The capital city of Poland is a major metropolis, with vital economic and political clout and well over 3 million people. Warsaw was almost completely rebuilt after World War II and for decades, was a virtual black sheep in the world of mainstream tourism. After the downfall of the communist regime in Poland in 1989 and with eventual admission into the European Union however, the country, and indeed Warsaw, suddenly became more open and attractive.
The city is a foremost destination to discover, with museums galore, beautiful heritage architecture that spans almost every major period and a dynamic arts and culture scene. As such a complete tourist city, the conundrum in Warsaw is where to start. Try the UNESCO World Heritage Old Town for one, where 700 years of history lines the Vistula river. St. John's Cathedral is the most prominent Old Town landmark and the market place is a wonderful spot to rest weary feet and enjoy a traditional meal at one of several restaurants.
- Royal Castle – Located in Warsaw Old Town, this castle is the former residence of the Polish monarchs.
- Sigismund’s Column – This 1644 monument is found in Castle Square.
- Saxon Garden – This 15-hectare garden in downtown Warsaw is the city’s oldest public park.
- Powazki Cemetery – One of Europe’s oldest cemeteries and home to sculptures by renowned artists of the 19th century.
- Chopin Statue – This huge bronze statue dedicated to Chopin is found in the Royal Baths Park.
Warsaw Art & Culture
- Wianki Festival – Held on Midsummer’s Night on the banks of the Vistula, this yearly festival boasts a range of cultural events.
- Warsaw Film Festival – This yearly film festival takes place in October each year.
- Antonina Lesniewska Museum of Pharmacy – This museum attracts thousands of pharmacy students from across the globe.
- Historical Museum of Warsaw – This popular museum provides tourists with an insight into Warsaw’s intriguing past.
- Museum of Evolution and Institute of Paleobiology – A must-visit museum for those interested in the natural sciences.
- Galeria Centrum – One of the largest department stores in Poland.
- Ulica Chmielna – A pedestrian Warsaw street filled with interesting shops.
- Smyk Building – This eye-catching glass department store sells books, clothing, shoes, stationery and much more.
- Sadyba Best Shopping Mall – This large shopping centre is home to many designer fashion stores and a multiplex cinema.
- Cepelia Outlets – This is where authentic Polish handicrafts can be found.
Gay & Lesbian Warsaw
- Le Garage – A Warsaw club renowned for its friendly ambiance and clientele.
- Toro – Another popular Warsaw gay bars that hosts disco parties and shows.
- Fantom Club – A club and sauna that welcomes only men, home to dark rooms and themed parties on weekends.
- Galeria – This little bar regularly hosts drag queen shows.
- Lodi Dodi – A small bar in the city centre, it is home to a cinema and darkroom.
- Lazienki Park – This large park located within the Old Town is home to a grand palace and an amphitheatre.
- Botanical Gardens – These botanical gardens lie amidst Warsaw’s busy city centre.
- Agrykola Park – Located close to Warsaw city centre, the park offers a relaxed atmosphere and is one of the greatest places in the city in which to enjoy a picnic.
- Morskie Oko Park – This park is centred around a huge lake.
- Pole Mokotowskie Park (Warsaw Central Park) – This park plays host to a range of recreational activities, including jogging and cycling.
- Catch the Legia Warszawa play football at the Polish Army Stadium.
- Watch Polonia Warszawa, Warsaw’s other football team, play at their home venue.
- Enjoy American football courtesy of the Warsaw Eagles.
- Take pleasure in the skills of the talented ice skaters at the indoor skating rink at the Hala Torwar.
- Visit the Wodny Park Warszawianka swimming centre to watch the region’s best swimmers train.
- Palace of Culture and Science
- Ostrogski Castle
- Warsaw Uprising Museum
- Zachęta National Gallery of Art
- Historic Centre of Warsaw
- Warsaw Film Festival
- Warsaw Autumn
- Polish National Opera
- Festival of Old Music
- International Street Arts Festival
- Banja Luka
- Dom Polski
- Smaki Warszawy
- Qchnia Artystyczna
- Platinum Club
- The Cologne
- Bar Below
- Ice Bar
Warsaw enjoys a humid continental climate with four distinct seasons.
- Winter (December to February) -4-2°C
- Spring (March to May) -1-18°C
- Summer (June to August) 11-22°C
- Fall (September to November) 1-17°C
Explore Warsaw by location
See other Warsaw hotels
47 hotels in Warsaw
The five-star Radisson Blu Centrum Hotel, Warsaw is ideally located in the heart of Warsaw, steps away from Palace of Culture and Science, historic Old Town and the Royal Castle, just 8,8 km away... More
Mercure Warszawa Grand Hotel is four-star hotel with a multilingual staff situated in the city centre and surrounded by major offices such as ministries and embassies. Warsaw offers major... More
Being an ideal place in the city of Warsaw, Hotel Novotel Warszawa Centrum Warsaw offers a warm welcome, pleasant ambience and convenient facilities to make your stay a memorable one. GeneralHotel... More
Offering comfortable accommodation and excellent facilities, the Mamaison Hotel Le Regina Warsaw is a beautiful destination to combine relaxation with culture. GeneralThe hotel provides modern... More
Rialto Hotel Warsaw is a luxury property fusing elegant Art Deco architecture with modern amenities set within easy access to the airport and top tourist destinations in the vibrant Poland capital.... More
The property with its comfortable accommodation and convenient facilities is an ideal base for experiencing an exciting vacation in the city of Warsaw. GeneralThe hotel offers 12 function rooms,... More
H15 Boutique is the one of the most luxury places to stay in Warsaw. It has been opened in XIX century building - the former seat of Soviet Embassy. Staying at H15 ask to see the historical hall... More
Krakowskie Przedmiescie 42/44 Map
Situated on Warsaws fashionable “Royal Route,” the road that leads through the historical area of the city, Hotel Bristol overlooks the Presidential Palace and neighbours some of the capital citys... More
Discerning travellers can find ideal base in Warsaw Marriott Hotel, featuring sophisticated spaces and contemporary facilities set in the heart of the capital of Poland. From this Warsaw city... More