Luxembourg City hotels
Step into the fairytale kingdom of turreted castles, thriving aristocracy, lush valleys and ancient forests found in this postage stamp-sized country. Luxembourg City is the jewel of this pint-sized nation and tax haven (shhhh), and apart from the pristine environs and impressive, fanciful buildings, there is much laughter around the squares of the city, where street actors perform constantly, keeping the place feeling festive at any time of the year.
Luxembourg has the National Museum of History and Artto tempt cultural aficionados, the Notre Dame Cathedral for those who may need a bit of divine intervention, and the scenic and historic Petrusse Expressrailway, and that’s just for starters. You’ll be amazed that a city in such a small country can pack such a big punch.
Luxembourg's Top 10
10. Neumunster Abbey A good place to mooch for an afternoon thanks to changing art exhibitions, outdoor performance space and cafe.
5. US Military Cemetery Home to the remains of the US soldiers who helped liberate Luxembourg at the end of WWII. Very moving.
9. Wenzel Walk Guided city walks operated by the City Tourist Office will take you through all the interesting sites and work off some of that pork and sauerkraut lunch.
4. Bock Casements A system of passages and galleries under the Bock (medieval fortress town) first carved out by the Spaniards in 1744.
8. Natural History Museum Interactive displays based on dinosaurs and the big bang (no creationists here) will keep the kids amused.
3. Chateau de Bourscheid This 1,000-year-old castle with a ring wall and circular towers offers excellent views over the Sure River.
7. St Martin’s Winery See how the local sparkling wine is traditionally made. Then taste to your heart’s content.
2. Luxembourg City History Museum Exhibits show the history of the city in wooden miniature, plus there are great views of the Old Town from the glass lift.
6. Modern Art Museum The same architect responsible for the Louvre’s central glass pyramid created this glass-roofed gallery that houses a modern collection of photography, design, fashion and multimedia.
1. Palais Grand-Ducal You have one hour to move through this Moorish castle, but they only let 40 people in at a time. On your marks, get set…
- Grand Ducal Palace – A beautiful palace surrounded by charming cobblestone lanes.
- Notre-Dame Cathedral – A gothic cathedral built in the early 17th century.
- Vianden Castle – An enchanting 11th-century castle overlooking the River Our.
- Luxembourg City History Museum – Unveils the city’s history with the aid of original artefacts and interactive multimedia presentations.
- Beaufort Castle – These ruins are a perfect tribute to Luxembourg’s medieval times.
Luxembourg Art & Culture
- National Museum of Military History – A tribute to the soldiers of the Battle of the Bulge (1944-45).
- Musee d’Art Moderne Grand-Duc Jean – This collection boasts 200 works of art.
- General Patton Memorial Museum – This museum contains over 1,000 photographs and documents relating to Luxembourg’s ancient history.
- Bock Casemates – A network of underground fortifications dating back to 1644. The archaeological crypt is home to an exciting audio-visual presentation that conveys the history of the site.
- Victor Hugo House – Tourists will discover original artwork, furniture and Rodin’s renowned bust of Victor Hugo.
- Avenue de la Gare – The place to find fashion boutiques, jewellers and electronics stores in Unterstadt.
- Grand-Rue – One of Luxembourg’s most important shopping streets.
- Gallery Grand-Rue/Beaumont – Home to some of the greatest fashion, jewellery and perfume boutiques in the city.
- Villeroy & Boch Création Exhibition – Located at rue du Fossé, this exhibition sells exquisite china and crystal.
- Rue du Marché-aux-Herbes – An abundance of shops and boutiques can be found here.
Gay & Lesbian Luxembourg
- Le Kotten Club – A popular nightspot offering music, dancing and live entertainment.
- Bistro 88 – Where the local gay community socializes and has fun.
- Rosa Letzebuerg – A Luxembourg gay men's organization.
- Banana’s Bar – A friendly, welcoming bar in which tourists and locals alike are free to relax and enjoy their evening.
- Café Diva – An attractive hangout for Luxembourg’s gay community.
- Wenzel Walk – This popular walk takes tourists through Luxembourg’s oldest quarters, granting them the freedom to experience the city’s rich culture and history.
- Skiing the Ardennes – Ardennes is a pleasant place in which to ski when the weather allows.
- Municipal Park – A public urban park located in Luxembourg’s city centre.
- Parc Merl – An urban park in the west of the city.
- Haute-Sure Nature Reserve – Tourists can rent bikes at the nature reserve to explore Luxembourg’s countryside.
- Catch the Leopard Trek or take part in the Tour de Luxembourg. This annual stage race is held in late May or early June.
- Visit Luxembourg’s largest athletics club, CAL Spora Luxembourg, to watch the pros in action.
- Enjoy the BGL Luxembourg Open tennis tournament held in the city centre.
- Check out the Optimists Cricket Club at Walferdange in central Luxembourg.
- Be entertained at the Stade Boy Konen. The Rugby Club Luxembourg play at home here.
In March the Carnival Parade on Refreshment Sunday is a popular pre-Easter festival.
Pottery whistles are a specialty at the L’Emaischen markets in April, with many other local crafts and pottery for sale.
The International Classical Music Festival is held in May, where visiting and local orchestras perform in the Basilica and the churches of Saints Peter and Paul.
For the repentant and religious, or those who just like a spectacle, Octave of Our Lady of Luxembourg is a grand religious procession, also in May.
June’s Luxembourg National Day features much royal pomp. The Duke will be out to review his guards amongst celebrations and fireworks.
When To Go
Luxembourg puts on great weather from mid-April to mid-October.
Early spring is also attractive, with cheaper hotels and restaurants.
Winter, though quite cold, is a great time to visit as it is the height of the theatre season.
The trains are clean, fast and efficient and can get you almost anywhere.
Hire a car for the freedom to travel at your own pace.
Getting around on bicycle is a great way to see the city if you have a relaxed schedule.
The trilingual nation of Luxembourg is one of the most attractive destinations in Europe, with plenty of Old World folk charm and a definite progressive streak. As such, the tiny country of less than half a million people is a must for anyone near the borders of France, Belgium and Germany. With a high per capita income and robust economy, the sole Grand Duchy in the world offers a tidy and cosmopolitan 2,500 plus square kilometres to explore.
The capital city of the same name is a must for visitors to Luxembourg. Home to some 90,000 people, the city is the principal metropolitan area of the Grand Duchy. The affluent city has a wealth of fine attractions, from the Grand Duke Jean Museum of Modern Art to Grand Ducal Palace and the beautiful Cathedral of Notre Dame. The gem of Luxembourg city however, may be the Old Quarters and Fortifications, known as Casemates Bock.
Attractions & Activities
Restaurant & Nightlife
Luxembourg has a continental climate, with mild weather and relatively high rainfall throughout the year.
- Winter (December to February) -1-4°C
- Spring (March to May) 1-18°C
- Summer (June to September) 10-23°C
- Fall (October to November) 3-13°C
Luxembourg official guide
23 hotels in Luxembourg City, LU
Offering exceptional service and superb accommodation, the Alvisse Parc Hotel Luxembourg is an ideal place for a gratifying stay. GeneralThe hotel has 11 functional rooms with the largest one... More
Campanile LUXEMBOURG - Airport combines quality services and comfortable accommodation meeting the needs of both corporate travellers and holiday makers. Whether for a quick look or full... More
Offering comfortable accommodation and quality services, this property is the perfect base for you to reside whether you are in Luxembourg for business or pleasure. GeneralThe hotel offers 2... More
Providing courteous service and comfortable accommodation, this property makes your stay pleasant and relaxing one. GeneralThis hotel also offers well-equipped meeting rooms that can accommodate... More
Offering a blend of luxury and affordability, the Best Western International Hotel Luxembourg is an ideal base for all type of travellers. GeneralThis property offers a meeting room that is... More
Offering comfortable accommodation and outstanding services, Park Inn By Radisson Luxembourg City, a modern style property, makes you to enjoy all the privileges for an unforgettable stay. ... More
At Novotel Luxembourg Centre Hotel, you are assured of a warm welcome and flawless service. You will find areas for relaxing and places to work, along with numerous other first-rate amenities. ... More
BEST WESTERN PLUS Grand Hotel Victor Hugo Luxembourg is a luxurious hotel that offers relaxing atmosphere with stylish decor and amenities. This hotel is a perfect choice for travellers visiting... More
Being an ideal place in the city of Luxembourg, this hotel offers a warm welcome, pleasant ambience and convenient facilities to make your stay a memorable one. GeneralThe hotel comprises 10... More