Alpe d'Huez hotels
Whether you’re a fan of history, scenery, winter sports or just love to indulge in the Après-Ski (dahhling), holiday destinations don’t come much prettier than the Alps. Good looks are to be expected from somewhere nestled on the border of France and Italy, and good looks are certainly what you’ll get in the Alps – for a price, of course…
The alpine villages of Grenoble (‘Capital of the Alps’) Chambéry and Chamonixwill capture the fur-clad ski bunny within even the most jaded of travellers. And while Mont Blanc Massifmay sound like somewhere Ali G would go on holiday, its beauty can scarcely be described. A trip to the Alps is as close as you’ll get to heaven on Earth – and with its highest summit standing at nearly five kilometres (3.1 miles), you may just be able to reach up and touch paradise.
Alps’ Top 10
10. Chamonix Host of the 1924 Winter Olympics, this ski town has an old-world charm that will leave you enchanted.
5. Musée de Grenoble This fact-farm is a great place to get your fill of Alpine education.
9. Mont Blanc The highest summit in the Alps is breathtaking in more ways than one.
4. Palace of the Parliament of Dauphiné This was the home of the Parlement du Dauphiné until the French Revolution.
8. Château de Chambéry Built in 1245 by the first counts of Savoy and renovated in the 17th century by Napoleon, this regal residence packs an historical punch.
3. Archaeological Museum of Saint- Laurent With ruins dating back to the third century CE, you’ll want to keep your camera handy.
7. Fontaine des Éléphants Built in 1838 to honour the feats of Benoît de Boigne while he was in India, the fountain is Chambéry’s most famous landmark.
2. Val-d’Isere For the well-to-do Euro elite, Val-d’Isere is the place to ski and be skiin’.
6. La Bastille An ancient Grenoble fortification, the stonework will make you feel far younger than a syringe full of Botox ever could.
1. Three Valleys Region The largest ski area in the world, the valleys are connected by an astounding 183 lifts, transporting approximately 260,000 people per hour. ‘What the…?’ is the phrase you’re looking for!
French Alps History
- The Bastille - This 18th century fort is found on the mountainside over Grenoble.
- Palace of the Parliament of Dauphiné – A stunning 16th century palace that was constructed as Place Saint Andrée in Grenoble.
- The Pont des Amours - The “Lovers Bridge” is a beautiful example of 20th century iron architecture located on Annecy’s Lake bank.
- The Palais de l’Isle - This 12th century prison is the symbol of Annecy and one of the most photographed sights in the French Alps.
- The Cathedral of Saint Pierre of Annecy - This 16th century cathedral houses many baroque pieces.
French Alps Art and Culture
- Museum of Grenoble - Egyptian, Greek and Roman artefacts amid extensive collections of paintings.
- Archaeological museum of Saint-Laurent - 3rd century artefacts found inside a 12th century Benedictine church.
- The Grenoble Jazz Festival - Held every March, this French Alps festival draws the region’s best musicians.
- Maison de la culture 2 - This art centre hosts an array of dance, theatre and musical performances.
- The Summum - Largest concert hall in the area and home to many famous musicians.
French Alps Shopping
- Fromagerie des Alpages - Alpine specialty shop dealing with cheeses from around the French Alps.
- Ste-Claire Market - This 19th century market sells the best fresh fruit and flowers in Grenoble.
- Pas Sage Oblige - World concept store with fashion, jewellery and sewing workshops.
- Val Sports - Found outside of Annecy, this shop can supply all skiing related needs.
- Chocolatier Zugmeyer - This Grenoble specialty shop sells the best chocolates in the region.
Held over two weeks each March, the Grenoble Jazz Festival is a must for all groovy cats.
In September/October, the Festival des Barbares in Grenoble boasts theatre, music and comedians from around the globe.
There are a number of world championship ski and snowboarding events held in the Alps each year – if you can bear to watch the death-defying speeds and jumps.
When To Go
- The Alps are, understandably, at their best in winter. Strap on some skis and try your luck on the slopes, or sample some hot chocolate and watch the fire from dawn till dusk and back to the dawn.
- If snow isn’t your thing, the Alps are (almost) just as beautiful in summer, with plenty of festivities to keep punters amused.
- From town to town, a car is your best option, as it gives you the freedom and independence to move around at your leisure.
- If you’re headed uphill, the network of chairlifts and cable cars is as extensive as it is gut-churningly high.
- On the way back down, the best way to see the Alps is on a pair of skis as the mountains whiz past your peripherals.
Featuring a fantastic location and presenting luxurious accommodation, this hotel in Alps is just the place to reside for an enjoyable vacation. GeneralGuests can make use of the meeting and... More
Residence Pierre & Vacances Ours Blanc is a serene winter sanctuary that offers homey comforts in L'Alpe D'Huez. Apart from taking in picturesque vistas from lakes such as Lac Noir and Lac Blanc,... More
Enjoy a fun family ski vacation by setting base at the tastefully appointed accommodations of Pierre & Vacances Les Bergers nestled in the heart of the Alpe d'Huez ski resort. Apart from skiing and... More
Madame Vacances Hotel Le Royal Ours Blanc invites guests with well equipped accommodation, fine service and up to date amenities. This property offers faxing and photocopying facilities for the... More
Hotel Les Grandes Rousses is a charming and friendly hotel that offers unsurpassed service and comfortable accommodation to make your stay a memorable one. GeneralGuests at Hotel Les Grandes... More
Belambra Les Bergers Alps Apartment makes for a suitable base for ski and outdoor enthusiasts visiting with comfortable accommodations set amidst the scenic mountain pastures of the French Alps.... More
With well-furnished living spaces housed in a set in the heart of Grandes Rousses ski area, Pierre et Vacances Les Melezes makes for an ideal retreat for ski enthusiasts on short or extended stays... More
1 Promenade des Ecrins Map
Save 25% on your stay
Featuring deluxe accommodations nestled at the foot of the pistes in the ski village resort, Hotel Mercure Les Deux Alpes 1800 makes for an ideal winter destination in this side of France. While on... More