Porta Maggiore hotels
The Porta Maggiore, which translates to “Larger Gate” in English, is one of the eastern gates in the Aurelian Walls of Rome, Italy. The Porta Maggiore is constructed out of limestone, was built in the year 52 by Emperor Claudius, and was made a part of the Aurelian Wall in 271. This gate is known as one of the best spots in Rome to get a view of the ancient system of aqueducts that once ran through the city. These ruins are some of the best-preserved in Rome and a must-visit for those interested in ancient architecture and engineering.
- Explore the exterior of the Porta Maggiore and walk beneath the white limestone double archway, where two ancient channels of the Rome aqueducts once converged.
- Check out the Tomb of the Baker near the Porta Maggiore and see one of the most interesting burial sites in Rome, as it is built in the shape of an oven to honour bakers.
- Walk around the Piazza di Porta Maggiore, the square where the gate is located, and you will see a collection of interesting sculptures as well as many great spots to people watch.
Rome is a city filled with ruins worth seeing, so one of the best ways to enjoy the Porta Maggiore is by taking a guided tour through the city. This way you will not miss any of the sites and will have an expert guide to tell you about the historic relevance of each location. Those who want to use the train should get off at the Termini station, just a short walk from the Porta Maggiore as well as several other important Rome attractions. Walking is the best way to see all of the sights in Rome.
Enjoying an enviable city centre location close to top local attractions and transport links, Amalfi Hotel Rome makes for an ideal starting point for travellers seeking to explore this Italy... More
Via Carlo Alberto 3 Map
Free Wi-Fi is available in all areas
Assuring high standards of comfort and friendly atmosphere, Mecenate Palace Hotel Rome is an ideal place for business as well as leisure travellers. GeneralGuests travelling on business purpose... More
Wonderful stay first time Rome
Just 5 minutes' walk from the Coliseum, the recently renovated Retrome is set in one of the city's most characteristic neighborhoods. With a retro 1950s' style, the air-conditioned Boutique B&B... More
The Emona Aquaeductus Hotel offers its guests discrete attentive service in an atmosphere of elegant and cordial hospitality, where the past and the present blend to make for an unforgettable stay.... More
Combining the requirements of today's clients, with an elegant and relaxing atmosphere, the Milton Hotel pampers all guests with excellent services and outstanding facilities that will respond to... More
Providing all the convenient facilities and enjoying a central location, the Novecento Hotel Rome is an excellent choice for both leisure and business travellers. GeneralAt leisure, you can surf... More
Simple but good
Whether in the city for business or leisure, travellers find suitable haven at Hotel Laurentia Rome with its classic ambience and comfortable accommodations set in a central location. This Rome... More
Via Matteo Boiardo 30 Map
Free Wi-Fi is available in all areas
Being a trendy and modern hotel in Rome, Eurostars Saint John Hotel Rome offers beautiful location, excellent service and comfortable accommodation in a relaxing atmosphere to make your stay a... More
Great place to stay in Rome
Set in a tranquil neighbourhood in Rome, Antico Acquedotto Hotel Rome makes for an ideal base for discerning travellers looking for comfortable accommodations while touring the Italy capital.... More
Via Gioberti 36 Map
10% Off - Stay 3 Nights & Save 10%
Hotel Palladium Palace Rome stands out for its comfort, services and fine location in the heart of Rome's historic centre. Some of the places of interest close to this hotel are a large landscaped... More
Refine your search
- Santa Croce in Gerusalemme hotels
- Amphitheatrum Castrense hotels
- Piazza di Porta San Giovanni hotels
- Istituto Europeo di Design hotels
- St John Lateran hotels
- The Via Sannio hotels
- Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II hotels
- Basilica di San Lorenzo fuori le Mura hotels
- Sapienza University of Rome hotels
- Santi Quattro Coronati hotels
- Pontifical Oriental Institute hotels
- Basilica di San Clemente hotels