While the potential that Baltic states have had as travel destinations has been relatively slow to materialize since the dissolution of the Soviet Union, a recent uptick in tourism to the region is a good omen. Riga for one, is a good reason to add a country like Latvia to your future travel plans. With a UNESCO World Heritage old town, the capital of the Republic of Latvia is a wonderful city to visit.
With notable Art Nouveau architecture and dramatic landmarks that dot a fabulous cityscape, the city on the river Daugava is a cosmopolitan home to over 700,000 people. The medieval center, still intact enough to hint at Riga's affluent status from the 13th to the 15th century, draws the lion's share of visitors. The city is also replete with many fine parks and recreation areas that host festivals and events throughout the year, often within close proximity to the attractive banks of the Daugava.
- Freedom Monument – Monument topped with a female bronze Liberty that was off limits during the Soviet days and placing flowers at its base was considered a crime punishable by deportation to Serbia.
- Saint Peter’s – Gothic cathedral that has been around for about 800 years.
- Swedish Gate – Built into the city walls to celebrate the Swedish occupation in 1698. To the east is the Powder Tower from the 1300s.
- Saint Roland – Riga’s patron saint.
- Old Town – A lovely place to visit, with many buildings that resemble Paris, Rome or Berlin.
Riga Art & Culture
- Latvian Ethnographic Open-Air Museum – Farmhouses, windmills and churches that give a peek into the bygone country life. In early June, it also hosts festivals and the National Fair of Applied Arts.
- Museum of the History of Riga and Navigation – Housed in a cloister.
- Museum of the Occupation of Latvia – Recounts the Nazi and Soviet occupations during the last 65 years.
- Museum of Decorative and Applied Arts – Housed in a restored church from the 1200s and includes a wonderful assortment of local textiles, tapestry and china.
- National Museum of Art – Russian and Latvian art displayed among the grandeur of Soviet net curtains, red carpets and marble columns.
- Jāņa sēta - Offers just about every map under the sun, as well as reference books on the country other travel guides.
- A&E Gallery – Looking for art or amber? This is a favourite spot in Riga to find both.
- Upe – Has traditional folk music and instruments and a small selection of local rock music.
- Globuss – Local bookstore with English-language magazines and novels.
- Rimi – The biggest supermarket around.
Gay & Lesbian Riga
- Golden Bar – Stylish place where you can enjoy the bar, lounge area or dance floor.
- Varaviksne – First gay sauna in the country.
- Spot Cafe – Friendly atmosphere to meet new people and enjoy something to eat or drink.
- Purvs – Popular club open daily.
- XXL Club – Modern glamorous club in Riga.
- Erot Boy – The place to go for an erotic massage.
- Lido Atpūtas Centrs - Activities include an outdoor ethnographic park, ice-skating rink and lots of buffet restaurants where you can sample the local cuisine.
- Central Market – Historic and timeless Soviet-style market, very colourful and the biggest one in Europe.
- Esplanade Park – The designer of this lovely area, George Kuphaldt, was expelled by Germany and accused of being a spy for having a telescope in his garden.
- Mežaparks – Forest Park is a pleasant area in Riga with large, gorgeous houses.
- Līvu Laukums – Offers beer gardens during the summer and an outdoor ice skating rink during the winter.
- Catch a local basketball game by the Barons LMT in the Daugavas Sporta Nams arena.
- Make a trip to the Daugava Stadium to see the local athletic competitions.
- Catch an exhilarating hockey game from the Dinamo Riga team at the Arena Riga.
- Enjoy tennis matches at the Ice Arena.
- Stop by the Skonto Stadium to see a football game with the Skonto FC.
- Riga Cathedral
- Art Nouveau Architecture on Alberta Street
- St. Peter's Church
- Riga Zoo
- Riga Castle
- International Festival of Traditional Music
- Riga Opera Festival
- Latvian Song and Dance Festival
- Riga International Film Festival
- La Boheme
- White Dune
- Lounge 8
Riga straddles the line between a maritime and humid continental climate. As such, the city and region experiences four seasons, with cold winters and warm summers.
- Winter (November to March) -8-4°C
- Spring (April to May) 1-16°C
- Summer (June to August) 10-22°C
- Fall (September to October) 4-16°C
Your hotel booking club!
Hear about our best travel deals first when you sign up for our emails!
Garden Palace Hotel Riga offers quality accommodation in a 19th century building in the heart of Riga. The hotel is an ideal place to stay and get acquainted with Latvian culture. Tourists can... More
Boasting an ideal location with excellent accommodation and friendly service, the Avalon Hotel Riga offers you a unique experience and loads you with memories that you can treasure for life. ... More
Excellent place to stay!
Offering first-class service and excellent accommodation, this attractive property is the right choice of accommodation, while visiting Riga. GeneralWith 13 flexible meeting rooms, ranging from... More
33 Raina blvd. Map
Free Spa access - see attached information!
Combining comfort and elegance in a 19th-century architecture, Opera Hotel & Spa Riga makes for an ideal haven for chic travellers looking for cultural homestay in the Latvia capital. This city... More
Four Star - Nice SPA hotel
Savvy travellers looking to explore the historic Latvia capital find strategic base at the centrally set Wellton Centrum Hotel and Spa. This plush Riga hotel positions tourists close to landmarks... More
The Hotel Centra Riga placed in the heart of the old town is one of the best hotel in Riga and is surrounded by museums, restaurants, bars and clubs. GeneralHotel Centra Riga houses a well... More
Old Riga Palace Hotel is close to the Daugava River, within walking distance from public institutions and banks. Some of the area attractions include Riga International Exhibition Centre, St.... More
Getting away for a long weekend
The Radisson Blu Elizabete Hotel Riga is a modern and friendly property celebrating the local contemporary lifestyle as well as offers gracious hospitality and superb accommodation an unforgettable... More
Vacationers discovering landmarks and attractions in the Latvia capital find suitable retreat in the well-furnished lodgings of Monika Centrum Hotel Riga. This posh Riga hotel places tourists near... More
Refine your search
- Large Guild hotels
- House of the Blackheads hotels
- St. Peter's Church Riga hotels
- Museum of the Occupation of Latvia hotels
- Convent Yard hotels
- Splendid Palace hotels
- Small Guild hotels
- Art Academy of Latvia hotels
- Powder Tower hotels
- Swedish Gate hotels
- Freedom Monument hotels
- Riga Cathedral hotels