Commonly called the Gedächtniskirche, but also known as the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church, this Protestant church in Berlin’s Charlottenburg area is a popular tourist spot. The Gedächtniskirche is the second structure built on this site, as most of the original building was destroyed during a bombing raid in 1943. Only the entrance hall and part of the spire of the old church remain, and both have been incorporated into the new structure, and was built between 1959 and 1963. Kaiser Wilhelm II built the original church in 1891, to commemorate his grandfather, Kaiser Wilhelm I.
- Peruse the remnants of the destroyed Berlin church inside the Gedenkhalle, which documents the structure’s history and contains mosaics and other objects that survived the bombing.
- Admire the modern walls of Berlin’s new Gedächtniskirche, which contain 21, 334 panes of mostly blue stained glass, designed by French artist Gabriel Loire and inspired by the stained glass in the Chartres Cathedral.
- Contemplate the figure of Christ, with hands lifted in blessing suspended above the altar; worked in tombac and brass with a high copper content, this figure was created by Munich artist Karl Hemmeter.
Berlin has an extensive public transportation system, so reaching Gedächtniskirche, located near Breitscheidplatz in the Charlottenburg district, is quite easy. Visitors can reach the church through U-Bahn lines U2, U9 and U12 and S-Bahn lines S3, S5 and S7. Exit at the Zoologischer Garten stop. More than 12 bus lines also stop near the Gedächtniskirche. Many of the public transportation lines originate at Berlin’s Hauptbahnhof, which connects the city with many other major European cities through high-speed Intercity Express trains. Berlin currently has two international airports, and the new Brandenburg Airport is set to open in 2013.
Situated close to transport links and local attractions, aletto Hotel Kudamm makes for a strategic base for travellers in the vibrant Germany capital. A trip to Berlin is incomplete without a stop... More
Echoing a vibrant and avant-garde design, Axel Hotel Berlin makes for an ideal urban retreat for hip travellers looking to enjoy the attractions of Berlin. This gay- and hetero-friendly hotel... More
Knesebeckstrasse 8-9 Map
Stay 5 save 25%
Whether you are travelling to Berlin for business or pleasure, Novum Hotel Gates Berlin Charlottenburg offers an unbeatable combination of comfort, convenience and outstanding personal service to... More
After a long day of exploring the sights of the city, such as the nearby Gardens of the World, treat yourself to a soothing massage at the Wellness Centre of the InterContinental BERLIN. A dip in... More
Hotel Berlin, Berlin welcomes discerning travellers to the capital of Germany with chic accommodations, strategic location and modern design. This contemporary hotel in Berlin offers convenient... More
Nice hotel to a good price.
Quentin Design Hotel Berlin is a boutique property that caters to travellers looking for elegantly designed accommodations and personalised service. This Berlin hotel places vacationers in close... More
We'll be back!
Ivbergs Hotel Premium combines comfort and elegance ideal for chic vacationers exploring the historic capital of Germany. While on a Berlin holiday, visitors can check out the wide range of species... More
Conveniently set at the heart of Berlin near shopping venues and must-see attractions, Scandic Berlin Kurfuerstendamm makes for an ideal base for corporate and leisure travellers discovering the... More
girls weekend break
Knesebeckstrasse 63 Map
10% voucher for the Restaurant Knese
Whether in cosmopolitan Berlin for business or leisure, travellers find convenient base in the comfortable accommodations and accessible location of Berlin Plaza Hotel Am Kurfuerstendamm. This... More
Refine your search
- Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church hotels
- Europa Center hotels
- Berlin Zoo hotels
- Erotic Museum hotels
- Zoological Gardens hotels
- Bahnhof Zoo hotels
- Berlin Zoological Garden hotels
- Museum of Photography hotels
- Helmut Newton Foundation hotels
- Theater des Westens hotels
- Galerie Nierendorf hotels
- Kaufhaus de Westens hotels