Maastricht, the capital of Limburg, is a historical tourist destination found in the southern Netherlands. The past comes alive here with beautiful architecture, cobblestone streets and welcoming locals. Visitors will find their stay not quite long enough when trying to explore all that this city in Holland has to offer.
- Basilica of Our Beloved Lady – Historically, this basilica served as a stronghold of the city’s defences.
- St John’s Church – This 13th-century church built in gothic style is architecturally significant.
- Basilica of St Servatius – This ancient basilica was named after St Servatius, the first bishop of Maastricht.
- Fort St Peter – Constructed in 1701-02, this fort is based on a pentagonal plinth over Mt St Peter.
- Caves of Mt St Peter – This cave emerged as a result of centuries of clay excavation and served as a place of refuge during sieges and wars.
Maastricht Art & Culture
- Bonnefanten Museum – Designed by the Italian architect Aldo Rossi, this shuttle-shaped museum takes you back in history to 250,000 BC.
- Natural History Museum – This museum displays geology, fossil remains and the history of the Limburg area.
- Spanish Government Museum – The museum housed in a magnificent 16th-century renaissance building displays antiques from 17th and 18th centuries.
- International Jazz Festival – For four days in the month of October, Maastricht gets soaked in the azz festival.
- TEFAF: The European Fine Art Fair – This fine art fair held in March offers the choicest masterpieces.
- Saturday Flea Market – If you’re looking for bargain, nothing beats this market on the city’s stationsstraat.
- Schmidt Zeevis – This store with all kinds of fish is located in the basement of the Mosae Forum shopping.
- Friandises – This shop in the Wijcker Brugstraat offers good and delicious chocolates.
- De Chauvinis – This small shop in the city centre offers local crafts, food and music.
- Preuve Limburg – This open shop displays and sells local food and drink.
Gay & Lesbian Maastricht
- COC Limburg – Organises Ladies' Night and Gayelectricty for lesbians and gay men over 45 years.
- Café Rose – One can have drinks and a chat at this COC Limburg, the biggest LGBT organization.
- Pink Party – This biggest gay and lesbian party in the Limburg region is held twice a year in autumn and spring.
- Laveloss – Café Ipanema organises Laveloss parties each fourth Friday of the month with electrifying music.
- Kaleidoscope – This is the social space for LGBT and like-minded students in Maastricht.
- Carnival – Maastricht is the hip and happening place during the end of February carnival festival.
- Preuvenement – This four-day culinary event held in the last week of August offers the best food and wine to relish.
- City Walls – Find your way around the wall of this medieval city, an archaeological attraction.
- Jumping indoor Maastricht – You can see spectacular equestrian events and riders perform various feats at in November.
- Krijtlandpad – You can explore Krijtlandpad for the longer hike of several days.
- Go hiking in one of the South Limburg nature areas in Maastricht.
- Run along the countryside for 5Ks, 10Ksand half marathons.
- Go fishing on the river Maas with plenty of fishing opportunities.
- Enjoy horseback riding at the Brunsummerheide.
- Sail, swim and surf at Dagstrand Oost-Maarland.
- St Pietersberg Caves
- St Jan's Cathedral
- Admiring and photographing the architecture in The Markt
- Catching a festival at The Vrijthof
- Spend an afternoon at the Bonnefantenmuseum
Visitors will enjoy a fairly moderate climate year round in Maastricht. Summer highs average around 73°F (23°C), and winter temperatures rarely drop below 41°F (5°C). As with most weather in the Netherlands, many days can be quite damp. Being prepared with various clothing choices will help while sightseeing.
Getting There & Around
The city is served by the Maastricht Airport, which has direct flights only from select locations in Spain. Visitors can fly to Amsterdam Airport, from which they take a train to reach the city (the trip takes about three hours). Most travellers choose to use Belgian airports, such as Brussels or Liege, because they are closer.
Upon arrival in the city, visitors can use the Stadsbus to explore the city or travel on foot. Since the city caters to pedestrians, it is much easier to walk in the centre of the city than it is to drive.
Featuring an elegant decor and a warm hospitality, Best Western DuCasque Hotel welcomes you for an unforgettable vacation. GeneralThe unique banquet and meeting rooms, which are decorated in art... More
Experience the comfortable accommodation blended with a warm hospitality and unsurpassed service at the Derlon Hotel Maastricht. GeneralDuring leisure, you can explore the city and its attractions... More
Offering maximum comfort, this property welcomes all type of guests for a pleasant and tranquil stay. GeneralThe hotel boasts 11 well-appointed conference rooms, which are an ideal venue for... More
Whether it is a weekend retreat or longer stay, the Hampshire - Designhotel Maastricht emerges to be the upscale getaway ideally suited for guests seeking a space, privacy, style and luxury. ... More
Being an ideal place in the city of Maastricht, this hotel offers a warm welcome, pleasant ambience and convenient facilities to make your stay a memorable one. GeneralThis property comprises 10... More
Offering comfortable accommodation and quality services, this property is the perfect base for you to reside whether you are in Maastricht for business or pleasure. GeneralThe hotel offers... More
American style rooms close to exhibition center
Nestled in a lush environment, the Golden Tulip Apple Park Maastricht with its elegant accommodation units and excellent facilities allows you to get the most out of your stay in Maastricht. ... More
Being an ideal place in the city of Maastricht, this hotel offers a warm welcome, pleasant ambience and convenient facilities to make your stay a memorable one. GeneralThe hotel comprises 9... More
Featuring an elegant decor and a warm hospitality, Van der Valk Maastricht welcomes you for an unforgettable vacation. GeneralThis property offers 9 well-equipped meeting rooms for organising... More
Onderstestraat 66 Map
US$5.00 off stays of 2 or more nights
Fletcher Hotel Restaurant De Geulvallei Houthem St Gerlach is situated in the famous Geul valley, close to the beautiful Ingendael nature reserve. The hotel itself has a rich history, and is housed... More