Puerto Morelos hotels
Perfect Puerto Morelos
Hurricanes Wilma and Emily may have taken down Puerto Morelos’ palm trees, but there’s no obliterating the white sand beaches that make this little Mexican town such a treasure.
Surrounded by overdevelopment and over-intoxication on either side (in the shape of Cancun and Playa del Carmen), Puerto Morelos is a relative haven. Make sure to experience the Mayan Riviera via the incredible Mesoamerican Barrier Reef for an up-close look at (or through) its azure waters. Pesos burning a hole in your pocket? Check out the Marino Plazamall and the Puerto Morelos Artists’ Cooperative. Unlike its near neighbours, Puerto Morelos may have retained a small-town vibe, but that’s not to say it doesn’t condone engaging in a little frivolity.
Puerto Morelos’ Top 10
10. Alma Libre If you want to brush up on your knowledge of Mayan culture, this bookshop (owned by a lovely Canadian couple) is the place to go.
5. Cenotes As if sinkholes weren’t creepy enough already, the ancient Mayans believed they led to the underworld. Were they right? Find out for yourself…
9. Jardin Botanico A short walk south of town is this botanical garden. The flora is lush, but don’t forget the bug spray.
4. Old Lighthouse This lighthouse is the icon of Puerto Morelos. You can blame Wilma (and fellow hurricane Gilbert) for its precarious lean.
8. Marina La Bonita Board a luxe catamaran for a relaxing cruise, or eat, eat and eat some more at one of the many little cafés.
3. Boca del Puma Take a bike tour through the jungle, explore sacred cenotes or hop on the flying fox at this eco park.
7. Mayan Handicraft Centre Watch local women whip up pretty pieces of art, and bag a few souvenirs for those back home.
2. Main beach Clean white sands paired with warm, blue waters. This is as close to heaven as anywhere on Earth gets.
6. Crococun Zoo Since it’s so small, everyone gets a private tour. Very VIP!
1. Reef If you don’t go for a snorkel or dive along the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef, you’re missing out big time.
Puerto Morelos History
- Original Lighthouse – It was tilted by Hurricane Gilbert in 1987 and attacked by Hurricane Wilma on 2005, but never knocked down.
- Puerto Morelos Commercial Pier – Puerto Morelos is the oldest port in the Mexican Caribbean and was a major centre for exporting agricultural and timbre products.
- Collectivo de Artesanos de Puerto Morelos – This area features historic palapa-style buildings.
- The East Coast of Puerto Morelos – Located at the eastern part, it was historically a fishing village.
- Uayma Church – This Spanish colonial church in the nearby town of Uayma was almost destroyed in the Caste War of Yucatan.
- Tulum (Xel-Ha) – A pre-Columbian Mayan city on the coast with many preserved structures and walls.
Puerto Morelos Art & Culture
- Dia de la Marina (Navy Day) – Festivity celebrated every June 1 consisting of various events and a thrilling fishing tournament.
- Cenote Boca de Pluma – Underwater caverns unique to the Yucatan, used by Mayan civilization for ritual human sacrifice.
- Puerto Morelos Jungle Spa – Massage is performed by Mayan women with the so-called “healing hands” as part of their indigenous culture.
- Aristolo Sculptures – Browse through metal and clay sculptures at Artisolo.
- Mayan Handicraft Centre – Congregation of indigenous products made by local craftspeople relaying unique Mayan culture in Puerto Morelos.
Puerto Morelos Shopping
- Alma Libre Bookstore – Large selection of used English paperbacks in Puerto Morelos.
- Little English Schoolhouse – Merchandise of unique handmade ceramics, founded to support the non-profit project to bring English to the locals.
- Chedraui Supermarket – A place where you can choose among a variety of local ingredients.
- Tortilla Factory – This factory sells the local staple and offers free samples hot off the fire.
- Wednesday Market – Found at the town square every Wednesday morning with fresh produce and local goods.
Gay & Lesbian Puerto Morelos
- Bara-bara Bar – Dwelling for people looking for a night party and martinis in Puerto Morelos.
- Cantina Habaneros – Dining served for locals and tourists alike with live party music every Friday.
- Posada Amor Terrace – Terrace bar with a package of live music, relaxing atmosphere and great drinks.
- El Pirata – Located across town, controversial for serving the queerest “torta”.
- La Caverna – Jam-packed with local musicians playing live, Latin-influenced jazz.
Puerto Morelos Outdoor
- Parque Nacional Arrecife (National Marine Park) – This reef just off the shore of Puerto Morelos features a rich biodiversity and marine wonders.
- Crococun – Features local wildlife, an exhibit of prehistoric crocodiles and friendly monkeys.
- Selvatica Jungle Adventure – Ecopark designed for mountain biking, horseback riding and zipping through the wild.
- Zocalo – A town square where tourists might find dancing competitions, children playing or locals gathering in the evening in Puerto Morelos.
- Dr Alfredo Barrera Marin Botanical Garden – This garden offers plenty of local flora and fauna to see and trek through.
Puerto Morelos Sports
- Catch the Cesar Martin Fishing Tournament every end of May which showcases competitive ways of setting baits.
- Kick your way to victory in a game of beach soccer.
- Snorkel in clear waters of the cenotes along the coast off Puerto Morelos.
- Charter a catamaran from the Marina La Bonita.
- Go diving along the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef just 500m from shore.
Puerto Morelos Events
The annual Puerto Morelos Music Festival in January and February is one of the biggest events in town. Musicians from all over the country come to perform to thousands of moving, sweaty bodies.
Feel a bit better about spending your entire holiday shopping and eating at the Puerto Morelos Charity Bazaar in April.
May welcomes the annual Fishing Tournament, a three-day event of fish, fishing and, after the closing ceremony, fish ’n’ chips!
The locals celebrate their roots during Dia de la Marina in June. Expect to see some military men, fishing comps and plenty of food, with a ballet afterwards to even things out.
Come and celebrate the Puerto Morelos summer at the Puerto Morelos Summer Festival in June. Dress cool and drink water in between those killer margaritas.
When To Go
The average summer temp sits at a sizzling 29ºC (84ºF).
Want to avoid the rain? Stay away in September, the wettest month of the year.
The humidity gets pretty full on from May to September, so make sure to guzzle down the water rather than the Coronas.
Being a small town, one of the best ways to explore Puerto Morelos is by foot.
Colectivos (buses) are another good way to get around. They don’t have specified stops, so you’ll have to flag them down.
If you want to explore further than the centrality, taxis are your best bet.
18 hotels in Puerto Morelos
Bahia de Petempich SM12 MZ 31 Map
A modern marvel in contemporary design, the Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun Exclusive Adults Only catering Exclusively for Adults brings sophistication and distinction providing unlimited luxury... More
Costera Norte, Lote 1, SM 10, Mz 26 Map
Travelling couples find idyllic getaway and hideaway at the deluxe respite and top-notch resort and spa amenities at Desire Pearl Resort & Spa Riviera Maya - All Inclusive Adults Only. This opulent... More
Riviera Maya Map
Offering highest standards of service, exceptional accommodation, convenient facilities and catering Exclusively for Adults Excellence Riviera Cancun Resort All Inclusive Adults Only is the ideal... More
Carretera Federal 30 Chetumal Puerto Juarez Map
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa Puerto Morelos - All Inclusive offers quality accommodation and friendly service to make the guests stay a comfortable one. Some of the city attractions include... More
Unidad 19, Mz. 20, Lote 1-1, SM 3 Map
Whether you are in town to soak up some culture or perhaps to see many metropolitan charms of Puerto Morelos, then Now Jade Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa All Inclusive is an ideal place to stay. ... More
Carreter Federal Chetumal-Puerto Juanez, Km. 27.5 Map
Set amidst lush vegetation on a spectacular stretch of white sand beach overlooking the crystalline turquoise waters, the Azul Beach Hotel is a perfect place for a relaxing stay. GeneralDuring... More
SM 11 MZ9 Lote10 Map
Blessed with an incredible location, this charming property offers luxurious accommodation, exquisite amenities and unsurpassed service to make your stay a pleasant one. GeneralThe hotel offers... More
Escape the hustle and bustle of the city and retreat to stylish spaces at Grand Residences Riviera Cancun - Luxury Hotel, situated along the shores of Puerto Morelos. This chic Quintana Roo hotel... More
Boulevards El Cid Unidad 15 Map
A combination of colonial and modern architectural styles, Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort Riviera Maya is an ideal destination to enjoy wide expanses of silky, white sand and clear water. ... More