Puerto Plata hotels
One of the most popular vacation spots in the Caribbean, Puerto Plata is actually on the north shore of the Dominican Republic on the Atlantic Ocean coast. With dozens of beach resorts to choose from, the city of just under 500,000 people welcomes scores of international visitors throughout the year, most of whom come for the idyllic tropical backdrop.
With at least 100,000 beds in the city alone, tourism is the bread and butter of Puerto Plata's economy. The main action in town centers around the coastline and on the sandy confines of places like Playa Dorada, La Poza del Castillo, Long Beach, Costámbar and Bergantín, to name just several. For those in search of a break from the beach, the city has some old colonial landmarks still intact, in addition to museums and cigar factory and rum distillery tours. Ecological tours however, up and down the north coast, provide the best overview of what Puerto Plata has to offer.
Puerto Plata History
- Fort San Felipe – One of the earliest forts built in the Americas
- Concepcion de la Vega – Columbus built this fortified city, whose ruins are now a historical site in Puerto Plata.
- Museum of Taino Art – This museum houses an excavated tomb.
- San Felipe Apostol Cathedral – This Puerto Plata landmark was built in the early 16th century and has been destroyed and rebuilt several times.
- Puerto Plata Lighthouse – This late-19th-century Puerto Plata monument was built to illustrate the industrial progress of the area.
Puerto Plata Art & Culture
- Teleferico – The cable car to this Puerto Plata attraction offers the best views in the city.
- Brugal Company – This Puerto Plata rum factory features tours.
- Amber Museum – Home to the world’s biggest collection of amber.
- The Historic Center of Puerto Plata – A quick walk around this area will allow visitors to get a feel for the culture of Puerto Plata.
- Monumento Gregorio Luperón – Honours one of the most important figures in Dominican history.
Puerto Plata Shopping
- Tienda Jimenez – The best store in Puerto Plata to find clothing made by popular designers.
- Ricky Fashion – If you are looking for perfume or designer clothes, this Puerto Plata store is a great place to start.
- Joyeria Las Americas – This store has been around for more than two decades.
- Heladeria Mariposa – A great place to find gifts while in Puerto Plata.
- Mercado – This Puerto Plata market sells just about everything.
Gay & Lesbian Puerto Plata
- Hotel Arcos – This gay and lesbian friendly Puerto Plata hotel offers great views.
- Sea Horse Ranch – Gay and lesbian travellers often come to this Puerto Plata hotspot for the cabaret shows.
- Hotel la Plantacion – Located directly on the beach, this is a great private hotel for those looking for som ething romantic in Puerto Plata.
- Casa Serena – This gay owned hotel features an outdoor pool.
- Bambu Club – This popular gay and lesbian club is a great place for dancing.
Puerto Plata Outdoor
- Damajaqua Cascades – The 27 waterfalls make this one of the most popular hiking spots.
- Jasmine Spa and Wellness Holistic Health Centre – This tranquil setting includes waterfalls and fresh water pools for a day of relaxation in Puerto Plata.
- Ocean World Adventure Park Marina and Casino – A complete entertainment complex that has something for everyone.
- Paradise Island – A great place to take a day trip for swimming.
- Mount Isabel de Torres – The views atop this Puerto Plata mountain are among the best in the area.
Puerto Plata Sports
- Ride the horses at Rancho Lorilar near Puerto Plata.
- Play a round of golf at Playa Dorada Golf in Puerto Plata.
- Try snorkelling at Golden Beach, the most popular in Puerto Plata.
- Hit the links at the unique Los Mangos Golf Course in Puerto Plata.
- Learn to surf at Long Beach in Puerto Plata.
- Fort San Felipe
- Amber Museum
- Ocean World
- Puerto Plata Botanical Gardens
- La Zona Colonial
- Beach Resorts
- Dominican International Film Festival
- Merengue Festival
- Le Papillon
- El Batay
- Riu Mambo
- Taste Restaurant & Terrace
- Riu Bachata
- Hemingway's Cafe
- Crazy Moon
- Cafe Cito
- Lighthouse Lounge & Disco
The climate of Puerto Plata is tropical and other than heavy intermittent rainfall between May and November, the temperature hovers between 19°C and 30°C throughout the year.
31 hotels in Puerto Plata,
Blue Jack Tar Hotel, Condos & Villas is located just 15 minutes from the International Airport Gregorio Lupern, and 3 miles from the touristic town of Puerto Plata.This gorgeous property is... More
Surrounded by tropical gardens, Celuisma Playa Dorada Beach Resort & Spa offers excellent accommodation and facilities in a beachfront location. The resort places the guests close to casinos,... More
The Puerto Plata Village Hotel mixes the beauty of the Victorian Architecture of the beginning of the century with the modern facilities of the nineteenth, offering luxurious accommodation and an... More
If you long for breezy, sun washed mornings and unhurried afternoons and if you imagine escaping to a quiet retreat, the Grand Bahia Principe San Juan - All Inclusive is the place for you that... More
Whether it is a weekend retreat or longer stay, Presidential Suites By Lifestyle Puerto Plata emerges to be the upscale getaway ideally suited for serenity seekers and romantics. GeneralThe resort... More
Featuring an elegant decor and a warm hospitality, Iberostar Costa Dorada welcomes you for an unforgettable vacation in Puerto Plata. General Guests will have no shortage of things to do with the... More
Be Live Collection Marien - All Inclusive is a stylish retreat offering on-site recreation activities set in the Dominican Republic resort city. This Puerto Plata hotel places holidaymakers near... More
Cofresi Beach No.1 P.O. Box 608 Map
Being an oasis of relaxation, this property offers unsurpassed service, luxurious accommodation and pleasant ambience for discerning travellers. GeneralThe hotel offers a health and fitness... More
Vacationers looking to experience a laid-back beach escapade in Cabarete book a stay at the seafront accommodations of Celuisma Cabarete Beach Hotel Adults Only. While in the northern coasts of... More