
- Anse aux Pins – Offers an amazing craft village where you can find interesting and unique souvenirs.
- Maki – A shop that specializes in making high-qualit,y eco-friendly clothing..
- Seypot Factory Shop – Features a great assortment of ceramics made from local materials.
- Antik Colony – The place to go to find beautiful gifts and souvenirs.
Gay & Lesbian Mahe Island
- Le Meridien Fishman’s Cove – A lovely waterfront place you will find very welcoming.
- Le Meridien Barbarons – A great place to go for lots of fun.
- The Barrel – On Friday and Saturday nights, this place is hopping.
- Sailfish Beach Villas – Along the coast, with a lovely view for a relaxing time.
- Villas de Jardin – A great place to stay for a relaxing visit to the island.
Mahe Island Outdoor
- Victoria's Botanical Gardens – With over 200 varieties of flora, this is a lovely place to spend the day.
- Morne Seychellois – The highest point on the island stands at 905m and offers a wonderful view.
- Le Jardin Du Roi Spice Garden – A hidden gem and beautiful place to visit.
- Aldabra Atoll Mahe Island – Four remote islands made of coral and home to thousands of seabirds and giant tortoises.
- Beau Vallon – The most well-known and popular beach on the island.
Mahe Island Sport
- Mahe Island is home to the National Stadium and hosts the Pirates, the national soccer team.
- For some great snorkelling, try the Anse Soliel Bay.
- The Indian Ocean around Mahe Island is a wonderful place for beautiful diving.
- Mahe has great opportunities for buggy and jeep off-roading.
- The Beau Vallon is the place to go for wind surfing and paragliding.
Bazar Labrin is a lip-smackingly good festival of Creole cuisine, celebrated on Wednesday nights alongside the Beau Vallon beach.
The National Fishing Competition is one of April’s key attractions, but if slimy sea life isn’t your thing, it’s equally good just to watch.
Plenty of cities around the world host a film festival, but Mahe’s Subios at the start of October is probably one of the few where every film is shot underwater.
Mahe is proud of its Creole heritage, so it makes sense that the Creole Festival is celebrated with intense fervour each October. For visitors, this means arts, crafts, music, dance and food.
December’s Seychelles Arts Festival sees culture aficionados flocking to Victoria for performing arts demonstrations and workshops.
When To Go
Mahe enjoys a warm, tropical climate, and the weather remains pretty stable throughout the year.
September to May is the rainiest period.
Scuba divers will want to visit in April, May, October or November, while hikers generally try to skip the more humid months.
Mahe has a good bus system, which is also good for getting a taste of local flavour (so they can get rather crowded).
Taxis are expensive, but most drivers happily double as personal tour guides.
Renting a car is one of the best ways to explore Mahe Island at your own pace.
Comfortable hotel taking prime location on the famous Beau Vallon Beach offers modern cosy rooms, pleasant dining experience, easygoing entertainment, water sports and vicinity to touristic... More
Anse Forbans Mahe Map
Signature chocolate chip cookie at check-in
Feel at home with modern comforts and warm hospitality at the Double Tree by Hilton Seychelles - Allamanda Resort & Spa. Savor our warm chocolate chip cookie upon arrival and enjoy impeccable... More
Relaxing Stay in Paradise
Being an ideal place in the city of Victoria, this hotel offers a warm welcome, pleasant ambience and convenient facilities to make your stay a memorable one. GeneralGuests travelling on business... More
The crystal blue sea is the home of many tropical fish and makes Le Meridien Fisherman's Cove the perfect destination for snorkelling or diving enthusiasts. General Zen Fitness & Spa Centre offers... More
With inviting beachfront accommodations, Sunset Beach Hotel (Minimum age 8 yrs) creates an ideal sanctuary for travellers seeking to spend a holiday under the sun in this picturesque Seychelles... More
The Cerf Island Resort is a small luxury vacation hideaway in the heart of the clear blue seas of the Indian Ocean. GeneralThe private mini spa surrounded by Kallis du Pap trees is the perfect... More
Savoy Resort & Spa is a 5-star beach resort. e new Savoy Resort & Spa is located on Beau Vallon Beach, Seychelles. e resort offers a total of 163 luxurious rooms and suites. Savoy Resort... More
Kempinski Seychelles Resort Mahe Island, Baie Lazare, is an indulgent retreat that captures the spirit of Seychelles. Discover a world of exceptional experiences, from tranquil beachside luxury to... More
Excellent Resort in the Best Location in the Seychelles
P.O. BOX 388 - Victoria - Mahe - Sychelles - Indian ocean, Seychelles Map
Early Booking 50% Discount
Located on a 220-hectare private island in the Indian Ocean just 10 minutes away from Mahe, Sainte Anne Resort & Spa Victoria, is the last word in luxury in the Seychelles. This All Inclusive 5... More
AVANI Seychelles Barbarons Resort & Spa Map
Stay 3, Save 25%
Blending European heritage with a contemporary vibe, tropical island holidays feel stylish and refreshing at AVANI Seychelles Barbarons Resort & Spa. Sunbathe on a sandy beach, cool off in the... More