As the former home of names like Daimler, Benz, Porsche and Maybach, Stuttgart's reputation as the cradle of the automobile is certainly not without merit. The city with a metropolitan population of almost 3 million people has two world class museums that welcome scores of automobile aficionados every year. The Porsche and Mercedes-Benz museums however, while both impressive, compete with a bevy of other terrific attractions in superb Stuttgart.
The inner city is laden with landmarks, from the State Opera House to the Old Castle. Start from the central Schlossplatz and make your way around the historic heart of Stuttgart from there in order to catch a glimpse of the most important attractions in the city. Even a cursory walk around central Stuttgart will take you past a wonderful array of parks and gardens, for which the city is famous. As a cultural hub, Stuttgart also hosts a slew of festivals throughout the year and has many must-see museums, most notably in the form of the Old State Gallery.
- Grabkapelle Wurttemberg – This chapel was built on the site of King Willhelm's castle.
- Neues Schloss – This three-storey home was once a royal residence and is home to the state government offices.
- Olgabau – An area of the city that is home to some interesting 1950s architecture.
- Instrumenten Museum – The museum is housed in a former wine depot building.
- Staatsgalerie – This museum has one of the finest 20thcentury collections you will see.
Stuttgart Art & Culture
- Mercedes-Benz Museum – This museum is a must-see for luxury car enthusiasts.
- Konigsbau Passagen – The mall has a very up-market collection of shops.
- Porsche Museum – Another museum for luxury car enthusiasts, this features an open design for a thrilling experience.
- Kunstmuseum Stuttgart – This museum offers quite a collection of contemporary artwork.
- Wurttembergischer Kunstverein – The museum offers a contemporary exhibit and has a fascinating copper copula.
- Konigstrasse – A popular street for shopping and pedestrians only.
- Stilwerk – If you love shopping for home furnishings, this is the place to visit, with several shops under one roof.
- Markthalle – Should you decide to enjoy a picnic, you can buy everything you need here.
- Brunnenhannes – Have you wanted to try traditional Bavarian clothing? This is the place to go.
- Feinkost Bohm – You can stock up on beer, deli meats, wine and, of course, chocolate at this shop.
Gay & Lesbian Stuttgart
- King's Club – Stop by King's Club for a mixed crowd that enjoys house music and likes to stay out late.
- Stuttgart Gay Pride – The festival runs during late July and early August. You won't want to miss the exciting opening show.
- Rubens – Visit this cafe and lounge for a nice experience that includes good food and company.
- Bernstein – This is one of the most popular gay-friendly restaurants in the city.
- Pfiff – Another bar that also serves bistro food with some of the nicest service you could ask for.
- Max-Eyth-See – This park is a beautiful picnic spot in Stuttgart and has bike trails.
- Wilhelma Zoologisch-Botanischer Garden – This favourite spot offers a mixture of botanical gardens with unusual plants and a zoo.
- Schillerplatz – Here you can see a statue of the poet Friedrich Schiller.
- Mittlerer Schlossgarten – This beautiful park has several fountains, walkways and its own beer garden.
- Unterer Schlossgarten – The popular outdoor spot has several kilometres of walkways and connects to the zoo.
- Stuttgart is ideal for walkers and runners who can take advantage of its developed walkway system.
- The Neckar River beckons to those who enjoy spending time on the water.
- Visit the home of the Reds and the Blues, the city's two football clubs, at the Gottlieb-Daimler Stadium.
- Inline skating is offered every Thursday night along some of the city's most popular walkways.
- Show jumping is a popular sport in the city that horse lovers will not want to miss.
- New Castle
- Old Castle
- Castle Rosentein
- Ludwigsburg Palace
- Old State Gallery
- Stuttgart Ballet
- Wine Village
- Lantern Festival
- VfB Stuttgart Football
- Café Stella
- Zur Weinsteige
Stuttgart has a predictable continental climate, with four distinct seasons.
- Winter (December to February) -3-4°C
- Spring (March to May) 0-17°C
- Summer (June to September) 10-23°C
- Fall (October to November) 0-14°C
47 hotels in Stuttgart,
Conveniently located at the crossroads of the two famous boulevards, Dormero Hotel Stuttgart with its light-hearted ambiance is an ideal place for a pleasant and relaxing stay. GeneralOffering... More
The ARCOTEL Camino Stuttgart, in the heart of Europe's greenest big cities offers modern accommodation and recreational facilities like spa centre with fitness equipment, sauna, solarium and steam... More
Take a trip to this lively and culture-rich Germany city and book a stay at the inviting accommodations of Novum Hotel Boulevard Stuttgart City. This cosy Stuttgart hotel positions travellers... More
Creating a feeling of well-being at the highest level with fantastic all-round service, the Steigenberger Graf Zeppelin Hotel Stuttgart offers elegant accommodation and modern facilities to make... More
Reconciling wonderful amenities as well as contemporary refinement in a casual and classic atmosphere, the Mercure Hotel Stuttgart City Center is the ideal accommodation choice for a peaceful... More
Nestled close to the lush Palace Garden, Althoff Am Schlossgarten Hotel Stuttgart offers luxurious accommodations to discerning business and leisure travellers looking for a tranquil oasis in the... More
With cosy rooms set close to Stuttgart city centre and major transport options, Novum Hotel Rieker Stuttgart Hauptbahnhof makes for a suitable starting point for discerning travellers in this... More
Golden Leaf Hotel Stuttgart Airport & Messe is a modern property in Fasanenhof, only 5 kilometres from the railway station and 7 kilometres from the airport. Some of the attractions in the... More
Maritim Hotel Stuttgart offers travellers accommodations in an exquisite setting and modern comforts in a convenient location. The hotel is within a short distance to many attractions including... More