The Hague hotels
What travelers to The Hague are saying
The Hip Hague
Ditch the seediness of Amsterdam and the big-city rush of Rotterdam and come on over to The Hague, one of the coolest places in the Netherlands. Sprinkled with culture and doused in history, this pretty city is for those who want their getaways to have a bit of substance.
Wanna learn some things? Visit the Municipal Museum for a look into The Hague’s history, via art, fashion and music, and the Bredius den Haag Museum for some native 17th-century art. Keen on some awesome architecture? Head to the stunning Noordeinde Palace (one of the Dutch Royal Fam’s HQs) and the hoity-toity suburb of Wassenaar. It’s ‘Den Haag’, dahhling.
The Hague’s Top 10
10. Mauritshuis Art lovers and connoisseurs will wet themselves when they see the stuff in this place.
5. Plein/Square This cosmopolitan spot in the city centre is the place to see and be seen.
9. Gouda Who doesn’t love cheese? Take a bus to this nearby town for mountains of the yellow stuff.
4. Historical Museum of The Hague Delve into every aspect of the city’s past, from art to archaeology.
8. Madurodam This adorable mini-city features the nation’s major attractions in teeny-tiny form.
3. Binnenhof Explore the 13th-century buildings and neo-Gothic statues at this historic cluster.
7. Peace Palace This stunning building is the home to the UN’s International Court of Justice. Take a guided tour for some interesting titbits.
2. Noordeinde Palace One of the four palaces owned by the Dutch Royal Family. You can’t go inside, but you can explore the gardens and admire from afar.
6. Park Clingendael A big ol’ park filled with green. Don’t forget to check out the oldest Japanese Garden in Europe.
1. Scheveningen Beach Floods with people in the summer. Chill by the sea and have fish ’n’ chips, Dutch-style!
The Hague/Scheveningen History
- Madurodam – A whimsical way of learning how a city changes with time by looking at miniatures.
- Peace Palace (Vredespaleis) – The home of the International Court of Justice; you can go inside if you book in advance.
- Museum de Gevangenpoort (The Prison Gate Museum) — Walk the halls of this medieval prison.
- Binnenhof & Ridderzaal (Inner Court and Hall of the Knights) – This is the home of the parliament but also a trip back in time.
- International Criminal Court—You may be able to sit in while court is in session or take in a briefing.
The Hague/Scheveningen Art & Culture
- Mauritshuis Museum—The museum is known for its collection of Dutch masters, including Rembrandt and Vermeer.
- Escher in Het Palais (Escher in the Palace) – This museum is completely dedicated to the works of M C Escher.
- Mesdag Panorama – A cylindrical painting of an old fishing village done on an enormous scale.
- Gemeentemuseum Den Hague – This museum holds many collections of some of the most famous artists, including Mondrian and Matisse.
- Lucent Danstheater – Be sure to see a performance during your visit to this dance theatre.
The Hague/Scheveningen Shopping
- Van Kleef and Zoon – A brewery where the service is part of the attraction.
- Haagse Bluf – The home of the studios of the DHFM radio station.
- The Haagse Markt (The Turkish Market) – This is the largest open-air market in Western Europe.
- The Globe Outdoor and Travel Centre – An affordable shopping centre that also features outdoor activities.
- In de Bogaard – If you love books and music, then you will want to shop here.
Gay & Lesbian The Hague/Scheveningen
- Cafe de Landman – The Hague's oldest gay and lesbian bar.
- Hotel Des Indes—A luxury, gay-friendly hotel.
- Basta Café – Also the meeting place for the local gay rights organisation, the COC.
- Cafe de Link – If the Cafe de Landman is the oldest gay bar, this is the oldest gay cafe. Stairs – A small club where you can get a drink or dance in the disco.
The Hague/Scheveningen Outdoors
- Pier and Promenade—Spend a quiet afternoon wandering the pier.
- Clingendael Park-Japanese Garden – A lovely park with delightful gardens.
- Duindorp – A beach you can reach by tram.
- Scheveningse Bosjes – A forest and park with trails for biking and hiking.
- The Ooievaart – One of the few canals in The Hague; tours are available.
The Hague/Scheveningen City Sport
- Swimming is an extremely popular sport here.
- Yachting is also a great thing to do or to watch while you are in the Hague.
- Surfing is not the first thing you would think of in Holland, but the Aloha Surf School will teach you otherwise.
- Skating is popular both in the winter and year round in an indoor rink.
- Skiing and snowboarding are the best ways to enjoy the winter snow.
The Hague Events
June’s Parkpop is the biggest pop festival in Europe and brings thousands of people – and teenyboppers – to The Hague. You probably won’t understand a single song, but hey – it’s all in fun.
Head to Scheveningen Beach in July for the dorky but fun International Sand Sculpture Festival. People compete to take home the trophy (which disappointingly isn’t made of sand).
The Scheveningen International Fireworks Festival in August takes fireworks to a whole new level. Who knew it could be classified as a team sport?
Kite enthusiasts flock to Scheveningen Beach for the Scheveningen Kite Festival in September. Everything from teddy bears to fish get airborne.
The Crossing Border Festival in November is a multiple arts event celebrating literature, music, visual arts and performing arts. Rub shoulders with art critics and drink wine with the literati.
When To Go
- The seasons are pretty mild. Expect summer to hit an average of 22°C (72°F) and winter 10°C (50°F)
- If you’re after a rain-free holiday, sorry – The Hague gets the wet stuff on a regular basis. September and November are worst.
- The Hague is a mixed bag when it comes to the weather, so be prepared with a jacket at the height of summer and sunnies in the winter!
If you want to explore The Hague’s city centre, just walk it – it’s pretty compact.
HTM runs the buses and trams. Buy a HTM Day Ticket to get more bang for your euro.
Make like a local and hire a bike. The Hague, like most Dutch cities, is full of bike paths and routes.
Offering a favourable location and relaxing atmosphere, Parkhotel Den Haag is the right choice of accommodation, while visiting Hague. GeneralParkhotel Den Haag features a choice of well-equipped... More
Very good hotel
Lange Voorhout 54-56 Map
Save 25% on your stay
Boasting a tranquil ambience and comfortable accommodation, Hotel Des Indes The Hague is an ideal place for business as well as leisure travellers. GeneralThe hotel also features 10 meeting rooms... More
Centrally located in the heart of the city, Hampshire Hotel - Babylon Den Haag makes for an ideal starting point for travellers visiting The Hague. This contemporary hotel places visitors within... More
Hilton The Hague Hotel is one of the finest hotels in The Hague, Netherlands. Featuring contemporary architectural designs and quality amenities, this property offers maximum comfort with Hilton's... More
Conveniently set in the monumental Haagse Passage shopping arcade, in the very heart of the Hague, the Novotel Hotel Den Haag City Centre featuring an elegant decor and comfortable accommodation... More
Spui 180 Map
Rate includes up to 40% off, Breakfast
The exclusive decor of the property gives it a very pleasant and a relaxed atmosphere, where you are sure to enjoy and remember. GeneralGuests on business can avail the on-site conference... More
Clean, comfortable hotel
Providing well-equipped accommodations located in Den Haag city centre, Novotel Suites Den Haag City Centre makes for an ideal base for travellers looking for a business trip or recreational... More
Set next to the Dutch Parliament, Holiday Inn Express The Hague - Parliament makes for an ideal starting point for travellers seeking to discover this side of Netherlands. This modern hotel at The... More
Whether you come to Hague for business or pleasure, this hotel offers a friendly atmosphere and makes your stay a pleasant one. GeneralThe hotel comprises 7 congress rooms that can accommodate up... More
Refine your search
- Hagan Arena hotels
- Rotterdam central train station hotels
- Frans Hals Museum hotels
- Amsterdam Wood hotels
- Osdorp hotels
- Slotervaart hotels
- VU University Amsterdam hotels
- Olympic Experience hotels
- Olympic Stadium hotels
- Rietveld School of Art & Design hotels
- Electric Tram Line Museum hotels
- World Trade Center hotels