One of countless attractions in Germany, Hannover has to compete with a host of brilliant destinations in the country for attention. Still, in a nation famous for priceless cultural contributions, the capital of Lower Saxony is easy to discover and love. The city on the river Leine is home to more than 500,000 people and as such, is a major hub in northern Germany. With roots in the medieval era, the cityscape is rich with architectural eye candy and memorable landmarks. Despite that, anyone who takes the time to enjoy the view from the observation platform of New Town Hall will attest to the fact that Hannover is a modern, dynamic city.
The Royal Gardens of Herrenhausen is one of the main focal points and star attractions in the city. The massive complex dates back to the Kingdom of Hannover in the late 17th century and offers a lot for visitors to explore. Hanover Zoo is one of the best in Europe, if not the world, and welcomes millions of people every year.
- Castle Marienburg – This neo-Gothic historical building will transport visitors into the past. Take a comprehensive tour of the castle to view its grand interior.
- City Hall – Take the lift to the dome for striking city views.
- Leibniz House – Located near the Historical Museum, this house is the former residence of Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz.
- Historical Museum – This museum traces the history of Hannover from the 12th century to the present day.
- University of Hannover – The main university building was the winter palace residence of the kings of Hannover.
Hannover Art & Culture
- Landesmuseum – Home to a mix of different exhibitions, including a prehistorical exhibition that focuses on Low Saxony.
- Sprengel Museum – Features works from Picasso.
- Blindenmuseum – This fascinating museum shows the ways in which blind people have been educated both in the past and modern times.
- Hannover Opera – This opera house plays host to operas, ballets and classic music concerts.
- The Nanas – Found at the Leibnizufer, these giant sculptures are certainly worth a visit.
- Ernst August Galerie – Located next to Central Station, this huge mall is filled with avid shoppers.
- Galeria Kaufhof – This large department store is particularly popular during the weekend.
- Galerie Luise – Elegant boutique stores can be found here.
- Leine River flea market – Held every Saturday, this flea market is dominated by antiques and electronic goods.
- Horstman and Sander – Some of Hannover’s greatest leather goods can be found here.
Gay & Lesbian Hannover
- Hannover Gay Pride – Typically held in August of each year, the festival is a highlight for the gay and lesbian community.
- Schwule – Situated in the university district, this gay and lesbian bar is popular with tourists and locals alike.
- Two Faces – This gay-friendly bar attracts all ages.
- Fire – With a terrace garden area, this gay-friendly bar is the perfect place to relax with friends. Discos and drag artists can be found here at the weekend.
- Fever – Dance the night away at this 18 to 30 bar.
- Rubber Duck Race – In July of each year, hundreds of rubber ducks race against one another on the river Leine.
- Reincarnation Parade – This one-day techno street party takes place each year in the summer.
- Hannover Zoo – A modern zoo home to 2,000 animals. Check out the Christmas events at the zoo.
- The Great Garden of Herrenhausen – World-famous garden created in the 17th century.
- City Park – The ideal place to relax on a sunny day and the perfect escape from the bustling city centre.
- Catch the Hannover 96 football club at the AWD Arena.
- Check out the skills of the FC Schwalbe rugby team at the Bezirkssportanlage Döhren.
- Visit the TUI Arena to see the Hannover Scorpions ice hockey team.
- Watch the Hannover Indians ice hockey team at their base in the city.
- Support the runners in the Hannover Marathon if visiting in May.
- Herrenhausen Gardens
- Hanover Zoo
- Old Town
- Lower Saxony State Museum
- Schützenfest Hannover
- Hanover Cabaret Festival
- Maschsee Festival
- Waterloo Biergarten
- Lister Turm Biergarten
- Bolero Bar
- Heartbreak Hotel
Hannover has a mild continental climate, with moderate conditions throughout the year.
- Winter (December to February) -2-4°C
- Spring (March to May) 0-17°C
- Summer (June to September) 9-22°C
- Fall (October to November) 2-13°C
Hannover - General information
27 hotels in Hanover, DE
Centrally located close to the picturesque Lake Maschsee, Courtyard by Marriott Hannover makes for an convenient retreat for travellers in this Lower Saxony capital. Holidaymakers can view notable... More
Featuring a marvellous location and a relaxed friendly atmosphere, the Suite Novotel Hannover, which offers the perfect blend of charm and elegance, is an ideal spot for an enjoyable vacation. ... More
Chic and contemporary, InterCityHotel Hannover makes for an ideal base for discerning business and leisure travellers while in the heart of Hannover. This hotel features deluxe accommodations,... More
Combining excellent service with high-end technology, the Mercure Hotel Hannover Mitte offers its guests comfortable accommodation that is ideal for weary travellers. GeneralMake your meeting more... More
Maritim Grand Hotel Hannover is a chic hotel that offers upscale services and elegantly appointed accommodations conveniently set in the city centre. This Hannover hotel places guests just a few... More
Crowne Plaza Hannover Hotel offers elegant and charming accommodations in Hanover City. The hotel boasts of its world-class spa and massage treatments at its Health and Beauty Spa. Famous... More
Hotel Koenigshof Am Funkturm Hannover is situated in the heart of city centre. The hotel offers all the essentials for a pleasant and comfortable stay. The old town and the shopping areas are... More
This hotel with its excellent location and exclusive equipment ensures the fastidious individual traveller and the demanding business guest a successful stay. GeneralDue to its perfect location... More
Flaunting a unique 19th century architecture, the Mercure Hotel Hannover City offers guests a great locale in addition to splendid accommodation and facilities, thus making it an ideal base to... More