One of the highlights in New Zealand’s beautiful – and aptly named – Bay of Plenty region, Tauranga has been transformed from a sleepy town into a seaside adventure centre with stacks to keep you occupied.
Start your Tauranga experience with a ride on a giant, kiwi-shaped Ferris wheel at Kiwi 360, a mammoth theme park with a focus on the awesomeness of kiwi fruit! Then once you’ve had your fruity fill, hit up the Mount Maunganui Hot Salt Water Pools. Sitting at the base of Mount Maunganui, these heated pools have pretty much the best view in the Tauranga region, so lie back, relax and soak in that fresh mountain air. And speaking of epic views and fresh air, make sure to hit the Orokawa Bay Scenic Reserve Track for stunning beach views and sweet little picnic spots.
Tauranga's Top 10
10. Pilot Bay This sheltered bay is perfect for a quick dip and sandy picnic. Try your hand at kayaking while you’re there.
5. Motiti Island Keen for some dolphin sightings? This is one of the best places to spot the noisy cuties.
9. Spring Loaded Fun Park Jump on a high-speed jet boat or a big ol’ 4WD for some hardcore fun.
4. Memorial Park More than just a big, green splotch, this place has mini-golf and a model railway to keep you entertained.
8. The Elms This mission house has roots back in the 1800s and is the perfect way to stock up on some Taurangan history.
3. Mills Reef Winery This art deco-style winery produces some of the best drops in town. Go for a tasting sesh and a meal at the award-winning restaurant.
7. The Blowhole The #1 surf spot in NZ. Big, rolling waves under the big, hot sun.
2. Downtown the Mount Strange name, good shopping. This right-by-the-beach shopping strip is filled with boutiques and bustling cafés.
6. Katikati Also known as ‘Mural Town’, this place is perfect for unique shopping spots, bohemian-style bars and plenty of cool murals to snap.
1. Main Beach It’s like the best of Cali in the heart of NZ! Everyone flocks to this beach in the summertime, so expect big crowds and plenty of fun.
There are planes, skydivers, fireworks and a whole heap of general rowdiness at the Tauranga City Air Show, every January.
March’s New Zealand Ocean Swim is a massive swimming event for peeps of all ages and abilities.
The Real Tauranga Festival celebrates the best that the city has to offer, with a huge program of entertainment held over three massive weeks in September/October.
Get in touch with your arty side at the Tauranga Arts Festival every October.
When To Go
- Tauranga enjoys a warm, subtropical climate. Lucky ducks! Enjoy balmy 25°C (77°F) summer days and mild 14°C (57°F) winter nights.
- You won’t find snow during the winter, but you will find a heck of a lot of rain! June and July get the most of it
Visit our partner pageTauranga hotels by Hotel.com.au
Tauranga, New Zealand
Tauranga is found in the Bay of Plenty region of the North Island of New Zealand. Here, travellers will discover a city to remember overflowing with parks, a lively waterfront area and a vibrant city centre. From the harbour to the hills, this vacation will not disappoint with its many attractions and activities.
- Tauranga Art Gallery
- Mount Maunganui
- Baypark Stadium
- Visit the McLaren Falls Park
- Shop at Bayfair Mall
- Stroll down Tauranga Harbour
Due to its protected position on the east coast of the North Island, Tauranga has a subtropical climate. With the entire year featuring comfortable temperatures, visitors can come any time they like. Average daily temperatures range from 59°F (15°C) in June to 75°F (24°C) in January. Average annual rainfall measures in at 47 inches (1,193 mm).
Getting There & Around
The Tauranga Airport provides daily domestic flights to many destinations in Australia, including Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch. Upon arriving on the North Island, numerous bus services such as the Naked Bus, InterCity Coachlines and the Bay Hopper Bus get tourists to their accommodations..
The Naked Bus offers daily departures from Tauranga to several North Island locations such as Waitomo Caves. The InterCity Coachlines stop downtown from areas all over New Zealand. The Bay Hopper Bus, however, is the main bus that serves visitors who want to explore the city.
More Info On Getting Around
Your best bet is the bright-yellow Bay Hopper buses. They’ll get you from central Tauranga to most of the hot spots around town. Fares range from $2.50 to $3.50.
· Renting a car is another good idea. Companies such as Rent-a-Dent and Rite Price Rentals have decent cars for decent prices.
· If you want to get home after a big night out on the town, cabs are the way to go. Can’t find one on the streets? Call (07) 577 0999 (CitiCabs) to order one.
Offering chic accommodations and picturesque views of the area, Trinity Wharf Tauranga makes for an ideal retreat while visiting Tauranga. During leisure, tourists at this waterfront hotel can... More
Work trip made great
Whether travelling for business or leisure purpose, Hotel Armitage Tauranga provides friendly service and comfortable accommodations to make the guests' stay a memorable one. Guests can explore... More
Seascape Villa B&B Tauranga is a luxurious bed and breakfast property that offers tranquil accommodations that connect the sea and the heart of the city for holidaymakers visiting Tauranga. While... More
FANTASTIC HOSTS, FANTASTIC PLACE
Offering a favourable location and relaxing atmosphere, the Durham Motor Inn an attractive property is the right choice of accommodation, while visiting Tauranga. GeneralThis property also... More
Conveniently located and great value
Boasting a perfect fusion of style and comfort, the Hotel on Devonport Tauranga is an ideal place for both business as well as leisure travellers alike. GeneralThe property offers you a... More
Bay Palm Motel Mount Maunganui is a contemporary hotel situated just 150 metres away from the beach. This property is a perfect choice for business as well as leisure travellers. The famous Bay... More
Experienced traveler very disappointed
Mediterranean Resort Tauranga offers quality accommodation and convenient facilities for a relaxing stay. Some of the city attractions include Monmouth Redoubt, Mount Maunganui, Otemate Pa,... More
Bethlehem Motor Inn invites travellers to well-appointed accommodations while in Tauranga, New Zealand for business or recreation. Visitors should not miss seeing the vintage aircrafts at Classic... More
Quiet Sanctuary away from the Competition
Beautiful beaches, harbours and world class vistas help to make the Bay of Plenty a natures playground. Whether youre after adventure, beach lifestyle, or a bit of indulgence, the Bay of Plenty has... More