What travelers to Dusseldorf are saying
The capital of the North Rhine-Westphalia state in Germany is a dense little metropolis of nearly 600,000 people. Dusseldorf, the foremost economic powerhouse on the river Rhine, is all pinstripes and loafers by day. After dusk the city cuts loose however, with some of the best nightlife in the country.
A nexus of telecommunications and fashion, physical signs of Dusseldorf’s financial and commercial importance to the overall economy of Germany are everywhere. A thoroughly modern skyline of steel and glass frame a network of international banks, up-market real estate and designer shops. Thankfully, the city has some terrific architecture and enough theatres and museums to warrant more than an overnight stay.
- Oberkassel – The historic neighbourhood of Duesseldorf with art nouveau architecture everywhere.
- The Rider Statue – The Rider is the oldest statue in Duesseldorf, depicting Prince Jan Wellem on his horse.
- St Lambertus Basilika – This church marks the 14th-century expansion of Duesseldorf.Town Hall – Built in 1537, this building in the Altstadt (Old Town) offers regular tours.
- EKO-House – Europe’s first Buddhist temple offers guided tours of the temple and its Japanese garden.
Duesseldorf Art & Culture
- Stadtschloss – This museum on Bergeralle houses several works of Rembrandt and Rubens.
- Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-Westfalen – This art museum is the home of avant-garde artists in a variety of mediums.
- Museum Kunstpalast – Another of Duesseldorf's art museums offers more than 450 works dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Duesseldorf Schauspielhaus – The year-round theatre for young people aged 18 to 30.
- Tonhalle – This concert hall is the home of the Duesseldorf Symphony Orchestra.
- Königsallee – Duesseldorf’s luxury shopping street.
- Christmas Market – Shop at the legendary Christmas Market every winter at Schadowstrasse.
- Karlstadt – This district is full of antique shops and a real treasure hunter’s paradise.
- Carsch House – One of Duesseldorf’s most popular department stores.
- Les Halle – A Saturday morning French flea market.
Gay & Lesbian Duesseldorf
- K1 Club – This gay club on Bismarckstrasse is the place to go for karaoke.
- Infidelity – This homey café/bar on Grupellostr is the place to meet other gay and lesbian people in Duesseldorf.
- Eve’s Club – Legendary women-only nights are provided by this party venue on Nachtresidenz Bahnstr.
- Pink Monday – Monday during The Largest Fair on the Reine in July is gay and lesbian day.
- Phoenix Sauna – A discreet gay Finnish sauna on Platanenstr.
- Rheinuferpromenade – Take a boat trip or go for a stroll along this attractive promenade.
- Hofgarten – The court garden is the biggest city park in Duesseldorf.
- North Park- Don’t miss out on seeing the beautiful Japanese garden in this park on the bank of the Reine.
- Benrath Palace and Park – Visit the palace gardens, which are 62,000 square metres.
- One of the many walking tours will allow you to explore outdoors and learn at the same time.
- Run the Duesseldorf Marathon in May each year.
- See the Duesseldorf Giants basketball team play at Burg Waechter Castello.
- Catch Duesseldorf’s German Ice Hockey League team, the DEG Metro Stars, at the ISS Dome.
- Play the course at the popular Duesseldorf-Grafenberg Golf Club.
- Cheer on Duesseldorf’s football team Fortuna Duesseldorf at the ESPRIT Arena.
A former Baroque palace is the opulent locale of the excellent Johann Wolfgang von Goethe Museum. The extraordinary philosopher and writer was a proud Dusseldorf native.
The Dusseldorf Film Museum has a fine collection of cinema artifacts that date back over a century.
The Altstadt is the foremost borough in Dusseldorf for beer lovers, with many bars that serve the icon city beverage of choice. The Old Town quarter is also notable for attractions that include the Gothic Basilica St. Lambertus, City Hall and fine State Art Academy.
The Museum Kunst Palast has a superb collection of relics and works of art from around the world that herald from the Age of Antiquity to today.
On the flipside, Kunstsammlung NRW is the cool, über-modern home for works of art from the 20th and 21st century.
A city full of parks, Hofgarten is the most visible green space and recreation area in Dusseldorf, within close proximity to many boroughs of interest.
Benrath Palace in south Dusseldorf was the neo-Baroque summer home of a major aristocrat that today serves the general public at large with gardens and park space.
Konigsallee, or “Ko” to city residents, is the preeminent retail street in Dusseldorf. Full of designer shops and big labels, the area has a reputation as major fashion capital in Europe.
The Carnival tradition in Germany lives in Dusseldorf with a slew of events between New Year’s Day and Ash Wednesday in February.
6 Tage Oper is a six day festival in June that celebrates modern opera and experimental classical music, with performances throughout Dusseldorf.
Over 100,000 people attend a popular youth festival in September, with a plethora of events in the Old Town.
German Unity Day on October 3 celebrates the union of East and West Germany in 1990 with several big events around the city.
The Christmas season is a festive time in Dusseldorf, with a typical Old Europe yuletide market in the middle of town.
Life on the river Rhine signals four full seasons in Dusseldorf. Thankfully the temperature rarely dips below 0°C in winter. Summer heat waves can occur with regular frequency.
- Winter (November to February) 0-8°C
- Spring (March to April) 2-14°C
- Summer (May to August) 8-23°C
- Fall (September to October) 7.5-18°C
Duesseldorf - General information
Explore Dusseldorf with ease by setting base at Novum Hotel Flora Duesseldorf, offering well-appointed units, convenient services and central location. From this city centre hotel, holidaymakers... More
Centrally located, Best Western Savoy Hotel Duesseldorf makes for an ideal starting point for discerning travellers looking to explore the historic city of Duesseldorf. While in this part of... More
Novum Hotel Maxim Duesseldorf City welcomes travellers to modern spaces set close to the bustling Dusseldorf city centre. Tourists at this Germany hotel take photos of scenic cityscapes at the... More
Graf Adolf Strasse 94 Map
Stay 3 save 15%
With a focus on quality and comfortable living, the Novum Business Hotel Madison Duesseldorf Hauptbahnhof offers facilities that contribute to make guests stay in Duesseldorf an enjoyable one. This... More
Less than a kilometre from Konigsallee shopping district, Hotel Nikko Duesseldorf offers guests with deluxe accommodations and a convenient central Duesseldorf location. Set in the financial... More
Am Stresemannplatz 1 Map
Rate includes up to 40% off, Breakfast and more
Providing elegant accommodations in an ideal location close to transport hubs and points of interest, Mercure Hotel Duesseldorf City Center makes for a suitable base for discerning travellers... More
Featuring comfortable accommodations and quality services without the hefty price tag, Novum Hotel Plaza Duesseldorf Zentrum makes for an ideal base for budget-conscious travellers looking to... More
Assuring courteous service and quality amenities, the Wyndham Garden Duesseldorf Mettmann prides itself as an ideal location for business and leisure travellers. GeneralFor your special or... More
Whether in the city of Duesseldorf for business or leisure, Asahi Hotel Duessseldorf offering standardised service and facilities makes for an ideal place to stay and explore this legacy-rich city.... More
Niederkasseler Lohweg 18a Map
Advance Purchase- Stay 2 Save 15%
Combining elegance and efficiency, the Innside By Melia Duesseldorf Seestern Hotel has a refined setting in the city of Duesseldorf, comfortable and unusual in every detail, for those who do not... More
Refine your search
- Kunsthalle (Art gallery) hotels
- Theatre and der Ko hotels
- Altstadt hotels
- Karlstadt hotels
- Kunsthalle Düsseldorf hotels
- Schadowstraße hotels
- Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-Westfalen hotels
- Königsallee hotels
- Kunstakademie Dusseldorf hotels
- Schneider-Wibbel-Gasse hotels
- Kunst im Tunnel hotels
- Museum Kunstpalast hotels