Denarau Island hotels
Delightful Denarau Island
Everything you’ve heard about Fiji is true: crystal clear water, uninhabited tropical islands, white sands and impossibly big smiles. Over the last century, Fiji has transformed itself into the ultimate tourist getaway – faraway enough from anything to be called a retreat, and warm enough to be called paradise. And on Denarau Island, you get to experience all that, and more.
Denarau Island is one of the major resort islands of Fiji, offering the creature comforts of Western civilisation in a South Pacific idyll. The 332 islands of Fiji are all easily accessible from Denarau Island and whether you’re white water rafting on Mamanucas, playing golf on immaculate greens surrounded by tropical forests at the Pearl, visiting the shopping and dining hub of Suvaor just lying down on the remote beaches of Yasawas, Denarau Island and the rest of Fiji will simply enchant you.
Denarau Island’s Top 10
10. Suva Municipal Market If you can escape the trajectory of wheelbarrow delivery boys, the Suva Markets are a treat for all the senses.
5. Fiji Museum For an interesting day out, the museum in Suva focuses on the history of Fiji, from tribal customs to British colonisation.
9. Island of Malamala One of many deserted islands easily accessible from Denarau, Malamala is great for living out those Robinson Crusoe fantasies.
4. Navala Village Take a step back in time in this quaint village with over 200 traditionally thatched houses.
8. Sabeto Mud Pool Renowned throughout the Pacific for its restorative powers, the Sabeto Mud Pool is the ancient equivalent to a day spa.
3. Garden of the Sleeping Giant With over 2,000 kinds of orchids and innumerable local plants, this is a true tropical paradise.
7. Thurston Gardens Originally the Suva Botanical Gardens, the beautiful gardens surround the administrative centre of the Fijian nation.
2. Denarau Beach Controversy rages over whether it is natural or man-made, but this beach has the warmest, most inviting waters in the region.
6. Arts Village Highlighting the ancient craftsmanship of the Fijian Islands, the Arts Village delves into modern applications of ancient traditions.
1. Sri Siva Subramaniya Temple The largest Hindu temple in the southern hemisphere is emblazoned with amazing colours.
Denarau Island History
- Sigatoka Sand Dunes – An archaeological site in Fiji near the Sigatoka River.
- Parliament of Fiji – The hub of Fiji's government, whose building was designed in 1987 and opened in 1992.
- Salad Bowl Cave Tour – Go deep into the caves of Fiji.
- Roman Catholic Cathedral – Built in Suva in 1902, it is one of the island’s most notable landmarks.
- Shree Lakshmi Narayan Temple – Built in Suva in 1921 to serve the needs of the Northern Indians who migrated to the island.
Denarau Island Art & Culture
- Maurea Entertainers – A group of young men who dance traditional cultural dances.
- Mariamma Temple – Located in Fiji, the temple hosts an annual fire-walking festival.
- Fiji Museum – Provides an in-depth view of the history of Fiji and contains art, musical instruments and jewellery.
- Bula Festival – Celebrated yearly in Nadi, the festival features a mix of events.
- Hibiscus Festival – Another cultural event held in Suva that features the renowned Hibiscus Ball.
Denarau Island Shopping
- Port Denarau – A 10,000-square-metre shopping centre housing an array of retail stores and restaurants.
- Suva Curio and Handicraft Centre – Located in nearby Suva, this store sells locals crafts at bargain prices.
- Fiji Surf – Located in Nadi, you can purchase boards, rent equipment and get repairs.
- Pure Fiji – This is a small spa in Fiji, which sells beautiful soaps, creams and scrubs made from natural ingredients.
- Boom Box – A Suva music store that sells the latest releases from the West and Fiji.
Denarau Island Gay & Lesbian
- Radisson Blue Resort – A five-star hotel that is gay friendly and offers a variety of amenities, including a spa and pool.
- Sheraton Fiji Resort – A GLBT-friendly, five-star resort with restaurants and other amenities onsite.
- Dive Kadavu Beach Resort – This resort is located in Fiji and has a bar and lounge popular with the local gay community.
- Lucky Eddies – A favourite local bar that is popular with Fiji's women.
- The Piano Bar – A gay club located in Suva that features live jazz singers.
Denarau Island Outdoor
- Schooner Wales Tales – Take a boat tour around the island.
- Storck Cruises Day Cruise – Specializes in cruises around the island and snorkelling.
- Reef Safari – The largest scuba diving company in Denarau offers diving trips and certification.
- Western Beach Area – Lay out in the sun while enjoying the view of the Pacific Ocean or go surfing.
- Northern Beach Region – A great place to launch for many water activities, such as kayaking, parasailing and windsurfing.
Denarau Island Sport
- Play golf at one of the island’s premier resorts.
- Grab a friend and play a round of tennis or racquetball.
- Rent a surfboard and catch some waves at the beach.
- Compete or watch the Adrenalin Fiji Fishing Classic in December.
- Go scuba diving in the beautiful pristine water surrounding the island.
Denarau Island Events
Steeped in Hindu belief and tradition, Thaipusam is a bright celebration of faith and unity for the Hindu community of Fiji (January).
Centred around youth development, June’s Hibiscus Festival sets out to find the best and brightest of Fiji to show off to the world.
With a parade, a Bollywood night and beauty pageant, the Bula Festival in July is guaranteed fun.
Dubbed the ‘caviar of the south sea’, millions of balolo worms rise to the surface to mate each October, and are greeted by locals and tourists attempting to catch the largest number in the Rising of the Balolo.
When To Go
- April to October is by far the best time to visit, as it is neither too hot nor too humid.
- November to April is the best time to visit for snorkelling, diving and yachting, as the water is warmer and visibility is higher.
- July and August are easily the busiest months, so be prepared for price hikes.
- Taxis are cheap and reliable, and provide an unofficial guide service.
- There are a variety of options for hopping between islands, from cheap ferries to luxurious motor yachts.
- To make the most of the tropical sun without the strain on your legs, bicycles are becoming a very popular tourist option.
The island nation of Fiji is the ultimate South Pacific outpost for many. The country is a dense tropical and volcanic archipelago of 322 islands, about one third of which are permanently inhabited.
Although the vast majority of the population resides in the capital city of Suva, home to 78,000 people, tourists amplify the numbers exponentially for much of the year. Resort developments are ceaseless in Fiji, as more and more people seek to carve out a slice of paradise in this gorgeous South Pacific destination. While the vast majority of islands feature remote wilderness in the interior, Fiji has some of the most immaculate coastline in the world.
Denarau Island has become one of the most popular destinations in the South Pacific. The posh Fiji resort island offers superlative luxury accommodation, recreation, water sports and convenient access to other beautiful islands in the proximate area.
The Denarau marina is hyperactive with activity, even by Fiji standards. The shiny port offers charter boat tours to some of the most pictorial spots in the South Pacific and ferry transportation to Mamanuca and Yasawa islands. The waterfront area also has a retail and commercial plaza, with restaurants and bars.
The town of Nadi is a mere 3 km away from Denarau. Attractions in town include the Sri Siva Subramaniya Temple. The Hindu spiritual site reflects the Indian heritage of Fiji. When Great Britain made the islands a colonial base in the 19th century, waves of contract labourers from India were sent to the South Pacific.
Today, 38% of the population is Indo-Fijian, with Hindustani an official language.
Other attractions of note in Nadi are the Waqadra Botanical Gardens and the Garden of the Sleeping Giant.
Several of the resorts on Denarau feature posh amenity comforts to pamper visitors to the island. From infinity pools to outdoor spa treatments and swim-up bars, the ultimate in extravagance and luxury rest and relaxation is on the menu.
The Denarau Golf and Racquet Club, with a championship 18 hole course, illustrates how a small country like Fiji can produce a world class player like native son Vijay Singh. In conditions like these, with panoramic views of crystalline waters and tropical mountains, lovers of the sport could play 36 holes a day. The club also features natural grass tennis courts and a superb restaurant where diners can grill their own supper alfresco.
Other events in Denarau centre on sports and recreation. Thrill-seekers and adrenaline addicts can skydive, parasail, kayak, wakeboard or cliff dive. Tamer pursuits also abound of course.
With Fiji in the South Pacific, the weather is about as perfect as planet Earth can muster for one location. The temperature throughout the year hovers between 20°C and 32°C. Of note, cyclone season is from November to April.
Denarau Island on WikipediDenarau Island Official Guide
7 hotels in Denarau Island
Offering luxurious accommodations set on 10-acre lush land close to the ocean and golf course, Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island makes for an ideal retreat for vacationers looking for a Fiji... More
Surrounded by swaying palms and the azure waters of the Pacific, Sheraton Fiji Resort Denarau Island welcomes all types of holidaymakers for a pleasant and peaceful stay. GeneralAs the largest... More
Travellers looking to experience a tropical island holiday can book a stay at Fiji Beach Resort and Spa Managed by Hilton. At this sophisticated beachfront resort in Denarau Island, tourists find... More
This is a charming and friendly hotel that offers quality service and comfortable accommodation to make your stay a memorable one. GeneralThe Sheraton Denarau Villas features 7 multi-functional... More
Featuring warm hospitality, personalised service and high standards of comfort, the Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa welcomes you to an unforgettable holiday in Denarau Island. GeneralThe resort... More
At Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa, you are transported to a world of comfort and refinement. It perfectly blends Fijian tradition with modern amenities to ensure a satisfying stay at one of the world's... More