The principal city of Iceland is one of the most beautiful world capitals, with a phenomenal coastal and peninsula location that is without peer. Subpolar Reykjavik is a remarkable city, where geography is just one notable attraction. As the capital and central city in Iceland, Reykjavik is the pulse point of the country and home to over 60% of the national population.
As a result, the rich culture of the island nation just south of the Arctic Circle is most prominent in Rekjavik. Evident in literature, art, music and cuisine, the proud heritage of Iceland unfolds around every corner in the wonderful capital city. From the National Museum of Iceland to the National and University Library, open air árbæjarsafn museum and Perlan Saga Museum, the city's attractions are plentiful and diverse. Reykjavik's excellent restaurant and bar scene however, famous all over Europe, is where authentic and unforgettable experiences occur for most visitors.
- Open Air Folk Museum - Take a look at all the different eras of Icelandic history.
- Parliament House - Said to be the oldest parliamentary institution in the world.
- Iono Building - This Neo-Classic-styled structure is one the most picturesque in the city.
- Saga Museum - Depicting famous figures of Icelandic history.
- Reykjavik City Museum - Full of fascinating pieces.
Reykjavik Art & Culture
- Asgrims Jonssonar - The former home of the post-impressionist painter is now a museum and well worth a visit for any tourist.
- Church of Hallgrimur - The imposing building is simply breathtaking.
- Culture House - Possesses displays of some of the Icelandic Sagas, although it should be noted that not all are translated.
- National Theatre of Iceland - An elegant and striking building with productions in English and Icelandic throughout the year.
- Statue of Viking Ingolfur Arnarson - Dominating the centre of Reykjavik.
- Kringlan - Most people head to this main mall with hundreds of stores of diverse selections.
- Islandia - Definitely the best place to get your Reykjavik souvenirs, located within the main mall.
- Eggbert - Grab yourself a fur coat from the city’s specialists.
- Laugavegur - The place to head for the popular Icelandic jumper with some of the best deals available.
- The Nordic Store - This shop has everything you could wish to find connected with this part of the world at its location in Laekjartorg.
Gay & Lesbian Reykjavik
- MSC - This is a leather club for men only and attracts a regular crowd.
- Cafe Cozy - This is a mixed gay and straight bar with a really good atmosphere.
- Q Bar - Popular pub with DJs every Wednesday and Saturday, but the noise levels are quite welcoming.
- Cafe Truno - Bar that has made quite a name for itself at Laugavegur and seems to be fairly packed most nights of the week.
- Samtökin ’78 - An established gay bar maintaining a loyal customer base of Reykjavik regulars.
- The Pearl - This is the best place to visit for views across the city from the fabulous viewing platform at the top.
- Einar Jonsson Gardens - Provides a lovely evening in the outdoors with its wonderful sculptures and landscapes.
- Whale Watching - Take a tour to get into the feel of the place.
- Blue Lagoon - Just outside the city is somewhere most visitors to Reykjavik go, with its pleasantly warm thermal waters all year round.
- Gullfoss Golden Waterfall - This is a truly spectacular sight that simply cannot be missed.
- Horseback-riding classes go down very well at the Islenski Hesturinn, making for an excellent day out.
- Graforholt Golf course offers the opportunity to play under the midnight sun during the summer months, presenting an unforgettable experience.
- Attempt a bit of river rafting on the Hvita glacier River for great fun and excitement.
- In winter, the outdoor ponds freeze over and Reykjavik comes out en masse for ice skating.
- The tennis courts in and around the city attract locals and tourists alike.
- The Hallgrímskirkja
- The Perlan
- National Museum of Iceland
- National and University Library of Iceland
- Food and Fun Festival
- Winter Lights Festival
- First Day of Summer Festival
- Reykholt Music Festival
- Iceland Jazz Festival
- Café Cultura
- Bar 11
- Club 101
- The Celtic Cross
While summers are not exactly hot in Reykjavik, the city enjoys milder winters than the vast majority of visitors expect.
- Winter (December to February) -2-3°C
- Spring (March to May) -2-9°C
- Summer (June to September) 5-13°C
- Fall (October to November) -1-8°C
CenterHotel Midgardur is ideally located in the heart of the city within short walking distance to the main attractions in Reykjavik. The location makes the hotel the ideal choice for visitors who... More
Ingolfsstrti 1 Map
Airport Transfer Available At A Surcharge
Hotel Arnarhvoll Reykjavik offers fine location, friendly service and view overlooking the Reykjavik Bay and the mountain ridges. It is also accessible for exploring the historic centre, shops,... More
Offering an utmost comfort, convenience and quality service, Hotel Reykjavik Centrum makes you to feel at home. GeneralHotel Reykjavik Centrum offers well-equipped meeting rooms that can... More
outstanding in every respect
Fron Hotel Reykjavik provides travellers contemporary living positioned in the major shopping, art and culture district in this part of Iceland. From the chic Reykjavik hotel, tourists can venture... More
lovely lovely lovely
Vatnsstigur 11 Map
IMPORTANT! Check-in Instructions on confirmation
Whether in Reykjavik for business or leisure, travellers find an ideal base at Welcome Apartments Reykjavik with minimalist modern accommodations and easy access to cultural attractions and... More
Small apartment, great location
Featuring an elegant decor and a warm hospitality, Fosshotel Baron welcomes you for an unforgettable vacation. GeneralSpacious parking space is also available onsite for guests with their own... More
Room With a View was established in 1994 and has grown considerably since. We offer you fully equipped apartments, all different in size and design. The hotel is known for its personal service and... More
The Einholt Apartment Reykjavik is a charming and friendly property that offers unsurpassed service and comfortable accommodation to make your stay a memorable one. GeneralThe lobby area of... More
Reykjavik Marina offers a modern base with easy access to city attractions and public transport. Tourists staying in Reykjavik should not miss seeing the important collections and art exhibits at... More
Combining chic spaces and leisure facilities in ideal location in Reykjavik city centre, Reykjavik Natura makes for an ideal base for travellers visiting the Iceland capital. This contemporary... More
Fischer was here
Refine your search
- Parliament House of Iceland hotels
- Reykjavík's City Hall hotels
- Reykjavik Art Museum hotels
- Reykjavík Cathedral hotels
- National Gallery of Iceland hotels
- Fríkirkjan í Reykjavík hotels
- National Museum hotels
- National Theatre of Iceland hotels
- Harpa Iceland hotels
- Hallgrimskirkja hotels
- Skólavörðustígur hotels
- Landakot's Church hotels