Palmerston North hotels
What travelers to Palmerston North are saying
Perky Palmerston North
Generally in university cities, there is a ‘war’ being waged between the locals (or townies) and the students. Since New Zealand’s biggest uni, Massey University, is situated in Palmerston North, you would be forgiven for thinking the battle may loom large in this North Island town. But you would be wrong.
This friendly city on the banks of the Manawatu River and the base of the striking Tararua Mountain Range welcomes everyone – except John Cleese. Palmerston North and John Cleese didn’t really see eye-to-eye after a comedic dig the former Python made after playing there, and – long story short – now there is a rubbish dump named after him in the city, which is rapidly turning into one of the world’s stranger tourist attractions. But, for anyone who isn’t John Cleese, you’ll have a ball!
PALMERSTON NORTH’S TOP 10
10. Tararua Wind Farm A short drive from the city is one of the largest wind farms in the Southern Hemisphere, which not only reinforces NZ’s clean, green credentials, but is hypnotically beautiful.
5. The Square The centre of town offers lawns, trees, fountains, lakes and a clock tower – the perfect place to have lunch and watch the local talent saunter by.
9. The Plaza The largest shopping centre in the region. Shop till you drop and then shop some more.
4. Hospital Medical Museum This collection of historic medical equipment will have you wondering if they wanted to fix people or torture them!
8. Regent on Broadway Catch a show in this refurbished beauty.
3. Victoria Esplanade An award-winning rose garden, a scenic railway, a conservatory and an orienteering course make it difficult to be bored in this riverbank park.
7. Manawatu Gorge Walk through the wildlife and experience the sort of nature only New Zealand can offer.
2. New Zealand Rugby Museum Hard as it is to admit, you have to respect the history of this mighty rugby nation.
6. The Gables These classic cars are ‘protected’ by a moat, and anything with a moat is awesome in our book.
1. Te Manawa A museum, art gallery and science centre; so squeeze in and get amongst it.
PALMERSTON NORTH EVENTS
Do you have a poem bouncing around in your head? Throw caution to the wind and share it on National Poetry Day in July, or just sit back and listen to other people’s offerings.
Bring your wheels – your bike, not your car – in August for the Festival of Cycling.
In September, enjoy some local music with established and up-and-coming bands playing the annual SwampFest.
The Our People Our Place festival in September and October is a great chance to experience everything unique about the region.
In December, the Jenny Mair Highland Square Day will transport you to Scotland, with many Highland events and activities.
WHEN TO GO
· Sunny is the name of the weather here, as Palmerston North generally experiences over 2,000 hours of the shiny stuff each year.
· Summer temperatures average a pleasant 23ºC, which will keep you warm enough while you explore the region.
· In winter, it can get chilly and normally sunny Palmerston North experiences the most rain at this time.
· Most places are easily reachable by foot, so get walking.
· You could also rent a mountain bike to explore the city and the surrounding areas.
· Alternatively, there is a bus network to move you throughout the city.
Offering warm welcome and high standards of accommodation, this modern style property is an ideal place for a comfortable stay. GeneralThe Camelot Motor Lodge Palmerston North offers a superior... More
Very good overnight
Rose City Motel Palmerston North is ideal for business as well as leisure travellers. Guests can experience comfortable accommodation and quality stay in this hotel. Friendly reception staff at... More
Modern, comfortable, friendly
Copthorne Hotel Palmerston North offers contemporary accommodations in a central location ideal for business and leisure travellers in Palmerston North. After attending to business matters,... More
good for business trip
175-185 Cuba Street Map
To experience an exquisite blend of luxurious accommodation and comfort in a pleasing ambience, choose to stay at the Distinction Palmerston North Hotel & Conference Centre - formerly Travelodge.... More
Good option for families
To experience the splendour and elegance of perfect accommodation, the Comfort Inn Kauri Court Palmerston North is the ideal place for you to reside. GeneralThis exclusive property offers a well... More
Assuring comfortable accommodation and quality amenities, Hotel Coachman Palmerston North welcomes guests for an unforgettable holiday in New Zealand. Monro Hill, New Zealand Rugby Museum, Square... More
1-17 Fitzherbert Avenue Corner Of The Square & Fitzherbert Avenue Map
Wonderfully situated in the heart of the CBD, the Quest Palmerston North Apartment is placed on the doorstep of the city's cultural and entertainment centre making it an ideal venue for a perfect... More
Suitable for business and leisure travellers, Econo Lodge The Villas Palmerston North provides spacious and comfortable accommodations in this part of New Zealand. This Palmerston North lodge is... More
The Empire Hotel Palmerston North is ideal for business as well as leisure travellers. Guests can experience comfortable accommodation and quality stay in this hotel. Friendly reception staff at... More
Offering comfortable spaces and convenient facilities strategically located close to the airport, AB Studio makes for a suitable base for travellers on a short- or long-term stay in this side of... More