On the surface Batangas is an unassuming Filipino city. But you don’t have to scratch very far to reveal that being in Batangas puts you smack bang in the middle of paradise, where beautiful beaches give way to a rich colonial past full of historical gems.
In Batangas, you could spend all your time lazing on the beach or soaking up the very-much-unchanged Spanish colonial architecture around town. But for serious bragging rights, take a trip to the famous Taal Volcano. This volcano within a lake within a larger volcano remains active – and truly spectacular. Around it, Taal Lake is almost ridiculously idyllic, while for more natural beauty you can take a boat out for the day and let the ocean breeze take you to Isla Verde. Batangas will inspire even as it soothes. Who could ask for anything more?
Batanga's Top 10
10. Tingga Falls Wash your worries away in the pool below this nine-metre (30-foot) waterfall.
5. Church of Our Lady of Caysasay Home to cultural relics from the Spanish colonial period.
9. Lago de Oro Spend the day in the sun and hire a jet ski in the afternoon to get your heart racing.
4. Anilao-Mabini Learn how to dive in the pristine ocean off the Batangas coast.
8. Calatagan Delve into history at the abundance of archaeological digs around the area.
3. Marcela Mariño Agoncillo Museum This house once belonged to the distinguished Taaleña woman who sewed the first Philippine flag.
7. Submarine Garden Come early in the morning when the water is clearest to see the beautiful coral near the shore.
2. Mount Maculot A favourite for trekkers – and of the Japanese during WWII. Many war tunnels are still in existence!
6. Plaza Mabini Built in the 1960s, this won the park equivalent of Miss Universe (only it’s rather smarter than your average beauty contestant).
1. Basilica of San Martin de Tours Built in the 16th century, and despite twice being destroyed by both a volcano and an earthquake, this trooper of a church is one of the largest in East Asia.
Batangas City History
- Casa de Segunda Katigbak – One of the heritage houses in Batangas.
- Mabini Shrine – The mementos and writings of the “Sublime Paralytic” Apolinario Mabini are displayed here.
- General Malvar Museum and Library – The museum commemorates the valour of the last Filipino general to surrender to the Americans.
- Batangas City Basilica of the Immaculate Conception and Infant Jesus – This monumental structure was able to withstand the test of time.
- Marcela N. Agoncillo National Historical Landmark – Learn more about the creator of the first Filipino flag.
Batangas City Art & Culture
- Jose P. Laurel Memorial Library – The president of the puppet republic donated its property to the government.
- Escuela Pia – One of Batangas’ architectural wonders, an educational institution during the colonial period.
- Church of Our Lady of Caysasay – It houses some of the relics and heirlooms from the Spanish period. It is also a magnificent site.
- Church of San Juan – Its intriguing interiors makes it distinct.
- Museo ng Batangas at Aklatang Panlalawigan – The structure is responsible for keeping the cultural wealth and traditions of Batangas.
Batangas City Shopping
- SM City Batangas City – True to its tagline, it really has it all for you in Batangas City.
- Saplot Batangenyo – Snag yourself a dandy novelty shirt.
- Robinson’s Mall – Enjoy a day of browsing.
- Souvenir Stores – Scattered along the city, you can get nifty items that are truly Batangueno, such as balisongs and baskets.
- Elsa’s Sweet Candies – This store isn’t just for those who have a sweet tooth.
Gay & Lesbian Batangas City
- Lambanog – Drinking spree with local coconut wine or coconut vodka.
- Euphoria Bar and Resto – Discover a metro-style night out here.
- Alexi’s Bar and Resto - Enjoy the hottest live music and entertainment in Batangas City.
- Hecky’s bar and Grill – For a different kind of night out, head to this place.
- Ledge Bar – Dine and enjoy their sumptuous food. Party all night afterward with the loud music.
Batangas City Outdoor
- Submarine Garden – A peculiar yet breathtaking garden of living corals.
- Hugon Beach – Stroll along its pristine shores as you watch the sunset.
- Ilijan Falls – Seeing the alluring falls drop down across the rocks is truly a wonderful moment.
- Mt Maculot – The majestic mountain is the highest peak in Batangas; it is also the home of tunnels made by Japanese soldiers.
- Tiangga Falls – The 30-feet-high pool is definitely a beguiling scene.
Batangas City Sport
- Brace yourself for one of the world’s most diverse marine lives as you dive along Balayan Bay.
- Explore the rugged terrain as you cycle along the Batangas mountains.
- Swim by the warm tropic beaches of Almalin Beach Resort and score a gorgeous tan.
- Snorkel along Ligpo Island and take a glimpse of one of nature’s best-kept secrets.
- Hit a few balls along one of the country’s best golf courses, the Evercrest Golf Club Resort.
So you think you can street dance? See how it’s done at the annual Walistik Festival in January.
Crack an egg into the famous sinuam soup and dance the night away at the Sinuam Festival in April.
Get drenched to the bone and eat to your heart’s (or belt’s) content at the massive Parada ng Lechon each June.
Feel the camaraderie at a celebration that encompasses the cultural oneness of the Batangueño at the annual Sublian Festival in July.
Bust out your finest pair of chaps for the Wild West wonderland that is the Kabakahan Festival in December.
When To Go
July is the wettest month, and should be avoided if you’re looking to soak up the sun.
Between November and April you will have the driest weather – perfect for exploring the beautiful Batangas wildlife.
If you love a scorcher, and want to spend most of your time in the water, May is the month!
To get around town, Jeepneys are an effective and inexpensive travel option.
For the more adventurous, hop on the back of a tricycle and hold on tight!
Most of the beautiful natural scenery can be found on the coast and is a pleasant walk.
Your hotel booking club!
Hear about our best travel deals first when you sign up for our emails!
Barrio Bagalangit Anilao Mabini Map
Book Now & Save 15%
Eagle Point Beach and Dive Resort is a tranquil retreat for holidaymakers looking for various accommodation options located in front of the beach in Anilao, Batangas. Aside from sightseeing around... More
great dive venue
Set in a serene environment surrounded by trees, The Farm At San Benito Resort Batangas is an eco-friendly luxury sanctuary for travellers wanting to experience elegance and comfort in Batangas.... More
Infinity Resort offers luxurious accommodations for the discerning tourists. Ideal for quality family outings and honeymoon destination, this resort is suited on a 2- hectare property with 6... More
2107 Prime Street Madrigal Business Park Ayala Map
Includes FREE Internet Access In Room
The B Hotel Alabang invites corporate travellers and tourists to value-for-money spaces conveniently situated in the industrial hub of Madrigal Business Park. While in Alabang, holidaymakers can... More
5309 East Asia Drive Filinvest Corporate City Map
Book 21 Days In Advance & Save
Situated in the business district of southern Metro Manila, Parque Espana Residence Hotel Manila makes for a convenient base for travellers in the capital city of the Philippines. Tourists can... More
A Value Stay
With chic accommodations set in an upscale business park, Azumi Boutique Hotel makes for an ideal base for corporate and leisure travelers in this Philippines city. Visitors at this Muntinlupa City... More
Great value. Clean. Cozy.
From its founding in 1939, Taal Vista Hotel located in Tagaytay City has been the preeminent vantage point of choice to enjoy the stunning view of the majestic Taal Volcanoworld-famous for its... More
Estancia Resort Hotel Tagaytayis a luxurious hotel offering quality services to guarantee the most pleasant stay. The hotel's interior is tastefully designed combining Asian and Neo-Italian style.... More