Cool Coromandel Peninsula
The Coromandel Peninsula is an area of unmatched natural beauty to the north of Auckland. Although it’s made up of 15 regions, we’re going to keep things short and sweet and focus on our five Coromandel Peninsula favourites.
Start at Hauraki Plains to visit the amazing Miranda Foreshore and its many hot springs. Next, stop at Thames for the historic main street filled with boutiques and a stack of museums. Mercury Bay is the place for beach bliss – with both Wharekaho and Haheibeaches within its borders, you’re bound to get a tan in no time. After that, hit Whangamata for a hike through the amazing Wentworth Valley and a surf at the wave-wonderland of Opoutere. To wrap things up, head to Waihi for the natural hot springs of Athenree and the historic goldmining community of Waikino. Phew!
COROMANDEL PENINSULA’S TOP 10
10. Mercury Bay Museum A treasure trove of old stuff will take you through Coromandel Peninsula’s history.
5. The Pinnacles This historic walk in the Kaueranga Valley is pretty special. Follow the trail built for loggers and gold miners in the early 20th century.
9. The Lost Spring The ultimate spring and spa day! Lounge by the waterfalls and soak in the hot springs before getting a massage.
4. Karangahake Gorge Explore the glistening lakes, hidden caves and old goldmining tunnels.
8. Coromandel Food Trail Visit Coromandel’s best eateries along this trail of top-notch food. Salt Bar and Restaurant and Koru @ Rapaura are total musts!
3. Hot Water Beach A river of hot water flows underneath the sands, so big pools of bubbling water form at low tide. How cool… um, warm… is that!
7. Waihi Gold Mine Tour Take a tour through one of Waihi’s working mines, learn about the mining process and then try to strike it rich!
2. Te Whanganui a Hei Marine Reserve Go kayaking, hiking, swimming or just tan up while sitting on one of the beaches. Make sure to visit Cathedral Cove, too!
6. New Chums Beach This mammoth stretch of sand is paired with some of the bluest sea in NZ. Whether you make any new friends is entirely up to you…
1. Coromandel Town Take a ride on the Barry Brickell Driving Creek Railway, check out the view from the Eyefull Tower (those witty Kiwis, right?) and pick up some local craft and artwork.
COROMANDEL PENINSULA EVENTS
If you’re around Coromandel in March, check out the Paeroa Wild Food, Wine and Art Festival.
May’s Great Coromandel Arts Tour is a nine-day event showcasing the best art in town.
Up for something fun and active? Head to the Whangamata Run-Walk Festival in September.
Keen on a scallop or 10? Hit the Whitianga Scallop Festival in September for the best scallops in town!
The annual Whangamata Jazz, Art and Blues Festival (November) is a big ol’ celebration of NZ’s top musicians and artists.
WHEN TO GO
- Enjoy warm summer temps of about 25°C (77°F) and mild winter temps of 16°C (61°F).
- The rain isn’t too bad in Coromandel, but to avoid the worst of it, skip a July and August visit.
- If you’re after plenty of crowds, head over in the summer and early spring for the peak tourist season.
- To explore the vast region of the Coromandel Peninsula and all its towns, a car is best.
- Buses/coaches are another option, but they probably won’t take you everywhere you wanna go. Try InterCity for cheap fares and the most comprehensive routes.
- Make like a Kiwi and hire a bike!
Explore Coromandel by location
Hotels in Coromandel by star rating
- 5 star hotels
- 4 star hotels
- 3 star hotels
- 2 star hotels
- 1 star hotels
Cities in New Zealand
6 hotels in Coromandel
Overlooking the unspoiled Coromandel ranges, Coromandel TOP 10 Holiday Park makes for a suitable base for travellers looking for an adventure-filled New Zealand holiday. While in the area,... More
Albert Number 6 Motel Whitianga warmly welcomes holidaymakers and business travellers to its budget-friendly accommodations set close to the Buffalo Beach. From this Whitianga motel, guests can... More
Welcome to Ohuka Place Homestay! Come and share our slice of paradise in the peace and tranquility of Ohuka Place, Whitianga. Our family home is situated high above the township. We have a sunny... More
The Oceanside offers a unique blend of superior beachfront accommodation, genuine traditional hospitality and stunning sea views in Whitianga, the heart of the magical Coromandel Peninsula.With... More
Your luxury holiday destination which reflects the highest standards of design and amenities to suit the most discerning holiday maker. Unique modern designs in holiday accommodation concepts... More