The mighty eruption of Krakatau (the local Indonesian name for the volcano better known in the West as Krakatoa) may have destroyed most of Anyer’s buildings back in 1883, but there’s no blowing up the soft white sand, fresh sea breeze and divine scenery – touch wood! Besides, with a 40m (131ft) tall lighthouse sticking out like a sore yet elegant thumb, who needs other buildings anyway?
This West Java wonderland is more than a beachfront slice of paradise, however. Even the most committed culture vultures will be witnessing a whole new world at a traditional Debus Performance. But if watching people get beaten with sledgehammers while lying on a bead of nails (yes, seriously!) makes you a little uneasy, don your swimmers for a game of beach volleyball or stroll along the beach and feast on some traditional emping– if you haven’t lost your appetite, of course…
Anyer's Top 10
10. Swimming Children of the Facebook generation will be surprised at what a day of doing absolutely nothing can do for your soul.
5. Traditional Fishing Boat If you can charm the locals, you may be able to wrangle a ride on a traditional boat.
9. Sailing A trip around the bay is one of the best ways to enjoy the sunshine.
4. Watersports From jet skis to banana boats, the aquatic possibilities are endless.
8. Beach Massage For next-to-nothing you can get a beach-hut massage set to a natural ocean soundtrack.
3. Gunung Krakatau Bear witness to the site of the infamous 1883 explosion that tore this entire area apart and produced the loudest sound in modern history.
7. Bersih Sehat Health Spa Revel in a day of luxury with a massage followed by a feast of delicious local fare.
2. Sunset on the Beach Anyer is renowned its beautiful sunsets. You’ll soon see why.
6. Kelapa on the Beach Can you crack it? Coconuts are the highlight of Anyer’s multiple beachfront stalls.
1. Anyer Lighthouse Built during the Dutch occupation of Indonesia, this Anyer icon has the most sublime views.
- Lighthouse – Built in 1885 by King Willem III of the Netherlands to commemorate the people who died in the Krakatau eruption.
- Banten Grand Mosque – Founded in 1566 by Sultan Maulana Yusuf, this building has a five-layer roof and a minaret with eight corners.
- Avalokiteshvara Temple – Built in 1860, this is the oldest Chinese temple in Banten.
- The Great Post Road – Anyer sits at the start of this historical road that runs through Java and ends at Panarukan. It was created in 1808-11.
- Speelwijk Fort – Located in Pamarican village, this fort was built in 1682 by the VOC to protect the interests of the Dutch.
Anyer Art & Culture
- Anyer Festival – A fairly new event, this festival will be held yearly and features showcases of local artists, music, food and performances.
- Baduy Cultural Conservation – The Baduy community is a closed society, but visitors can still reach the village and interact with locals via a 10km road from Cibungur village.
- Banten Cultural Parade – A procession that goes around Pantai Anyer and features cultural displays.
- Gathering Tourism Funday – An annual weeklong event held in February. Features handicrafts and cultural performances.
- Gunung Krakatau – Home of Mount Krakatou, the site can be visited with a simple boat ride from Anyer.
- Anyer Beach – There is a section where locals sell a variety of food like prawns and fruit.
- Grand Mosque – You can find several fruit stands selling Javanese grapefruit, flowers and religious items outside the temple.
- Lippo Village Mall – A regular shopping mall located in Lippo Village, Banten.
- Banten Lama Marketplace – Located close to the mosque, you can purchase a variety of things, including clothing and DVDs.
- Cilgeon Shopping Mall – A modern shopping mall in Aneyr that sells typical items like clothing and home furnishings.
Anyer Gay & Lesbian
Anyer lacks a developed gay and lesbian scene. Indonesia does not have strict laws against homosexuality, although some local Islamist groups can be less tolerant.
- Sahara Discotheque – Located in the Marbella Hotel, one of the few places to dance in Anyer.
- Resort Prima Anyer – This hotel offers cottages with kitchens as well as rooms and has a nice-sized pool.
- Hawaii A Club Bali Resort – Located along Karang Bolong Beach with a spa, fitness centre and private balconies.
- Blue Moon Bar – Although not catered to gays, this bar along the beachfront is a favourite among local expats and is a good place to get a drink.
- Jayakarta Anyer Hotel – This clean, minimalist hotel on the beach has a friendly staff and swimming pool.
- Anyer Beach – Find white sand and as many outdoor activities as you want to participate in. Enjoy the view of Mount Krakatau.
- Labuan Beach – Walk along the sandy shore or make sand castles.
- Carita Beach – Located in Banten, sit out in the sun or participate in water sports.
- Curug Cigumawang Waterfall – A waterfall in Anyer with an elevation of 344 meters. Wade in the water or bike along the nearby trails.
- Marbella Hotel – Has an outdoor pool and play area for children.
- Go parasailing in the Java Sea off Anyer.
- Dive in the waters off Pulau Sangeang to see coral formations.
- Arrange to go deep-sea diving at nearby Sanghyang.
- Play tennis at the courts available at nearby hotels like the Patra Anyer Beach Resort.
- Get in a round at the Permata Krakatau Golf Course.
Celebrate the coming of the Chinese New Year with Imlek in late January or early February.
For the Prophet Mohammed’s birthday bash, make sure you’re in Anyer for the Maulud Nabi Muhammed festivities in April.
For a hit of culture, sun and sand, nothing beats July’s Anyer Festival.
If gaining independence from the Dutch isn’t a good reason to party, Anyer doesn’t know what is! See what all the fuss is about at the Indonesian Independence Day in August.
You don’t have to understand the significance to enjoy the party at the Lebaran celebrationsin October.
When To Go
Summer in Anyer is sizzling, with temperatures averaging 30°C (86°F). The hottest month is usually June.
During the monsoon season, daytime temperatures are still high, but the semi-constant downpours cool things off a bit.
The mildest weather in Anyer can usually be enjoyed around January and February.
There are plenty of taxis in Anyer that can get you around relatively cheaply.
Most of the spectacular scenery in Anyer can be enjoyed with a stroll along the beachfront.
To explore the outer regions at your own pace, a rental car is an excellent option.
Set on the western edge of Java Island, Marbella Hotel Convention & Spa Anyer offers a luxury Mediterranean paradise perfect for business and leisure travellers heading to Anyer. Holidaymakers can... More