Franz Josef hotels
Unforgettable Franz Josef Glacier
This magnificent slice of ice was discovered by an Austrian dude way back in the 19th century (hence the fruity/not-very-Kiwi-sounding name) and has managed to attract tourists to NZ’s South Island ever since.
Once you’ve explored Franz Josef and the nearby Fox Glacier, it’s time to give the surrounds a bit of a whirl. For the oldies, kiddies and not-so-fit, the easy-peasy Minnehaha Walk is the best way to explore the rainforest for a good 20 minutes. For the ultra-fit, the Mount Fox Track will take about eight hours from your day, but will be absolutely worth it. Don’t forget to take some time to go on the White Heron Sanctuary Tour to spot everything from the White Heron/Kotuku to the Little Black Shag/Kawapaka. (Feel free to giggle at the name. Everyone else does…)
Franz Josef Glacier's Top 10
10. The Chalet Lookout One of the best lookouts in the area is also home to a bunch of native birds, including the cute fantail and tomtit (insert more immature laughter here).
5. Sky High Hovering above the ground in a chopper is the perfect way to get the full scope of this magnificent slither of nature.
9. West Coast Wildlife Centre Watch the rare Rowi Kiwis go about their daily biz before you hit up the café and gift shop.
4. Whataroa River This gushing river was just made for a wild, white-water rafting session. Hold on tight, kids!
8. Whataroa Valley Learn about the gold-panning process before you try your luck at finding some shiny stuff.
3. Fox Glacier Right alongside the main glacier is this just-as-awesome one. Take a self-guided tour to really explore it.
7. Roberts Point Track This walking trail takes you through lush forest and rocky areas and has a historical theme.
2. Glacier Hot Pools What better way to follow up an icy-cold adventure than with a soak in a steaming-hot pool. Lush!
6. Lake Mapourika Whether you want a spot of fishing, a chilled cruise or just a pretty piece of water to look at, this is a great place to hit.
1. Ice climbing For those of you who want a real challenge, this is one of the best ways to explore the glacier. Grab your ice axes and go!
Franz Josef Glacier Events
Celebrate the not-so-toasty summertime with the Hokitika Summer Fair in February.
Hokitika gets its buzz on with the annual Hokitika Wildfoods Festival in March. While munching on big fat Huhu Grubs is the main attraction (!), there’s also a bunch of other stuff to entertain the masses.
September/October welcomes a unique film event, New Zealand on Screen.
When To Go
Franz Josef stays pretty cool throughout the year but gets exceptionally frosty in winter. Expect the warmer months to hit max temps of 20°C (68°F) and the mercury to dip as low as -4°C (25°F) in July.
If you want throngs of other tourists to mingle with, visit Franz Josef Glacier between October and April.
Exploring the glacier’s valley and surrounding area is best done on foot. Make sure to don some super-sturdy footwear and thick clothing to shield yourself from the chill. Franz Josef Glacier Guides provides great guides and tours.
You can also explore from up high in a helicopter or small plane. There are dozens of companies that provide flight-seeing, including Air Safaris. Fees vary.
To explore further out around Greymouth and Hokitika, catch a Naked Bus. (No, the drivers aren’t in the buff. Sorry! We were disappointed, too…)
Featuring sleek accommodations and contemporary facilities, Franz Josef Oasis makes for a suitable base for travellers looking for a vibrant holiday in this side of New Zealand. While in Franz... More
Beautiful n clean
Set in the scenic alpine location, Scenic Hotel Franz Josef Glacier provides tasteful accommodations and friendly hospitality for a relaxing holiday in Franz Josef Glacier. Tourists can enjoy their... More
Perfect mountain getaway
Offering comfortable accommodation and quality services, 58 On Cron Motel Franz Josef is the perfect base for guests to reside whether they are for business or pleasure. This property is just a... More
Fantastic place to stay in Franz Josef
Terrace Motel Franz Josef is a great holiday destination and also ideal for business trips. This motel is a perfect base to enjoy the beautiful rainforest and glacial region. This property is... More
Bruce & Sue Millin, your hosts at Glacier View Motel Franz Josef, invite you to stay at one of our well-appointed units in a park-like setting with spectacular views of the rainforest, glacier... More
Good Old Fashioned Hospitality
The perfect Franz Josef Glacier Holiday Accommodation. The 10 Cottages, Franz Josef, offers hotel style studio Cottages and 2 bedroom houses ideal for your visit to Franz Josef Glacier, New... More
Chateau Franz welcomes travellers to comfortably appointed and affordable accommodations set amidst rainforest with views of glaciers in this side of New Zealand. Holidaymakers staying at this... More
Backpackers and tourists looking for comfortable lodgings while visiting the glacier at Franz Josef find suitable retreat at Glow Worm Cottages. Holidaymakers at this budget-friendly New Zealand... More
Te Waonui Forest Retreat Hotel Franz Josef offers quality accommodation and friendly service and loads with memories that guests can treasure for life. This property is just minutes away from many... More
Heartland Hotel Fox Glacier is an ideal place for a pleasant and comfortable stay. This property is the perfect base to discover the surrounding areas. Situated in the base of the splendid Southern... More
Good customer service