Cozumel is an island paradise nestled near the Yucatan Peninsula where visitors go to escape their stressful lives. This is a place where you can lay around on the beach all day or get drunk at noon and no one will chastise you for it. To experience a true exotic paradise you must visit Isla de Pasion, a remote piece of land where you can soak up the Caribbean sun, play games, and enjoy complimentary food and beverages. As the name implies, Paradise Beach is a tropical wonderland that offers games and activities on the pristine Cozumel sands. If you enjoy interacting with playful aquatic mammals you should also check out Dolphinaris Cozumel, where you can swim and play with the dolphins.
It is funny how relaxing can work up an appetite, and if you want a break from the beaches you can enjoy a truly gourmet experience at Cozumel Chef, where you can enjoy the services of a private chef or learn to make your own French cuisine. Josephina's Cocina Con Almais a great place to buy fresh ingredients for your meals or enjoy dishes prepared during one of the cooking classes.
Cozumel Top 10
10. Playa Palancar is a lovely relaxed beach park where you can enjoy the sun and water peacefully while sipping drinks and munching on various local dishes. You can also rent snorkel gear cheaply to use in the clear shallow waters.
5. The ‘Other Side’ refers to the east-side beaches of Cozumel that are excellent places to walk on the shore or sunbathe, but the waters are too rough for safe swimming or diving. The views are absolutely stunning, however.
9. Barefoot in Cozumel is a day spa that offers a large array of pampering services from Swedish massage to facials and Reiki
4.You may enjoy watching the iguanas at the lagoon in Chankanaab National Park or hiking along the area's numerous trails.
8. Archaeological sites such as San Gervasio and Punta Sur Park offer a look at the ancient lives of the Mayans.
3. If you aren't into diving or snorkelling, the next best way to get close to life under the water is via a Mini Submarine tour. This is a speciality of Cozumel Water Sports.
7. Many travellers visiting Cozumel indulge in a steam bath at the Mayan Steam Lodge for its purifying benefits.
2. Glass-bottom boat tours are great if you want to see the aquatic creatures and coral reef but don't particularly like going under water.
6. Cozumel is among the top 10 locales for deep sea fishing,and boats launch on excursions regularly at the Puerto Abrigo Marina.
1. Diving and snorkelling are the most popular activities in Cozumel due to its clean, clear water and rich reef and marine life. There are a plethora of diving and snorkelling schools and guided underwater tours available from companies all over the island.
- San Gervasio Ruins - An ancient Mayan site where Mayan women paid honour to the goddess of fertility.
- Molas Point Lighthouse - This old lighthouse still contains much of its original equipment and offers great views of the sea.
- El Cedral - This mystical ruin is located inside of a small village near Cozumel and makes for a good day trip from the city.
- El Caracol - This small ruin is named for the spiral shape of its interior, which resembles a snail or a conch.
- Castillo Real - This unique Mayan ruin is a great place for sightseeing and snorkelling.
Cozumel Art and Culture
- Palacio Municipal - This government building draws visitors because of its unique architecture.
- Discover Mexico Cozumel Park - This park features real-size reproductions of Toltec and Mayan statues.
- Museo de la Isla de Cozumel - This two-storey museum tells about the rich history of the Cozumel people.
- Pax - This unique museum features ancient musical instruments from the Mayan era.
- Parque Archeologico - This history park offers amazing statues from the Mayan period.
- The Plaza - Found in San Miguel’s city centre, this shopping plaza features a wide variety of small shops and restaurants.
- Chocolates Kaokao - This chocolate factory offers tours as well as a gift shop where visitors can buy tasty gifts.
- Van Cleef - This high-end jewellery store is on the waterfront in Cozumel.
- Cinco Soles - This large store features crafts from all over Mexico.
- Panchos Backyard - This restaurant has a large selection of local tequilas for sale.
Gay & Lesbian Cozumel
- Cini Kin Na - This gay-friendly private villa features beautiful surroundings and a popular freshwater pool.
- Hotel Plaza de Cozumel - The amazing outdoor pool and beautiful views make this gay-friendly resort a favourite among gay travellers.
- Villa Blanca Garden Beach - This small, gay-friendly hotel offers affordable rooms for discerning gay and lesbian travellers.
- Bacchus - This gay tapas bar features great cocktails as well as occasional live music.
- Soma - This small techno club draws a young and trendy gay crowd to its lively dance floor.
- Punta Sur Eco Park - This park features an array of trails that lead past ancient ruins, which makes it a great place for a scenic stroll.
- Punta Celerain Lighthouse - This lighthouse is a great place to take a walk due to its views and beautiful surrounding beaches.
- Dolphinaris Cozumel - The natural wildlife area allows visitors to swim with dolphins in beautiful turquoise waters.
- Passion Island - This beautiful small island off the coast of Cozumel is a perfect place to enjoy seclusion and beautiful beaches.
- Chankanaab National Park - This beautiful park is a great place to dive, swim and enjoy the marine wildlife.
- Dive among the spectacular coral reef formations at Santa Rosa Wall.
- Learn to dive or paraglide at Cozumel Sports. Watch one of the Huracanes de Cozumel’s exciting football matches.
- Stretch out and stay fit at Power Yoga Cozumel.
- Catch a football match at Estadio do Morumbi.
The natives of Cozumel give gifts to each other during the family celebration of Dia de los Santos Reyes, which takes place on 6 January.
Feria del Cedral/Fiesta de la Santa Cruz takes place in April and May. This holiday celebrates the first colony founded on Cozumel, and the events include bullfights, dances, live music and other fun stuff.
Semana Santa is the solemn beginning of Easter celebration in Cozumel, which involves special masses at both the Iglesia de San Miguel and Iglesia de Corpus Christi. There are beautiful candlelight vigils as well.
Pascua wraps up the Easter events and brings back the light-hearted atmosphere of Cozumel with confetti-filled eggs, music and lots of dancing and partying.
Aniversario de la Revolucion Mexicana celebrates the Mexican Revolution with lots of merry-making and rowdy goings-on, like most events in Cozumel. This takes place in September.
Dia del San Miguel is a fun time in Cozumel. There are parties, concerts, rodeos and other grand activities on 29 September to celebrate St Michael's Day.
Dia de Cristobal Colon is the Columbus Day for Cozumel, where locals throw a huge party complete with music, dancing, parades and plenty of good food. It takes place in mid- October.
Dia de Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe is a time to honour Mexico's patron Saint, Our Lady of Guadalupe. Candle-lit processions, special Catholic masses, parades, parties and fireworks begin in the middle of December in Cozumel.
Cinco de Mayo is an important Mexican holiday that honours the day the Mexicans defeated the French at the battle at Puebla. Cozumel celebrates this day with street parties, dances, fireworks and plenty of food and tequila.
Dia de Muertos is just as big a party in Cozumel as it is elsewhere in Mexico. The locals honour the dearly departed with alters at their graves; dancing with music on the first of November. You can stock up on your sugar skulls and related crafts if you visit during this time.
When to Go
Cozumel is a tropical paradise, so it never gets cold, but it does rain a lot more in the late fall/early winter months than in the summer.
You should expect rain any time you visit Cozumel, but it is especially heavy from October through December. The monthly average rainfall ranges from 16-18 inches (40-46 cm) during this period.
You can fly directly to the Cozumel International Airport from several US cities as well as Toronto. You also have the option to fly to Cancun airport and then take a bus to Playa del Carmen where you can catch the ferry to Cozumel.
Cozumel is often a stop on many cruise itineraries, and there are boats and ferries that leave from Playa del Carmen and Calica.
In town you can walk to most places, rent a car, or take taxis. Rental agencies are available in the resorts or along the docks, and taxis are pretty cheap for short rides around Cozumel.
- Riviera Maya hotels (89 hotels)
- Mexico City hotels (146 hotels)
- Cabo San Lucas hotels (36 hotels)
- Mazatlan hotels (42 hotels)
- Los Cabos hotels (14 hotels)
- Guadalajara hotels (80 hotels)
- Merida hotels (64 hotels)
- Puerto Vallarta hotels (71 hotels)
- Vallarta hotels (3 hotels)
- Acapulco hotels (40 hotels)
31 hotels in Cozumel, MX
An ideal place for all travellers, the Suites Bahia Cozumel offers a warm welcome, pleasant ambience and convenient facilities that makes your stay a relaxed one. GeneralDuring leisure, you can... More
Offering excellent accommodation and convenient facilities, the Vista Del Mar Boutique Hotel Cozumel is an ideal place for a pleasant as well as a relaxing stay. GeneralFor your comfort and... More
Holidaymakers looking for an ideal Carribean Island escape find suitable base at foreshore-set Sunscape Sabor Cozumel - All Inclusive. This cosy Cozumel property places tourists close to a myriad... More
Offering services of modern destination, the Casa Mexican invites you to enjoy a memorable stay at Cozumel. GeneralThere is a fully-equipped meeting room with a capacity to accommodate up to 100... More
Hotel Barracuda Cozumel provides holidaymakers with value-for-money accommodations off the coast of the beautiful Yucatan Peninsula. Known as one of the leading diving destinations, Cozumel... More
This graceful property in a quiet area, offers elegant accommodation and modern facilities to make your stay in Cozumel a pleasant one. GeneralHealth conscious guests can work out at the gymnasium... More
Carr. Playa San Juan Km 2.5, Zona Hotelera Norte Map
Providing maximum comfort and excellent service in a relaxing atmosphere, the Hotel B Cozumel is a perfect place for you to reside. GeneralIf your desire is to rest, the swimming pool and jaccuzi... More
Located on a powder white sandy beach on the northern Hotel Zone of Isla Cozumel, this hotel faces the crystal waters of the Mexican Caribbean. GeneralChichen Itza function room is a hexagonal... More
Travel away from bustling city life by booking a stay in the inviting and well-located accommodations of Cozumel Palace Resort All Inclusive. Besides enjoying water activities at beaches in the... More