Home to over half a million people, Nuremberg is a major city in Bavaria, Germany. Familiar to many outside of the country for war crimes trials that took place in the city after World War Two, Nuremberg is nonetheless famous for many other reasons. For one, the city has a rich history that dates back more than a thousand years, with many superb landmarks to explore as a result.
Start with elaborate Nuremberg Castle. The most prominent point of interest in the city is a superb complex, with three main parts and sections that originate in the 12th century. The Frauenkirche, or Church of Our Lady, was built at the behest of the Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV in the mid-14th century and remains one of the most remarkable Gothic structures in Germany. Even older still is medieval St. Sebaldus Church, built between 1230 and 1275. As Nuremberg's many fine shops, restaurants and bars will reveal however, the city is quite modern cosmopolitan, despite the age of some city landmarks.
- German Railway Museum – Situated on Lessingstrasse, it tells the story of the development of the German rail network and the role the railways played in Nazi Germany.
- Lorenzkirche – One of Nuremberg’s most-known buildings. This church of St Laurence dates back to the 13th century and contains historic relics of great interest to the many visitors.
- Johannisfriedhof – This medieval cemetery houses the graves of some important figures in Nuremberg’s history, such as writer Albrecht Dürer.
- Nuremberg Castle – Made of up several buildings that are architectural delights, a museum showing the history of the city and a two-floor chapel.
- City Wall – See what guarded Nuremberg from attacks during the 13th to 16th centuries.
Nuremberg Art & Culture
- Cinicitta – Europe’s largest multiplex cinema can be found at Katharinengasse.
- International Organ Week – A week-long yearly celebration of organ music held in May.
- Spielzeugmuseum – This toy museum on Karlstraße gives an excellent view of children’s culture through the ages.
- Neues Museum – This art museum on Luitpoldstraße holds an interesting contemporary art collection.
- Staatstheater Nürnberg – The Nuremberg State Theatre puts on a host of performances throughout the year.
- Troedelmarkt – A shopping area full of small jewellery, gift and toy shops.
- Prager Kunstsalon – This cool boutique has fashion-conscious clothing and homeware.
- Christkindlmarkt – This annual German Christmas fair at Nuremberg Main Market Square is the place for unusual and handmade gift and decorations.
- Hauptmarkt – This famous market sells brilliant gingerbread and Nuremberg souvenirs.
- Galeria Kaufhof – One of Nuremberg’s most popular department stores has everything.
Gay & Lesbian Nuremberg
- Estragon – This gay restaurant is a fashionable place to eat in Nuremberg.
- Bert’s – A small and friendly gay bar on Wiesenstr.
- Ringhotel Loew's Merkur – This gay-friendly hotel Pillenreuther Strasse is an excellent luxury city centre base.
- Vicking Club – A gay night club for a fun, distinguished crowd on Reindelstr.
- Sauna Club 67 – A discreet sauna and meeting place for gay men on Pirckheimer Strasse.
- Rock im Park – This yearly outdoor rock event attracts 60,000 revellers.
- Stadtpark – This green park runs along the River Pegnitz and is perfect for sunbathing or a picnic.
- Tiergarten – The zoo is a real treat for children. You can reach it by bus or subway.
- Cramer-Klett Park – Watch outdoor puppet shows in this popular park.
- Canal Cruises – Many canal cruises run on the RMD canal in the summer months.
- Watch an FC Nuremberg football match at Franken Stadium.
- Cheer on the rally drivers at the annual Norisring DTM Speedweekend every June and July.
- Watch the ‘Round The Old Town’ cycle race with 100,000 fellow spectators each September.
- Enjoy a game of ice hockey and support the local German League team, the Nuremberg Ice Tigers, at the Nuremberg Arena.
- Hit the courts at the popular TC Noris Weiss-Blau Tennis Club on Georg-Buchner-Straße.
- Nuremberg Castle
- St. Sebaldus Church
- Germanisches Nationalmuseum
- Tiergarten Nuumlrnberg
- Old Town Festival
- Rock im Park
- International Human Rights Film Festival
- Bratwursth Aumlusle
- Heilig Geist Spital
- Balazzo Brozzi
- Das Mohr
- Blauer Adler
- Mach I
With cold winters and hot, humid summers, Nuremberg enjoys a climate quite typical for Germany.
- Winter (December to February) -9-3°C
- Spring (March to May) -4-21°C
- Summer (June to September) 9-28°C
- Fall (October to November) -1-17°C
Nuremberg On Wikipedia
Nuremberg official guide
Explore Nuremberg by location
See other Nuremberg hotels
29 hotels in Nuremberg
Travellers in Nuremberg can explore with ease by setting base at Holiday Inn Express NUREMBERG CITY - HAUPTBAHNHOF, a modern property with comfortably furnished accommodations set in the heart of... More
Presenting comfortable accommodation in a cosy, family-like atmosphere, the Park Inn By Radisson Nuernberg Hotel is an ideal place to reside for both business as well as leisure travellers. ... More
Set amidst a rich history of the city, once a meeting place for the Holy Roman Empire of Germany, the Le Meridien Grand Hotel Nuremberg is refreshed with a commitment to focus on delivering the... More
Providing comfortable accommodations and accessible location, Azimut Hotel Nuernberg makes for a suitable base for travellers on vacation or business trip in Nuremberg. This value-for-money hotel... More
Centrally situated at Lorenzer Altstadt in Nuremberg's Old City, A&O Nuernberg Hauptbahnhof Hotel & Hostel provides quick and convenient access to area attractions. From the property, guests can... More
Offering high standards of accommodation and quality services, this property welcomes you for an unforgettable holiday in a quiet location in Nuremberg. GeneralThe hotel offers 7 individually... More
With inviting and self-contained accommodations, Derag Livinghotel Maximilian makes for a convenient base for visitors looking to explore the vibrant city centre of Nuremberg, Germany. This... More
Combining exceptional accommodation with welcoming atmosphere, the Woehrdersee Mercure Nuermberg creates a setting of sophistication and exclusivity to make your stay an unforgettable experience. ... More
Maritim Hotel Nuremberg enables you to enjoy a stay with spectacular views, luxury features, striking architectural design and a world-class construction quality. GeneralThe property provides a... More