The most historic city in the Philippines and aside from Metropolitan Manila, the most important in population terms, is a joy to discover. The city and province of Cebu is a superb destination in the archipelago republic of 90 million people, with a proud heritage and culture and many fine points of interest. It should not come as a surprise then, that a myriad of flights come and go at Cebu, with visitors itching to explore this delightful island capital. With well over 2 million people in Metro Cebu, the city accounts for 60% of the province's population.
While Cebu's native roots trace back thousands of years, it's a notable fact that Ferdinand Magellan set foot in what is now the city proper in 1521. Magellan's Cross is now the most significant landmark in the city today and can be found in a chapel next to the 16th century Basilica of Santo Niño. Cebu, both province and city, celebrates many important religious holidays with colorful festivals and processions. The most famous is the Sinulog Festival, held every January.
Cebu City History
- Magellan Cross – Found in the centre of the city under an old stone dome to protect it from the elements.
- Fort San Pedro – This historic place was built by the Spaniards and has survived until today, including a museum with insight into the days of old, a park and a view of the incoming ships.
- Taoist Temple – This site overlooks Cebu City and beyond and is home to the teachings of the philosopher Lao-Tse.
- Heritage of Cebu Monument – Found in Plaza Parain, it showcases many events from the history of Cebu.
- Colon Street – Built by the Spanish and named after Christopher Columbus, this street is now located in centre of Cebu and is part of the bright nightlife with theatres, restaurants, stores and more.
Cebu City Art & Culture
- Sinulog – A weeklong celebration starting on the third Sunday in January with much street activity, dancing and a long parade.
- Julian Jumalon’s Butterfly Sanctuary and Art Gallery –This is the oldest butterfly collection in the country and home to the Lepido Mosaic Art Collection.
- Provincial Capital – A beautiful sight in Cebu City, especially by night, designed as a small-scale version of the White House.
- Heritage of Cebu – A large monument detailing the history of Cebu from the days of the Spanish through the American colonial time period.
- Rose Ong Orchid Collection – This beautiful, unique collection of orchids is the largest in the area.
Cebu City Shopping
- SM City Cebu – The biggest mall in the city of Cebu City with a four-level shopping area.
- Ayala Centre – A high-class shopping centre under a six-story domed building.
- St Patrick’s Square – An outdoor shopping mall that includes a number of great bakeries and cafes.
- Habagat – The best place to go if you are in the market for outdoor or sports supplies.
- Carbon Market – A local market where visitors can find all kinds of fresh fruits and vegetables, clothing and household items.
Cebu City Gay & Lesbian
- The Host 78 – A great place to go for an evening of enjoyment.
- Tarzan Boy – An evening bar in Cebu City with male dancers.
- Naughty Ka Restobar – A night restaurant and bar that promises a fun evening.
- Milkman Hostobar – A small place with a wonderful, friendly atmosphere.
- The Navigator – A macho dancing bar with good-looking dancers.
Cebu City Outdoor
- Kawasan Falls – An incredible 15-minute walk along the river will take you to the falls with fresh water and lush, green fauna.
- Crocolandia – This makes for a unique visit, with an assortment of crocodiles, snakes, deer and birds.
- Carlock Street – The place to go in Cebu City for taking a horse-drawn carriage ride.
- Marcelo Fernan Bridge or Second Mactan Bridge – A beautiful place for lovely views of the city at night.
- Mountain View Natures Park – Offers swimming and a serene area to enjoy nature and wildlife.
Cebu City Sport
- For great biking outings, try Tops at the top of Mount Busay with a magnificent view of the whole Cebu City.
- The Cebu City Sports hosts city Olympics for schools and universities with 22 sporting events.
- Adventure lovers will get a thrill out of Xtreme Rides, which takes them to the top floor of the tallest building in town for a chance to enjoy the view and walk around the building's edge.
- To catch mountain biking and horse racing, check out the Cebu City Mountain Festival.
- For an island adventure that includes snorkelling and diving, take a trip to Olango.
- Basilica Minore del Santo Niño
- Fort San Pedro
- Lapu Lapu Shrine
- Taoist Temple
- Magellan's Cross
- Mantawi Festival
- Sinulog Festival
- Semana Santa
- Virgin of the Rule Fiesta
- Pier One
- Lemon Grass
- Krua Thai
- Spice Fusion
- El Gecko
- Sun City
Cebu has a tropical monsoon climate, with heavy rain from May to November and average temperatures between 22°C and 33°C.Cebu official guide
1 Salinas Drive, Lahug Map
Book 30 Days In Advance & Save 25%
At the centre of the Queen City of the South is Waterfront Cebu City Hotel & Casino, one of the Philippines' famous landmarks that offers a warm welcome, pleasant ambience and convenient facilities... More
A luxurius hotel. Family hotel.
1 Airport Road Map
Book 10 Days In Advance & Save 20%
Featuring an elegant decor and a warm hospitality, Waterfront Airport Hotel & Casino Lapu Lapu City welcomes you for an unforgettable vacation. GeneralThe conference centre consists of 6 function... More
Close to Mactan International Airport
Majestically positioned 600 feet above the sea level and surrounded by 7.5 hectares of lush greenery, the Marco Polo Plaza is a luxurious oasis high above the natural splendour of Cebu City that... More
Exploring the heritage-rich and vibrant Cebu City can be convenient by booking a stay at Mandarin Plaza Hotel. This contemporary urban base is set in the heart of the city close to major local... More
Punta Engano, Mactan Island Map
Rate Includes Breakfast
Set on its own private beach in Mactan Island, Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu is an ideal resort for beach lovers since it is surrounded by pristine white beaches. Activities are plentiful... More
Great Customer Service from this Hotel !
Archbishop Reyes Avenue, Cebu City Map
Book Now & Save 78%
Featuring comfortable accommodations accentuated by contemporary furnishings without the hefty price tag, Quest Hotel & Conference Center - Cebu creates an ideal retreat for events attendees and... More
latest trip May 1-6
Tower 1 Fuente Towers Map
Stay Min 3 Nights & Save 5%
Cutting the skyline at a majestic 38 storeys, and commanding a splendid view of uptown Cebu City, the Crown Regency Hotel & Towers Cebu City where service is beyond reproach and the warmth of... More
Okay for the money
Archbishop Reyes Avenue & Escario Street Map
Incl Mini Bar, Executive Lounge Access Plus More
Cebu Parklane International Hotel greets business and leisure travellers with traditional Cebuano hospitality and cosy accommodations set in a convenient city centre location. While on a Cebu... More
Buyong, Mactan Cebu 6015 Map
Book 45 Days In Advance & Save 20%
Vacationers looking for a beachfront getaway in the Philippine island of Mactan find idyllic base at Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel Cebu. This tropical resort in Cebu places guests only steps away... More
A great getaway
Located in an upscale financial district with shopping, recreation and leisure activities at the doorstep, the Marriott Hotel Cebu City offers an incredible location for business or leisure... More
Refine your search
- Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral hotels
- Santo Nino Basilica hotels
- Magellan's Cross hotels
- Cebu City Hall hotels
- Fort San Pedro hotels
- Chu Un Temple hotels
- Nichols Park hotels
- Pacific Square Building hotels
- East Aurora Tower hotels
- Couples for Christ Provincial Mission Center hotels
- TGU Tower hotels
- Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ hotels