Jealousy can be an ugly thing, but while Treviso suffers from a touch of the green-eyed monster – referring to itself as ‘Little Venice’ – ugliness is not a word that applies here.
While it may not be as flashy and fabulous as its more famous neighbour, Treviso has a quiet charm all its own. Remnants of painted frescoes are still visible on many dwellings and there are numerous architecturally interesting buildings and piazzas to explore, like the civic heartPiazza dei Signoriand the Duomo.
With a prosperous and comfortable population, you’ll avoid all the tourist kitsch of the better known centres. Treviso’s claim to fame is the international clothing empire, Benetton, which has a store near the Palazzo dei Trecento. There are also plenty of cafés, bars and restaurants to enjoy – and hey, it may be in Venice’s shadow, but it ain’t sinking, either!
Treviso’s Top 10
10. The Monte di Pieta (Pawn Shop) The first of its kind – established by Franciscan friars to give low-interest loans.
5. Boat Cruise Daily cruises along the picturesque River Sile for some fresh air after all those museums.
9. The Towers of Treviso Four of these medieval residences jut above the city. The original rooms with a view, perhaps.
4. Palazzo dei Trecento Home to thefamous Fontana delle Tette, from which wine flowed for three days after the appointment of a new governor. Now that’s what we call a celebration!
8. Museo Civico di Santa Caterina Art lovers, you have just found your paradise!
3. Duomo Every Italian town worth its salt has one, but Treviso’s is something special.
7. Museo Diocesano di Arte Sacra Housed in a Gothic priory, there is a free exhibit of vestments, silverware and some medieval sculpture.
2. Chiesa di San Nicolo This seminary is home to 40 portraits of Dominican friars.
6. Case Piavone Ethnographic Museum Houses traditional crafts and folk items.
1. Museo Bailo Relics from the fifth century BCE, plus paintings by the likes of Titian, Tintoretto and Tiepolo. Not too shabby!
- Cattedrale di San Pietro Apostolo - This church features an ancient crypt, as well as some famous historical paintings.
- Villa Sandi - Located just outside of Treviso, this ancient house is one of the top attractions in the area.
- Museo Casa di Giorgione - This famous house has been turned into a museum.
- Sant Alvise - This historic church is known for its classical style of architecture.
- Museo Ebraico di Venezia Ghetto - This historic site shows one of the ancient ghettos that have been turned into a museum.
Treviso Art & Culture
- Hilal Circolo Culturale - This club is a great place to learn about the Arab influence on Treviso.
- Piazza de Signori - This central square is worth a visit for the architecture and great food.
- Scuola Grande di San Teodoro - This famous theatre features classical architecture.
- Teatrino della Murata - This famous theatre is known for its neoclassical façade.
- Wine Tour Venice - Just a short drive away, take this tour and learn how wine is made in this region.
- Calcio e Ciclismo Illustrato - This antique shop is worth the short trip for those who collect antiques.
- La Moresca - Many people come for the tour of this factory but stay for the specialty shop.
- Bottego Veneta - Located just outside of Treviso, this unique shop is a great place to buy special gifts.
- Archimede Sequso - This specialty shop offers unique gift opportunities.
- Sephora - This shop features all types of soaps, bath gels and perfumes.
Gay & Lesbian Treviso
- Area City - Located just outside of the city, this club is famous for its dance floor and is open to all types of people.
- Nikita - This dance club caters to a younger crowd that often includes gay men.
- Sound Garden - This dance club near Treviso features a mixed crowd and is busy on the weekends.
- Castel Brando - This gay-friendly hotel is a very popular spot for the gay and lesbian community.
- Holiday La Marca - This gay-friendly resort hotel features a very friendly staff.
- Aqualandia - This theme park is a great place to spend the day outside.
- Camp del Ghetto - A great way to see this historic area is by taking one of the many walking tours that can be booked in Treviso.
- Ca’ Salina Still - This vineyard is a great place to spend a day outdoors strolling around the grounds and sampling the grapes.
- Fasol Menin Winery - The stunning hillside scenery of this winery make it a wonderful place to take a walk and enjoy the views of the Alps.
- Orto Botanico Conservativo Carlo Spegazzini - These botanical gardens offer travellers a chance to see the unique plant life of the area.
- Hit the links and play 18 holes at Circolo Golf Venezia Lido.
- Play tennis at the Green Garden Sporting Club.
- Work out and stay in shape at Club Venice just outside of Treviso.
- Jog on the indoor track at Piscina Comunale Sant Alvise.
- Play a challenging round of golf at Asolo Golf Club.
For a humble slice of daily life,visit the Fish Market on Pescheria Island in the Cagnan Canals.
Borgo Cavour is the site of an Antiques Market held on the fourth Sunday of every month.
The foodies’ fair Superbe is held in Veneto in April/May. Get a taste of the locally grown food and wines.
June’s Festa del Buranelli at the Sottoportico dei Buranelli hosts puppet shows and music concerts with local food stalls.
In the lead up to the Feast of the Assumption in August,Treviso’s streets are alive with dance, music and street performances.
When To Go
Spring is beautiful, with great weather and fewer crowds than in summer.
December to February can get very cold, with icy winds blowing off the canals.
The heat and crowds can make summer hard-going in this little town.
Treviso is only 30 minutes from Venice, so hiring a car is a great way to see the area, although parking is problematic in the town itself.
A good train service connects Treviso with Venice and other nearby towns.
Enjoy the relaxed pace and walk the medieval city centre.
One of the most beautiful destinations in the Veneto region of Italy, Treviso has 80,000 very fortunate inhabitants. The delightful town packs a neat collection of superb landmarks that date as far back as the 13th century and beyond. With a location between the Gulf of Venice and the Alps, Treviso is a hop, skip and a jump away from the Serene Republic, Trieste, Padua and the slopes of Cortina d'Amprezzo.
The home of Benetton however, is worth a stay. Principal attractions to include on your tour of Treviso include the early 13th century Church of San Francesco, with beautiful interior chapels and works of art, the Church of San Nicolò from the same era, and the Duomo. With seven domes and interior works by Titian, among others, Treviso's main cathedral is awesome. The town's real charm however, ultimately rests in the narrow streets, local bars, coffeeshops and small family-run restaurants.
Attractions & Activities
Restaurant & Nightlife
Like the rest of the Veneto and indeed Venice, Treviso has four distinct seasons.
- Winter (December to February) -1-8°C
- Spring (March to May) 3-21°C
- Summer (June to September) 14-27°C
- Fall (October to November) 4-18°C
20 hotels in Treviso, IT
Boasting a tranquil ambience and comfortable accommodation, this property is an ideal place for business as well as leisure travellers. GeneralFor your business needs, the hotel offers... More
Encapsulating all the charms of the province, Continental Hotel Treviso with its contemporary setting and modern architecture is the perfect setting for a memorable as well as an enjoyable... More
Assuring high standards of comfort and friendly atmosphere, this property is an ideal place for business as well as leisure travellers. GeneralThe hotel offers meeting rooms for organising your... More
Guests can stay at the attractive BEST WESTERN PLUS Quid Hotel Venice Airport, while in city for business or pleasure. This hotel offers comfortable accommodation that pleases both the business and... More
Boasting a central spot, in proximity to the industrial area of Treviso, this comfortable residence is an ideal base for leisure and business. GeneralRound the clock reception service is available... More
The three star Carletto Hotel is a traditional hotel with traditional hospitality, ideal for those guests who like classic styling and comfort. Just ten minutes from the centre of Treviso, visitors... More
Combining a sense of contemporary style along with modern facilities and attentive service, the Relais Villa Fiorita Treviso is an ideal retreat for both business and leisure travellers alike. ... More
Take pleasure in the charming hospitality of the Bhr Treviso Hotel Treviso that offers one of the best extravagant accommodation and luxurious services to satisfy unique guest like you. GeneralThe... More