Rhodes Island General Information
The UNESCO World Heritage Medieval City of Rhodes is the flagship attraction on the island of the same name and easily one of the most extraordinary gems in Greece’s ample arsenal. The capital of the Dodecanese archipelago is a short ferry ride from Muğla Province, Turkey and, most notably, the popular coastal towns of Fethiye and Marmaris.
With a population of 80,000 people, the city of Rhodes (or Rodos) dominates the island. The rest of the island’s 40,000 or so inhabitants live in small towns and villages like Ialysos, Afantou, Archangelos and Kremasti. While a tour of the island is a must, the venerable capital city justifiably absorbs most of the attention. Incomparable landmarks in Rhodes span the Roman Empire, Byzantine Period, Knights of Rhodes Era and Ottoman Empire. The layout of the old city transports visitors back in time and features inimitable points of interest like the Acropolis, Palace of the Grand Master of the Knights of Rhodes, Kahal Shalom Synagogue and La Juderia quarter. The Archaeological Museum and Museum of Decorative Arts stand out as worthwhile as well.
- Acropolis of Rhodes – This site dates from the Hellenistic period and contains the Temple of Apollo.
- Palace of the Grand Masters – Built in the 14th century, the palace was rebuilt following an explosion in 1856.
- Kritinia Castle – A popular Venetian structure located near to Kritinia village.
- Monolithos Castle – The castle ruins are perched atop a hill and are accessible via a narrow pathway.
- Kamiros – This ancient city on Rhodes was destroyed by the earthquakes in the 3rd or 2nd century BC.
Rhodes Art & Culture
- Archaeological Museum – The Parian marble statue, “Aphrodite of Rhodes”, is a favourite attraction in this impressive museum.
- Decorative Arts Museum – This museum is home to an array of Dodecanese treasures.
- Museums of Modern Greek Art – Comprised of three venues showcasing Greek art in the centre of the Medieval Town region.
- Muslim Library – This library features a large collection of Arabic and Persian scripts.
- National Theatre of Rhodes – This grand-looking theatre hosts both theatrical performances and films.
- Old Town – Crammed full of stalls and booths selling souvenirs to handicrafts.
- Afandou – This Rhodes village is where souvenirs and traditional treasures can be found.
- Archangelos – Authentic Greek goods can be discovered here.
- Lindos – This village contains a selection of shops, including supermarkets and jewellers.
- New Market – Avid shoppers should visit this Kyprou Square market to pick up all the latest fashions.
Gay & Lesbian Rhodes
- Red and Blue – A friendly gay bar which is host to regular themed nights.
- Berlin Bar – A popular gay bar featuring a nice ambiance.
- Bessara – This gay-friendly bar caters to a mixed crowd and has dancing.
- La Plaz Beach Bar – Beach parties are held at this bar located on Afandou Beach.
- Faliraki Beach – Home to a nude beach area that attracts gay men.
- Afandou Beach – This sand and pebble beach offers a tranquil place for swimming, devoid of water sports facilities.
- Agathi Beach – This beach is known for its beautiful golden sand and clear waters, ideal for those who wish to snorkel.
- Ixia Beach – One of Rhodes’ best beaches for enjoying water sports activities.
- Mount Attavyros – Tourists can take the trek up this mountain and enjoy the magnificent views along the way.
- Kremasti Funfair – This delightful outdoor attraction is held during the Panagia Festival in mid-August of each year.
- Get your fill of golf at the Afandou Village Golf Course, a par-73 golf course featuring 18 holes and spanning 6,220 metres.
- Watch Diagoras GS football team in action at the Diagoras Stadium.
- Take a catamaran sailing lesson at the Kiotari Water Sports Centre.
- Enjoy scuba diving in Kalithea Bay, reachable from Mandraki Harbour.
- Surf the waters at Gennadi and especially at Prasonissos Beach.
- Acropolis of Rhodes
- Archaeological Museum of Rhodes
- Inn of the Order of the Tongue of Italy
- Palace of the Grand Master of the Knights of Rhodes
- Museum of Decorative Arts
- Lindos Beach
- Afandou Beach
- Ladiko Beach
- Kolymbia Beach
- Tsambika Beach
- Restaurant Agalma
- Mythos Restaurant
- Aspro Piato
- Kalypso Restaurant
- Melenos Lindos Restaurant
- Down Under Bar
- Red Lion
- Resalto Club
- Mango Cafe Bar
- King Arthur’s Club
Rhodes Island has a Mediterranean climate, with mild, wet winters and hot, dry summers.
- Winter (December to February) 9-16°C
- Spring (March to May) 11-23°C
- Summer (June to September) 20-29°C
- Fall (October to November) 13-24°C
Explore Rhodes by location
See other Rhodes hotels
233 hotels in Rhodes
Creating an ideal atmosphere for a relaxing stay, this property is the right choice of accommodation, while visiting Rhodes. GeneralConference facilities are also available for people on business... More
Featuring elegant accommodations with picturesque area views, Alexia Premier City Hotel Rhodes makes for a suitable base for travellers exploring the historic island of Rhodes. Visitors at this... More
Agla Hotel Rhodes is situated in the heart of the heart and offers comfortable accommodation. This property is located just 50 metres away from the beach. The hotel has easy access to many famous... More
Ibiscus Hotel Rhodes Island is an ideal choice for those wishing to combine the advantages of a city hotel with that of a beachfront location. GeneralAt your free time you can tour the nearby... More
Atlantis City Hotel Rhodes offers luxurious accommodation and friendly services for travellers in Rhodes. This hotel enjoys a good place in the heart of the city for both business and leisure... More
With tasteful accommodations and beachfront location, Mediterranean Hotel Rhodes makes for an ideal getaway for a holiday in the Rhodes Island. From this sophisticated hotel, tourists can explore... More
Holidaymakers enjoy the elegant accommodations at Mitsis La Vita Beach Hotel Rhodes, conveniently set within easy access to Rhodos Beach and must-see attractions in Rhodes. Tourists exploring this... More
Business and leisure travellers looking for a suitable base while visiting Rhodes Island can stay at Oktober Hotel Rhodes. This value-for-money hotel is close to the Palace of the Grand Master of... More
Located in the heart of Rhodes Town, next to the Famous Medieval town, sandy beach, shopping centre and bustling nightlife, the Semiramis Hotel Rhodes with its amenities and services is perfectly... More