Ocho Rios hotels
Rios, Ocho Rios
James Bond was on to something when he visited Jamaica in Dr. No, and you’ll definitely be on to something when you visit this Caribbean island paradise. Just as it is for Mr Bond, indulgence is the name of the game in Ocho Rios. You can hire a horse from Hooves (appropriate name!) and ride the beaches and rainforests, or hop onto a golf buggy and play a round at Sandals Golf and Country Club.
But while Bond often smelt a rat, the only aroma you will take in is the scent of the fresh sea breeze. And what better place to do it than James Bond Beach? James Bond’s creator, Ian Fleming, lived in this area of Jamaica and you can visit his old property, Goldeneye. Just keep a look out for master criminals along the way…
Ocho Rios’ Top 10
10. Prospect Plantation To see where coffee and cocoa is grown, take a tour on a horse, camel or even a tractor.
5. Turtle Beach Secure a spot under one of the swaying palm trees and while away an afternoon or an entire holiday!
9. Harmony Hall Enjoy the architecture, buy some local art and have a meal. Is there anything this building can’t do?
4. James Bond Beach Re-create a scene from Dr. No. Will a bikini-clad Ursula Andress pop out of the ocean into your fantasy?
8. Coyaba River Garden and Museum Learn about the island and see some colourful koi.
3. Reggae Xplosion Museum Come for Bob Marley, stay for the reggae.
7. Island Village Entertainment Park Intended to encapsulate an old Jamaican seaside village, this is one for your inner tourist.
2. Dolphin Cove Swim with the ocean’s friendliest creatures.
6. Mallards Beach It’s close to downtown, but then so are the crowds.
1. Dunn’s River Falls Climb the limestone staircase and see falling water up close.
Ocho Rios History
- Prospect Plantation – This working plantation in Ocho Rios gives visitors a chance to see what Jamaica was like in the past.
- Ocho Rios Fort – The climb to this historic site is a favourite among climbers and has impressive architecture.
- Brimmer Hall Estate – This historic site allows visitors to see a glimpse into Jamaica’s past with a fully working plantation.
- Coyaba River Garden and Museum – Pre-Columbian relics are on display in this museum.
- Firefly – Once the home of famous playwright Noel Coward and has played host to a wide number of famous people, including Queen Elizabeth II.
Ocho Rios Art & Culture
- Bob Marley Birthplace and Mausoleum – This home turned museum is where the legendary reggae singer and social activist was born.
- Reggae Xplosion – This unique museum chronicles the history of reggae music.
- Parish of Saint Ann – The lush, well-manicured gardens of this parish are the main attraction.
- Wassi Art Pottery Factory Tour – Visitors can visit this working art studio in Ocho Rios to see how beautiful handcrafted Jamaican pots are made.
- Harmony Hall – Built in the mid-19th century and houses some of the best Jamaican paintings and sculptures.
Ocho Rios Shopping
- Island Village – This unique shopping village is a great place to buy local handicrafts and souvenirs.
- Crafts Market – Located in downtown Ocho Rios, this market features locally handmade arts and crafts.
- Taj Mahal – This shopping centre has a wide array of shops and restaurants that cater to tourists.
- Ocho Rios Craft Park – Open-air market sells everything from sandals to handcarved wooden art.
- Ocean Village Shopping Centre – This shopping plaza is a great place to shop for beach apparel or tasty local snacks.
Gay & Lesbian Ocho Rios
- Amnesia – Features a lively dance floor and a mixed crowd of people.
- Sandals Resort – Famous Jamaican resort is gay friendly and features a great outdoor pool.
- Royal Plantation – This high-end resort in Ocho Rios caters to a sophisticated gay crowd.
- Couples Resort – This small resort is very welcoming to gay couples and is known for the very friendly staff.
- AI’s – Dance club and bar features an entertainment staff sure to be a hit in the gay community.
Ocho Rios Outdoor
- Dunn’s River Falls – The hike to these falls offers a great workout and the views from the top are spectacular.
- Dolphin Cove – Visitors to this Ocho Rios attraction will get the unique chance to swim with bottlenose dolphins.
- Shaw Park Gardens – Just a short distance from downtown, these well kept gardens are a great place to take a stroll.
- Fern Gully – This three-mile-long canyon makes for a nice drive or walk in the afternoon.
- Laughing Waters – These waterfalls overlook a cosy beach, which is the perfect place to relax and soak up the sun.
Ocho Rios Sports
- Take a swim in the beautiful waters off James Bond Beach.
- Dive with the moray eels at Top of the Mountain reef.
- Take a horseback ride on an Ocho Rios beach with Hooves.
- Play a round at Sandals Golf and Country Club.
- Snorkel in an exotic cove with Cool Runnings Snorkel.
Ocho Rios Events
In February, the world’s mountain-bike enthusiasts descend on Ocho Rios for the Fat Tyre Festival. Watch as the pros race – and crash – through spectacular scenery.
Every April just outside of Ocho Rios, you can fly your kite proudly at the Jamaica International Kite Festival.
Taking place in June each year is the Caribbean’s premier jazz event, the Ocho Rios Jazz Festival.
Celebrated annually on Independence Day (6 August) is Ocho Rios’ enormously popular Ocho Rios Seafood Festival. With all the entertainment on offer, don’t forget to try the fish!
Restaurant Week takes place in November when restaurants in Ocho Rios and across Jamaica offer incredible discounts. Grab yourself a martini – shaken not stirred, of course!
When To Go
With Ocho Rios’ tropical climate, you can expect it to be hot and humid throughout the year.
If you don’t enjoy the rain, avoid the two wet seasons from May to June and September to November.
There can be hurricanes from June to September, so be careful not to be blown away for all the wrong reasons.
If you are going to rent a car, you may want to observe the roads for a couple days first, as they have their own way of doing things in Jamaica!
For the more adventurous traveller, jump into a route taxi full of locals and character.
If you are not looking to venture much further than the tourist traps, the beaches and your hotel, walking is a good option.
29 hotels in Ocho Rios, JM
Boasting an ideal location opposite the world's famous beautiful Turtle Beach, Fishermans Point Resort is the place to stay and enjoy a beachside holiday. Travellers can pay a visit to some of the... More
Boasting an ideal location and offering numerous conveniences along with the resort's leisure-focused options, Riu Ocho Rios All Inclusive exceed the expectations of any and every guest. ... More
Paradise Turtle Beach Towers – Deluxe Studio, 1 and 2 Bedroom Apartments are conveniently located right in the heart of sunny Ocho Rios. The apartments are perfectly positioned, very affordable,... More
Franklyn D. Resort & Spa Runaway Bay by offering wide range of outdoor activities provides an opportunity to spend an enjoyable vacation in a creative way. Some of the city attractions include... More
A Victorian-inspired property perched on shores of Runway Bay, Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica All Inclusive Runaway Bay Hotel makes for an ideal retreat for travellers looking for an island getaway.... More
Salt Coppers, Map
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection - Adults Only- All Inclusive is a Victorian-style hotel offering stylish spaces and a host of leisure facilities located a stroll away from... More
Whether on short or extended stays in Ocho Rios, travellers find suitable base in the contemporary self-contained accommodations of Paradise Columbus Heights Apartments, ideally positioned close to... More
Plan a holiday retreat by the shores of northern Jamaica and find suitable base at the cosy spaces of Paradise L Horizon Villas Ocho Rios. This contemporary Ocho Rios property offers several... More
Silver Spray Map
Jewel Paradise Cove Beach Resort & Spa -Adults Only- All Inclusive in Runaway Bay welcomes leisure travellers to deluxe and chic accommodations suitable for an idyllic respite while in Jamaica.... More