The area was founded in the 12th century to guard the bridge, and is named for the Saxons that used to live here at the time. The old part of town managed to survive British bombings in WWII. Because of this, Sachsenhausen is one of the few places in Frankfurt that you can still experience the feel of old Germany, with pastel-coloured buildings dating from the 19th century, and dim pubs. Sachsenhausen is known for its fountains and nightlife: enjoy a beer or meal in one of over two dozen bars taverns or restaurants, most serving the local apfelwein brew!
- Visit the Sachsenhausen Fountain Festival that takes place in the summer months: a procession, a fountain queen, and a large agenda of things to enjoy!
- Tour the Ikonenmuseum, or Museum of Icons; in a small Frankfurt museum with a large collection of icons, guided tours are available with prior arrangement.
- Take a guided tour of the Stäedelmuseum and experience collections that include old masterworks to contemporary paintings to photography: you will need to register in advance for guided tours.
Frankfurt is a small city with good public transportation. From the airport, you can get to the city by taxi, Bus Line 61to Frankfurt Südbahnhof, or by Lines S8 or S9 if the S-Bahn Commuter trains. Once in Frankfurt, there are several hotels in and near the Sachsenhausen district, and the district itself is easily walked. To get to the district other parts of Frankfurt, take the train or the bus and leave your car behind: parking is extremely limited, and getting around can be difficult as locals will park anywhere they can find space – legally or not!
What travelers to Sachsenhausen are saying
Grosse Rittergasse 19-21 Map
Set in a central location, Novum Hotel Primus Frankfurt Sachsenhausen makes for an ideal starting point for travellers seeking to explore the historic city of Frankfurt. Tourists at this modern... More
Walther-von-Cronberg-Platz 1 Map
Advanced Booking - Save 30% incl. free WiFi
Lindner Hotel and Residence Main Plaza invites corporate and leisure travellers to contemporary spaces set close to local attractions in Frankfurt. This elegant hotel places holidaymakers within... More
Leonardo Royal Hotel Frankfurt is one of the leading addresses in hotels offering conference and seminar facilities in the Main metropolis. GeneralLeonardo Royal Hotel Frankfurt has a conference... More
Gerbermuehle Hotel Frankfurt is an ideal location for perfect nights and rewarding days, whose character has been stylistically and aesthetically blended, merging tradition and innovation to form... More
Refine your search
- Stadel Art Institute hotels
- Städel hotels
- Liebieghaus hotels
- Bahnhofsviertel hotels
- Hauptwache hotels
- Museumsufer hotels
- MyZeil hotels
- Museum für Moderne Kunst hotels
- Altstadt hotels
- Romer hotels
- Frankfurter Dom hotels
- Karlsruhe central station hotels