Le Mont Saint Michel hotels
The former tidal island, monastic complex and commune of Mont St. Michel may be one of the most unusual destinations in France, if not Europe. On the English Channel of Normandy, the UNESCO World Heritage Site draws millions of tourists and pilgrims every year. At the mouth of the Couesnon River, a narrow land bridge accessible at low tide was once the only connection between Mont St. Michel and the rest of France. Modern agriculture and development has had a negative impact on the landscape however, though a hydraulic dam project aims to transform Mont St. Michel into an island once more.
Whatever the case, the peerless abbey of Mont St. Michel is a phenomenal place. Construction began on the original walls in the 8th century, though much of what remains, from the abbey to the tiny village of Mont St. Michel, was built between the 11th and 16th centuries.
Mont St Michel History
- Abbaye du Mont-Saint-Michel – The Benedictine Abbey of Mont-Saint-Michel was once one of Christianity's most important pilgrimage sites between the 8th and 18th centuries.
- La Chapelle-Saint-Aubert – This beautiful chapel is another example of gorgeous religious architecture.
- Eglise St-Ouen – Here travellers can experience another amazing architectural masterpiece.
- Eglise St-Maclou – This religious site is worth adding to the travel itinerary.
- Notre-Dame Sous Terre Chapel – This chapel was built in the year 966 by the first Benedictine monks and has become somewhat of a legend in its own right.
Mont St Michel Art & Culture
- Maison de Bertrand du Guesclin – This stunning medieval house is filled with incredibly preserved furniture and artifacts.
- Museum of History – The name of this museum says it all. It is the perfect place for history enthusiasts to delve into the rich past of this area.
- Maritime Museum – This museum offers valuable information on the unique seaside ecosystems of this coastal region.
- Archeoscope du Mont St Michel – This is a fantastic place to enjoy free performances, provided your knowledge of the French language is up to standard.
- La Grande Rue – Take some time to experience one of the oldest parts of town. This magical street is a window into years gone by.
Mont St Michel Shopping
- Aux Arms Reunes – For amazing weapons, berets, earthenware and other interesting bits and bobs, this is the place to look.
- Boutique La Mere Poulard – Here you will find delicious chocolates, biscuits, cider and other amazing treats.
- La Montoise – This is a fantastic place to buy handmade lace and embroidery products in Mont St Michel.
- La Sirene – Here you will find a wide selection of stunning silver Celtic jewellery.
- Les Lutins – This shop is dedicated to selling top-quality, locally made sailor wear.
Gay & Lesbian Mont St Michel
- Jardin Gorbeau – This classy, gay-owned B&B welcomes people of all orientations.
- Bar Salon Lac Gravel Enr – This nightclub is gay friendly.
- Le Chat Chocolat – Offering a warm, comfortable and tranquil ambiance for gay visitors in Mont St Michel.
- Piano Bar Panoramique – While it may not be exclusively gay-oriented, this chilled bar does not discriminate against members of the LGBT community.
- Old Salt House– This is another gay-owned establishment that welcomes all travellers with open arms.
Mont St Michel Outdoor
- Ramparts – Enjoy the view from atop the fortification walls.
- Bay – Enjoy the cool, salty breeze on a trip around the bay.
- La Merveille – Not to be missed is the “marvel” located in the salty marshes.
- Cloisters – From here, you will be able to enjoy the best possible view of Mont St Michel.
- Roc Aquarium – Take some time to enjoy the rich marine life of the surrounding areas.
Mont St Michel Sport
- Take a micro flight over the island and enjoy the Normandy coastline from a completely new perspective.
- Take part in a variety of water sports at nearby St Malo.
- Go on a hiking trail on the island of Tombelaine.
- Take a guided tour across the bay in Mont St Michel.
- Enjoy a round of golf in Dinard.
- Manoir de Brion
- Notre Dame des Champs
- Saint-Gervais Basilica
- Mont St. Michel Abbey
- Maritime and Ecology Museum
- Mont St. Michel Marathon
- Mont St. Michel Market
- La Route du Rock Saint-Malo
- World Folk Music Festival Saint-Malo
- La Mère Poulard
- Du Guesclin
- Creperie La Siréne
- La Brasserie du Sillon
- Le Bar Bull
- Le Lightning
- Le 109
- Le Glencar Bar Pub
Mont St. Michel has a temperate climate, with mild weather throughout the year.
- Winter (December to February) 3-10°C
- Spring (March to May) 5-16°C
- Summer (June to September) 10-20°C
- Fall (October to November) 7-16°C
Your hotel booking club!
Hear about our best travel deals first when you sign up for our emails!
La Mere Poulard Hotel Mont St Michel takes travellers back in time through cosy accommodations in the heart of medieval city Mont Saint-Michel. While in this tidal island, guests can relive the... More
route du Mont Saint Michel Map
Rate includes up to 40% off
Mercure Mont Saint Michel Hotel has been thrilling vacationers with its unique Modernist architecture even if it initially opened its doors in 1917. Discover the historical richness of France... More
Located near the entrance of the island of Mont St Michel, Les Terrasses Poulard Hotel Mont St Michel offers travellers an ideal base for exploring the historic village in France. While on holiday,... More
Set in a rocky islet amidst the changing tides of Bay of Mont-Saint-Michel, La Digue Hotel Mont St Michel makes for an ideal base for discovering the wonders of picturesque Mont Saint Michel. This... More
Tucked within a landscaped park surrounded by flower gardens, Relais Saint Michel Hotel offers a serene sanctuary overlooking the famous Mont Saint-Michel. Holidaymakers can engage in sightseeing... More
Situated at the foot of a 14th-century monastery within a historic tidal island, Le Mouton Blanc Hotel Mont St. Michel creates an inviting haven suited for holidaymakers and travellers in this area... More
Hotel Le Saint Aubert Mont St. Michel is makes for an idyllic retreat with its cosy accommodations and picturesque location overlooking the English Channel. Listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site,... More
Blending inimitable atmosphere and comfortable accommodation, the BEST WESTERN Hotel Montgomery Pontorson caters to the needs of discerning travellers. GeneralThis property features well-equipped... More
Holidaymakers and tourists looking for tranquil getaway from the bustling city find luxurious retreat at the elegant suites of L'ermitage Hotel Mont Saint Michel. While exploring this Normandy... More
An ideal place to enjoy an exceptional and relaxing environment, The BEST WESTERN Le Moulin De Ducey Hotel is an old mill, turned into a hotel of charm, built by the riverside in a quiet area. ... More