Known as Kota Hujan or ‘City of Rain’, Bogor experiences over 320 thunderstorms a year, which means you can expect to a) get wet and b) miss out on a bit of sleep. It’s all in a good cause, though, because experiencing Bogor means experiencing traditional Indonesia, with the culture and charm that the rest of the country seems sadly intent on overdeveloping away.
Originally the Dutch summer capital of Indonesia, Bogor has since come into its own as a thriving and beautiful regional city. The Sempur Markets are filled with local produce and a great introduction to the region, while De Daunan is the perfect spot to have a cocktail and watch the sky burst. If you’re feeling a bit more active, check out the Citarik River– it’s incredible for white-water and clear-water rafting year-round.
Bogor’s Top 10
10. Riverside Golf Course Play a round (and play around) on this Greg Norman-designed course.
5. Gunung Mas Tea Plantation Founded in 1910, this super-productive region soon earned the nickname ‘Golden Mountain’.
9. Batutulis area Named after the ancient inscribed stones.
4. Puncak Highland Home to all sorts of plants and trees (plus a fair few creepy-crawlies). Go for a trek – if you dare…
8. Sukarna Gong Factory See how the mighty ancient instrument was made, then have a bang.
3. Bogor Palace One of six presidential palaces in Indonesia, it was originally a country retreat for the Dutch colonial governors. Lucky buggers.
7. Bogor Fishing Village The biggest freshwater fishing experience in Bogor.
6. Bogor Museum of Ethnobotany This unique museum explores the interaction between the island’s inhabitants and the environment over thousands of years.
2. Rancamaya Golf & Country Club A world-class golf course for those in the white-gloved crowd, with great dining and entertainment options for hangers-on.
1. Bogor Botanical Gardens Once the presidential palace gardens, it contains 15,000 unique specimens of native plants.
- Presidential Palace – The former summerhouse of the governor of Java that today receives many visitors.
- Batutulis – This stone carving in Bogor is in remembrance of King Sri Baduga Mararaja and was created in 1533.
- Kujang – A monument in honour of the Indonesian people in West Java and their struggle for independence.
- Cirauteun – A carved stone to remember King Pakuan that dates back to the 5th century.
- Bogor Cathedral – Built in 1750, this is one of the oldest Catholic churches in the country still in operation today.
Bogor Art & Culture
- Bogor Museum of Ethnobotany – This unique museum explores the connection between the Indonesian ethnic culture and botany and is home to more than 1,300 artefacts.
- Bogor Zoological Museum – Dates back to 1894, when it was founded by the Dutch as a research centre.
- Hok Tek Bio – A Buddhist temple built in the classical South Chinese style in 1672.
- Herbarium Bogoriense Museum – Features a collection of preserved plant specimens from Indonesia.
- Perjuangan Museum – Houses an assortment of weapons from the Japanese and British troops.
- Botani Square – This prestigious shopping area in Bogor comes complete with a convention centre and food area.
- Bogor Trade Mall – A large shopping mall where you can find just about everything.
- Gong Factory – A great place to visit and shop, and one of the remaining gongsmiths on the island.
- Wayang Golek Workshop – This workshop makes and sells top-quality wayand golek puppets.
- Factory Outlets – Found on Pajajaran Street and a great place to find all sorts of clothing.
Gay & Lesbian Bogor
- Spectrum Discoteque – A popular disco in Bogor.
- Konsultasi Tarot – Offers special tarot card readings.
- Karaoke Mulia – Offers a combination of music, songs and drinks for a great evening.
- Gita Travel – A friendly travel agency that specializes in organising tours and excursions.
- Punto – A lively club that offers great music in a friendly atmosphere.
- Botanical Garden – This 200-year-old garden is the pride and joy of Bogor and fills 87 hectares with lovely gardens, hilly trails, lakes and rivers.
- Orchid Garden – This wonderful greenhouse is filled with orchids of all shapes and sizes.
- Fishing Valley Bogor – The biggest fishing area in Bogor, with freshwater fishing and a lovely view of Mount Salak.
- Puncak – Wonderful highlands and tea plantations are just outside the city.
- Lake Gede – A lovely area surrounded by a forest park and hosts recreational activities, including boating and fishing.
- Bogor is home to numerous golf courses with great facilities and lovely grounds.
- The Citarik River offers great white-water rafting all year round.
- The Bogor Football Union holds soccer games in the Pajajaran Stadium.
- The Taman Safari has exciting adventures amid nature and wildlife.
- For great running tracks, check out the Bogor Sports Centre.
The Cap Go Meh street festival falls on the 15th day of Chinese New Year. Feel free to join in the loud and colourful celebrations.
June’s Bogor Craft Festival celebrates local manufacturing and handicrafts. If you want to pick up a unique bargain, this is the place to do it.
Every 18 June, the Bogor Botanic Gardens mark their anniversary. Live music and amazing local food all round!
At the Bogor Dondang Festival in July, local produce is decorated and paraded through town. It’s a bit like Rio’s Carnival, only the vegies are wearing more clothes.
When To Go
April to October is the dry season and perfect for the likes of surfing and hiking
November to April is the wet season. Due to its sweeping hills, rich forests and endless skies, Bogor is at its best at this time.
Getting There And Around
If you’re looking to get from Jakarta to Bogor, try the regular train. It’s reliable and doesn’t have the fear factor inherent in some of the local airlines.
If you want a more leisurely stroll around town, horse-carts provide an ancient solution to your modern travel worries.
Taxis are notoriously unreliable in Bogor. If you order one, be sure to ring and check it is actually coming!
8 hotels in Bogor, ID
Featuring spacious accommodations, Javanese services and top-notch events facilities, Aston Bogor Hotel & Resort makes for a suitable base for business and leisure travellers in this part of... More
Novotel Bogor Golf Resort & Convention Center is set amidst beautifully landscaped gardens in the heart of Bogor city. This property features elegant decor and contemporary facilites. The hotel... More
Zest Hotel Bogor is a budget star International hotel which provide a high quality standard of services and facilities. More
Ideally located as part of Sentul International Convention Centre - Bogor and surrounded by mountain area of Bogor, and close to Sentul Highlands golf course, Taman Budaya and Alam Fantasi Park.... More
Located in the luxury residential area of Bukit Cimanggu City, BEST WESTERN Bogor Icon is ideally situated for leisure and business travellers. The hotel is steps away from exciting nightlife,... More
Centrally located, the modern and cosy accommodations of favehotel Padjajaran Bogor make for suitable starting point for travellers looking to discover more about this Indonesia city. This... More
Pesona Alam Resort & Spa - Managed by TAUZIA is a tranquil hill-side resort and convention centre specially designed to deliver an exclusive getaway experience from the usual bustling city... More